Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Katy Perry - 'Smile' Discussion

COOOK

Featured Posts

Gangie
4 minutes ago, Anderson123 said:

Terrible choice that they decided to keep old singles in there. They should've made them bonus tracks or something and have a body of work that can stand on their own feet.

Inb4 NRO and HIH are the best on the album... and that’s why they are included :bear:

If I like it, then that's what I get!

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
xoxo Craig
6 minutes ago, Gangie said:

It feels like she’s trying so much only to make things worse... She should’ve stayed with NRO and made it the Official lead but instead, she chose to make some clownery... like literally... 

random GIF

She literally teased Smile's theme with the Never Really Over lyric video

20200709-174052.jpg

She knew what she was doing...

The singles in 2019 were more than just dropping singles or doing too much... she was testing the waters, and giving fans songs that weren't necessarily gonna be on the album as a snack to keep us fed

End Racism Now

jimmytimestep
20 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

The singles in 2019 were more than just dropping singles or doing too much... she was testing the waters, and giving fans songs that weren't necessarily gonna be on the album as a snack to keep us fed

If that's what she was doing, then it was a terribly misguided move to waste possibly her best song ever as a one-off, rather than using it to launch an album campaign as a proper lead single.

If we had got Smile as a droplet first, then Small Talk and HIH, and then she launched the album campaign with NRO as lead and Daisies as a second single, she'd be on track to have a smash hit album. IMO.

i hope the real smashes haven't shown their hands yet, otherwise I have a bad feeling this album will be rather boring.

xoxo Craig

Check what Katy bought...

Red Clown nose

Smiley ballons (in bulk)

Sticks & Stones (in Daisies she says "took some sticks and stones showed em I could build a house)

Candy canes (in bulk) (possibly a nod to teenage dream, but I'm thinking the Cozy Little Christmas video)

.... the way she planned this :bradley:

End Racism Now

xoxo Craig
2 minutes ago, jimmytimestep said:

If that's what she was doing, then it was a terribly misguided move to waste possibly her best song ever as a one-off, rather than using it to launch an album campaign as a proper lead single.

If we had got Smile as a droplet first, then Small Talk and HIH, and then she launched the album campaign with NRO as lead and Daisies as a second single, she'd be on track to have a smash hit album. IMO.

Never Really Over, while amazing, isn't Katy's best song :bear:  I think it was a smart move because Never Really Over got people talking about Katy again, and after the disaster of Witness, it showed that that type of music could be what's to come. It did well on its own despite the lack of promo, and showed the GP were still here for Katy. The reception she got from that song was massive. 

Small Talk was designed to just be a small song for fans. Harleys In Hawaii sounded like an album cut, and showed there can be different sounds to the album from Katy. Daisies is the first proper single from the album, but is almost like a mix of all 3 previous singles (NRO, ST, HIH)... so I expect this album to have a few song sound like NRO, a few songs that sound like HIH, a few songs that sound like a mix like Daisies, and a few songs that are reminiscent of her older work but made fresher like Smile the title track. 

I do wish she released this album last year... but I guess she wanted to test out her plan first. I don't think she intended for this album to be a smash hit, but instead to show that she is still Katy Perry and she could smash if she wanted too, or really pushed for it

End Racism Now

thatfoxyfeeling

I’m not feeling it, can imagine the music video having cute visuals but I don’t get how she went from NRO to these lackluster songs. :fatcat:

jimmytimestep
3 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

Never Really Over, while amazing, isn't Katy's best song :bear:  I think it was a smart move because Never Really Over got people talking about Katy again, and after the disaster of Witness, it showed that that type of music could be what's to come. It did well on its own despite the lack of promo, and showed the GP were still here for Katy. The reception she got from that song was massive. 

Small Talk was designed to just be a small song for fans. Harleys In Hawaii sounded like an album cut, and showed there can be different sounds to the album from Katy. Daisies is the first proper single from the album, but is almost like a mix of all 3 previous singles (NRO, ST, HIH)... so I expect this album to have a few song sound like NRO, a few songs that sound like HIH, a few songs that sound like a mix like Daisies, and a few songs that are reminiscent of her older work but made fresher like Smile the title track. 

I do wish she released this album last year... but I guess she wanted to test out her plan first. I don't think she intended for this album to be a smash hit, but instead to show that she is still Katy Perry and she could smash if she wanted too, or really pushed for it

lol NRO is absolutely my favorite Katy song, but to each their own

I hear your point but it just feels messy to me...idk. it's such an odd strategy.

xoxo Craig
3 minutes ago, jimmytimestep said:

lol NRO is absolutely my favorite Katy song, but to each their own

I hear your point but it just feels messy to me...idk. it's such an odd strategy.

It is odd, but I think she wanted to do it this way because of what happened with Witness... and probably it was something the label wanted too :selena:

End Racism Now

SchwineLove

the song is out in my timezone and it's a bop! faith in mainstream pop restored

Gangie
59 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

She literally teased Smile's theme with the Never Really Over lyric video

20200709-174052.jpg

She knew what she was doing...

So... she just should’ve released the album back in 2019. She had her chance. The cover is bad, the official lead is not so good, Smile the song is even worse... the only good thing about this album so far is Never Really Over. And that’s on that.

xoxo Craig
1 minute ago, Gangie said:

So... she just should’ve released the album back in 2019. She had her chance. The cover is bad, the official lead is not so good, Smile the song is even worse... the only good thing about this album so far is Never Really Over. And that’s on that.

The cover is pretty good, Smile is a grower, Daisies is a great song... and there's more to come. And that's on that

End Racism Now

A R T P O P

I don't understand what she's trying to accomplish by releasing lacklustre, inoffensive songs with bland visuals :awkney:

DiamondKing

A good amount of this site wanted Katy to go back to her TD sound and now she did it and it's still wrong :bear: y'all just love to hate on this woman

Gangie
11 minutes ago, xoxo Craig said:

The cover is pretty good, Smile is a grower, Daisies is a great song... and there's more to come. And that's on that

I think I’ll just wait to make my final judgement, but NRO and Harleys are the only songs I really really enjoyed :shrug:.

Never Really Over sounds godly, Harleys sounds good and I can say that about the rest. For me, Katy just lost her path and doesn’t know how to find it back. :shrug:

xoxo Craig
2 minutes ago, Gangie said:

I think I’ll just wait to make my final judgement, but NRO and Harleys are the only songs I really really enjoyed :shrug:.

Never Really Over sounds godly, Harleys sounds good and I can say that about the rest. For me, Katy just lost her path and doesn’t know how to find it back. :shrug:

For me, Katy has never lost her way. Maybe mentally, but never musically. I've honestly loved everything that was released so far, except from Never Worn White... purely because it was a cute song for her pregnancy and nothing more. But everything has been bops, and feels authentically her :shrug:   She's never strayed away from "her path", even taking risks and still pulling it off

End Racism Now

Archived