💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Katy Perry - 'Smile' Discussion

COOOK

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, ConnorFilm said:

Yes!!! Witness had the supreme Roulette, also CTTR and swish swish; from Smile the only song that stands out is NRO and the rest are "ok" :duck:

What if tomorrow I see you again? Should I say that I used to love you?

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BillieGOAT

Only Love is such a sweet song :hug:

This is a cute album! Not a ton of stand outside but none of the songs totally missed the mark for me

Anderson123
1 hour ago, LastNight said:

I wanted to love it but it falls a little flat for me. NRO and HIH remain the supreme songs on the album. I think Only Love is fantastic, and I really enjoyed What Makes A Woman; I wish she'd given us a record that stuck with the direction of these tracks.

I like Katy a lot and I really, really want her to have a well thought-out, cohesive body of work for an album, and I absolutely think she's capable of it. Smile, however, feels a bit like she's thrown a bunch of generic pop songs in amongst some real gems because she thinks she needs to cover that "dance-pop" genre, but I don't think she does at this point. A massive mega smash isn't on the cards for her at the moment, and I wish she'd use that to her advantage and see it as an opportunity to experiment and create something different.

I kind of want her to have her ANTI moment - it felt like that album arrived at a similarly critical point in Rihanna's career. She'd had a few stand alone singles (45S, BBHMM, AO) that maybe didn't reach the dizzying commercial heights expected of Ri up until then, and so she came back with a project that felt like a real 'f-you, I'm not gonna chase the charts, I'm gonna give you something bold and different from me instead.' Of course Work ended up being a mega smash, but the album wasn't typical for Ri. Up until then her records were mainly the hits surrounded by a bunch of fillers, but ANTI had a direction - it didn't feel like just a collection of songs. That's what I want from Katy, with whatever her version of that is.

I think Katy needs a real break from pop music and something like Folklore would do better to her career. She really needs to make a serious record and leave the silly generic songs / kids music aside for a moment. I think Smile intended to do that with some of the tracks but doesn't go too far from it because you can't just shift completely to the opposite unless you can pull it off. Rihanna has this edgy persona that has built her empire with big hits that by the time she came up with Btch Better Have My Money, Pour It Up and Anti, people were SO thirsty for her music that Work and Needed Me managed to be huge hits.

The BPD Monster
6 hours ago, 777777777777777777 said:

Can't Remember to Forget ?

chile anyways so

HausOfHarlow

So I purchased the album on the US iTunes store.... Y'ALL... at the 2:15 mark on Not the End of the World, there's a production glitch. When she says "It's not a funeral" 

UGHHHHHH. How is this possible and why is it not unavoidable? It's one of my favs on the album but this is.... annoying. 

high heeled fem

Not a big Katy fan tbh esp her views 

However-

really liked some songs on prism 

liked some on witness  

Smile is Pretty generic bland pop album :ohwell: 

I do really like Harleys in Hawaii though one of her best :applause:

I’m sure I’ll add 2/3 songs to my workout list like champagne problems & only love. 

It is the second time i have listened a Katys album, and i was expecting something worse, but it is ok, (in a number is like 6-6.5/10), i think that the best songs from the album are NRO, Daisies and Cry About It Later.

The only bad thing i find in this album is that it does not feel cohesive at all, it feels like one of my playlist where i am listening a super serious song, then skip to a dark one, then a funny one.  

ICouldntThinkOfOne

I can describe this album as an overloaded 'meh' of a release that fails to meet any standard set by contemporaries.

Let's start with this; its made up of songs that were never intended to be released on album. When half your album has had its time to shine (and failed to) you need to go back to the drawing board. Never Really Over is okay, but it is a copy and paste of Love You Like That. Small Talk, Harley's in Hawaii, Never Worn White? Why are they here?

New tracks are either lacking something or overworked (which I'll get into). Cry About It Later, melodically and lyrically, is mundane. Teary Eyes is a Rain on Me Rip off, but what's new? its Katy Perry, and we eventually enter the nonsensical and vague self empowerment songs that sound like they were left on the cutting room floor for other albums.

My biggest issue with the album is how utterly tonedeaf it is. Lets be real, 2020 hasn't exactly a global party, but I mean, come on. Songs like 'Not The End of The World' during a global pandemic, and civil uprising globally come across like she actively chose to look the other way. Songs about your lover and you not having any real issues? or being able to go to your mansion or island? come on Katy! 

The worst example of this is What Makes A Woman, which sounds like a knock off Dolly Parton song with none of the umph, that literally just describes the most acceptable way a woman could be; soft, in heels, aware of their looks, aware of their words. Frankly, Katy has never been any of these things, and then it has weird electonic elements? 

In my opinion, what happened with this album is simple; they had no consistent direction or theme and panicked when others released. The disco elements sound like they were added weeks before release because Future Nostalgia did well, but I honestly believe they were trying to follow Gaga's Singer Songwriter Vibe from A Star is Born (Never Worn White, and Daisies), but then panicked when she released Chromatica (then we got several delays, a Daisies dance mix for Pride and this). 

Overall, the album falls flat. Lyrically, its dull. Production is its saving grace at times, but can be overworked, and its already  stale.

ThisGuyTony

I just finished the album.

Teenage Dream > Witness > One of the Boys > PRISM > Smile

liquidsunshine

Gave it a listen yesterday. I rarely hate an album but this one is just really bad. A complete uninspired snooze fest. Certain theme of "rising up" were constantly beaten to death. Having said that, "Only love" is probably the highlight along with NRO but we already heard that song a long time ago.

Archived