💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Beyonce dragged for doing blackface, using Africa as a gimmick.

GiovanniDean

Featured Posts

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HoneyB

I’m going to post a quote from an atrl user named Phantom pertaining to the critiques. Because I find it interesting and I share similar sentiments:

”It's a tradeoff that's uncomfortable but is ultimately always going to be leaving some people unsatisfied, so I never see any net positive outcome. 

Beyoncé, whether you like her or not, is for many non-black people a cultural portal into traditional African and African American motifs and themes. It is not debatable, especially moreso than most AA artists. 

As a result, her cultural forays will always be 'framed' in a way that is marketable and accessible; both her and her teamwould be remarkably myopic to assume that only one demographic is consuming her content. 

But in order to make it marketable for her western consumers, it will have to be 'exoticized' to a certain degree... Thus is the case for all artists trying to represent their culture, really; and so while these criticisms are valid they are also a bit unfair. 

I 100% agree that the photoshoot is absolutely wrong/uncalled for, and I wish she would post a statement about it.

Idk I’m not a black woman so I’m not going to police who should and shouldn't be offended, the criticisms are valid. I don’t think she’s racist and has clearly changed from this but that is just my opinion.

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

I feel like there's a bored group of people online in a race for cancelling as much people as possible. Like, some of them cases you right, but sometimes you just have to understand the art and the message that causes artist to do it.

This is one of the cases I feel isn't right.

I'm not Beyonce fan, but I do live in a country where black facing when done in form of art, comedy included is considered freedom of expression. 

And I'm from the 'wrong' ethnicity here. Never even bothered getting offended by actors bronzing their faces. It's either good or bad, as all jokes are, if it's nasty and made to offend, it will soon be reported, or taken to court for hate speech or racism.

There's a line between art, freedom of expression, and racism.

Sorry if that's not popular or you find it offensive, would never mean that. I see things a bit different, I do stand with the need for change, but I feel it should be less radical for it to still be considered as truely liberal, as in freedom. 

joesuda
1 minute ago, deified said:

i thought beyonce was black 

I think the problem here comes from a place where an american (Beyonce, who has not lived in Africa nor have her parents lived in Africa) is trying to represent and exploit African culture for profit and claiming that there is one homogenous African culture whilst it has a lot of them. Aka an american appropriating African culture which she directly has not a lot connection with. 

Knew you'd make fun of me

Quartz

...now even Beyonce is getting dragged for being black? Am I missing something?

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

KillerMonster

Interesting... I’m going to keep my mouth shut on this one. 

Don’t play with me, it just hurts me.

FentyGa

i mean i love her and want to support her, but...i see it

i mean what is she really doing for africa besides using it in her work? ofc she’s allowed to use it, it’s her creative expression, but it does make you think.

4 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

Beyoncé, whether you like her or not, is for many non-black people a cultural portal into traditional African and African American motifs and themes. It is not debatable, especially moreso than most AA artists. 

A generalization. I know about different countries in Africa and I dont use Beyoncé as a reference of the different cultures and the richness of Africa 

RenegAde

As an African I do find it weird when black american celebs celebrate Africanness and profit off our aesthetic  but won't even step their foot here. 

Apart from the above, The other  criticisms about this photos being blackface sound extremely stupid to me 

JusKeepBreathin

Meanwhile Kelly looking like a Goddess 

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King Jr.

6 minutes ago, Joesuda said:

I think the problem here comes from a place where an american (Beyonce, who has not lived in Africa nor have her parents lived in Africa) is trying to represent and exploit African culture for profit and claiming that there is one homogenous African culture whilst it has a lot of them. Aka an american appropriating African culture which she directly has not a lot connection with. 

It's interesting because a lot of african-americans, I believe, do not know what country in africa they are from, and therefore are not in touch with their own culture, or never visited Africa, but they are outraged by Beyoncé using "africa as a gimmick". Beyoncé apparently has never been to Africa. So basically nobody seems to really know about Africa in this conversation on Twitter...but thats jsut my theory

Skabi

justin bieber, ansel elgort, nicki minaj and now beyonce gets dragged too?? no one is safe :bradley: my girl gagi.... your time is coming :bradley::bradley::bradley:

if beyonce was all about her experience of a black woman, she would sing about being born in a cradle of gold, having studied at a private school, being evangelical and republican registered for most of her life.

South Blonde
12 minutes ago, HoneyB said:

But in order to make it marketable for her western consumers, it will have to be 'exoticized' to a certain degree...

The chills this sentence gave me...

Don't you think maybe they are the same thing? Love and attention?

GiovanniDean
12 minutes ago, Joesuda said:

I think the problem here comes from a place where an american (Beyonce, who has not lived in Africa nor have her parents lived in Africa) is trying to represent and exploit African culture for profit 

Yeah that too.

Also I saw people mentioning the fact that her ancestors were white slave owners,something she confessed herself last year. 

Archived