Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Katy Perry - 'Smile' Discussion

COOOK

Featured Posts

Musicisfreedom

Can we talk about how Champagne Problems NEEDS to be a single tho?

Bitch I'm Madonna

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brandon96

Great album, all of the songs are good and the album isn’t trying to be something it’s not, safe songs and simple. Negative for me is that I kept on waiting for a good drop with some tracks. ‘Only love’ would do well as a single.. If Taylor Swift released it. Not as much emotion and depth as Chromatica but it feels more grown up than Katy’s previous cheesy cheap pop albums (which were great btw ‘no shade’)  get a blender throw in her previous work and turn it on, add whiteness at the last second, pour into a plastic cup and take a sip = smile :oops:

BrandonL

A R T P O P

Cry About it Later is one of her best songs. I hope it's a single. 

Resilient sounds like she sampled music from Crash Bandicoot. 

Not the End of the World is solid. 

I think Smile does a better job of "Purposeful Pop"  than Witness did. 

Damon
2 minutes ago, A R T P O P said:

. Resilient sounds like she sampled music from Crash Bandicoot. 

:billie: nnnn i kinda hear it now i hate you

... and now i just sit in silence.

MadreMonster

You can tell it’s a random collection of songs. Idk, it’s all so forgettable to me but NRO and Cry About it Later are THOSE songs.

Spock

I don’t like it as much on a first listen compared to the other albums, but it’s still cute 

Teary Eyed and Tucked are my favorites off of the album tracks 

who will love me when the night is over

Spock

It’s also really sad to see critics and publications that praised Rare rip her to shreds.. most of the reviews are so unnecessary. 

I kind of agree with the Clash Magazine review in general but it could have been worded so differently 

who will love me when the night is over

CantGetEnough

The album is solid enough until you get to the title track, then it feels muddled. A weak second half seems sorta typical for Katy. I'd specifically say the stretch from Smile to Harley's in Hawaii doesn't really mesh and is just an odd grouping. Both Smile and Harley's feel like a different album, but of the two HIH is more fitting. Really a swing and miss to have your title track be the weakest and least representative of the feel and sound of the album (plenty of other songs here are about happiness and resilience). It's a shame cause some better single choices and more cohesive, fitting aesthetics may have saved this era (at least critically). 

Never Really Over > Daisies > Tucked > Only Love as the singles. Who cares if they chart well, give them good visuals and they're kinda the perfect songs to represent the reach of the album. Geometric and pastels (Daisies live performances) as the theme and aesthetic. 

Luke78619

Listened to a little bit of each song and the only one I remember really digging was Tucked, I can’t really remember the other tracks. They all sound quite similar in a way, But it’s weird hearing Daisies and smile on the same album, they’re so different 

NRO > HIH > Tucked > Daisies > Smile

insta: good_lukeing | I have nothing else to promote

FentyGa

does anyone have a good picture of this cover? I wanna change the cover on Apple Music but I can't find it without the side bar thing
katy-perry-smile-alternate-4-tgj.png

Harry Kat

For me NRO and HIH are still the best songs of the album! I found the rest of the album a little bit boring

Infinity Wave

I just listened to the first half of the album and it's GREAT!

Now, Katy (may) have lost her spark when it comes to GP success and recognition... but with Witness and Smile (for what I've heard) she found a new self that imho is more real, and more relatable, with a new music direction which is not for everyone but is great.

You can feel her evolution from the bubblegum pop of OOTB  andTeenage Dream... with The Complete Confection she bridged her way to Prism and then with Witness she bridged her way to Smile.

There are not "bops" ala Roar, Hot and Cold, LFN(TGIF), but for now I must say Cry About It Later and Not The End Of The World are really great, not to mention NRO which imo is amazing.

I love the new katy since Witness and this album is making me love her even more. I admire her strenght and tenacity (she's so resilient.mp3) and I love her willingness to continue being true to herself and making what she loves and wants most.

Can't wait to listen to the second half of the album!

Colourful

The BPD Monster
1 hour ago, 777777777777777777 said:

some poeple say it is Katy B — Lights On

yeah it kinda sounds the same. but the way she sings after the chorus could be another sample. i think i've heard it before. it makes me so angry when i a melody is familiar to me or a melody comes to my mind but i can't remember the song 🗿 is it obsession?

Archived