Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Plastic Doll Bridge is about Joanne Era

outtahere12428

Featured Posts

outtahere12428

Every time I listen to the song I’m more sure that the bridge is about the Joanne era. The song itself is probably about what people, media and even fans put her trough during her career, but some things make me think that the bridge in special is about the Joanne era.

Who dressed you = her looks changed completely during Joanne and people were asking themselves where the crazy outfits had gone. 

The hat reference = pretty self explanatory but may also be a country music reference (like why is she singing country music?)

Sad, crying references = People and also us little monsters didn’t understand why she was so sad about her aunt’s death because she didn’t even meet her, also most of us didn’t like the amount of ballads on the album and why she was always crying during performances etc 

Malibu Gaga = I believe that Gaga moved to Malibu after ARTPOP (may be wrong) but I remember VERY vividly people in here saying they hated the “Malibu Gaga” and how they attributed her changing there to the changes in her style and personality, and that they missed NYC Gaga

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HoneyB

I had the same thoughts when I heard the song for the first time, especially the Malibu Gaga part that was my favorite part of the song. It seems like she knows about the comments made about how she’s “changed”

💋 𝕊𝕥𝕖𝕡 𝕐𝕒 ℂ𝕠𝕠𝕜𝕚𝕖𝕤 𝕌𝕡💋🍪

Primetime

i absolutely agree! great analysis.

she did indeed move to Malibu during the recording of Joanne. during the fires she had to evacuate her horses to the beach. 

dit

yeah the minute I heard the bridge I had a "ah ha moment" as Oprah calls it. I FELT every lyric in that bridge because I witnessed the lashings she got from fans about that album and era almost DAILY. I get being pissed at the way her team may have handled some elements of the era (lack of playlisting, not so great mvs etc...) but overall the era was great. Good album, amazing performances, 4 videos (no matter what you think of the quality of some of them), a great tour etc...I think fans will appreciate Joanne for what it was many years from now and regret the way they lashed Gaga for so long all throughout it.

Hybrid AT

Interesting analysis. :)

She likes to weave multiple narratives to her lyrics and then let the listeners decide which one interpretation they like the most. That's the best part about her music.

I also see the lyric "Who's that girl? Malibu Gaga" as her addressing the people who have questioned her changing appearance over the years since shifting to Hollywood, especially with all the alleged cosmetic surgeries and face fillers.

"I was protected by the monks of Azarath, I was raised by my friends. They are my family, this is my home and you are not welcome here."

BlingNotTheMusic

So this definitely referencing Carino / music industry

I thought of the same thing when I heard it too! The hat reference is what made it click for me 

LibraLove
8 minutes ago, Delaytica said:

So this definitely referencing Carino / music industry

This was definitely my initial thought. Or Hollywood in general. That’s why I say I always get Britney Spears Lucky vibes from the song. 

derpmonster
20 minutes ago, HybridAT said:

She likes to weave multiple narratives to her lyrics and then let the listeners decide which one interpretation they like the most. That's the best part about her music.

I fully agree! Her songs tend to be about multiple different things and she sometimes uses music videos to add yet another story on to it that's not even necessarily in the lyrics. :) Sometimes fans fight over which meaning is the "correct" one but the truth is there can be multiple.

OT: I agree with the analysis of the bridge. It's my favorite part of the song.

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

BlingNotTheMusic
1 minute ago, LibraLove said:

This was definitely my initial thought. Or Hollywood in general. That’s why I say I always get Britney Spears Lucky vibes from the song. 

This is my main criticism of the song actually. I'm a huge Britney fan but that is one of the songs I never listen to. It's the tone of her voice, it's so elementary. 

I definitely would enjoy Plastic Doll more if she didn't do the whole Barbie voice. I know it's satire, but her dominatrix voice in SC could've been used for Plastic Doll too :vegas:

LibraLove
5 minutes ago, Delaytica said:

This is my main criticism of the song actually. I'm a huge Britney fan but that is one of the songs I never listen to. It's the tone of her voice, it's so elementary. 

I definitely would enjoy Plastic Doll more if she didn't do the whole Barbie voice. I know it's satire, but her dominatrix voice in SC could've been used for Plastic Doll too :vegas:

Omg. Lucky is one of her best. I used to marvel at my sister’s Lucky Barbie that came with the pink sheer robe, mirror and Oscar and sang the song. 😭

steven

Is it only me who feels nostalgic thinking about her past eras? Like life going way too fast? We should cherish every album that she gives us and appreciate it for what it is. Great analysis btw :heart:

Archived