⚔️ CHROMATICA OUT NOW ⚔️

Follow us on TikTok
Sign in to follow this  
science

Newly created map reveals the wildest places on Earth

FfFfFfFF

ghi-og.jpg

“If you want to know where in the world you can find a place that has not yet been transformed by agriculture, infrastructure, or settlements, [this map] is where to find it,” says Erle Ellis, a global ecologist at the University of Maryland Baltimore County who contributed to the analysis. “There is a very strong consensus on where these places are.”

All of the maps agreed that about half of Earth shows “low” human impact, and about half of that—a quarter of the ice-free surface of the planet—could be described as “very low” human impact. Most of the areas that fit this category are either very cold, such as the tundra and boreal forest that stretches across the far north of the Americas and Eurasia, or very hot, such as the world’s deserts.

The researchers say that because 50 percent of Earth has only low levels of human impacts, bold calls to preserve half of the planet for nature are achievable. 

The new map also shows that low-impact areas aren’t evenly distributed across ecosystem types. Less than one percent of temperate grasslands, tropical coniferous forests, and tropical dry forests have very low human influence.

“Ultimately, this is a map of human societies, not a map of nature,” Ellis says. “How you interpret this map in relation to nature depends on what your values are.”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/06/where-people-arent/

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1

KORG

Invalid, my bedroom isn't on there.

• YAAAS 2
  • Shook 1

Adarsh

Almost half of my state is in it :party:

That boy is a monster
  • LMAO 1

Amir
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

Almost half of my state is in it :party:

Canada or Egypt? (Always amazed me gow 99% of Egypt's population settele in 1% - along the Nile river, and the rest is a big desert)

EDIT: YOU'RE FROM INDIA I LOVE YOU! (Covid-19 snatched me back home from visiting the seven sisters after spending 3m in the south)

Edited by Amir
I stocked his profile
  • Love 1

Adarsh
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Amir said:

Canada or Egypt? (Always amazed me gow 99% of Egypt's population settele in 1% - along the Nile river, and the rest is a big desert)

EDIT: YOU'RE FROM INDIA I LOVE YOU! (Covid-19 snatched me back home from visiting the seven sisters after spending 3m in the south)

Yes I’m from India. My hometown is near the Himalayan mountains so that’s the greenest part of India :heart:

oh wow where else did you go? 

Edited by Adarsh
That boy is a monster
  • Love 1

Amir
1 minute ago, Adarsh said:

Yes I’m from India. My hometown is near the Himalayan mountains so that’s the greenest part of India :heart:

oh wow where else did you go? 

Started at Arambol Goa for Infected Mushroom concert (Which is funny cause I can catch them back home)

Walked Goa by foot, (north to south, took about a week of walking) through every village at the shoreline (And big cats reserves), rested in Palolem, got to Hampi (Just before the destruction of the northern part), Bangalore, VattaKannal, Pudicheri, had some TEA track in Munar, visited Puna, and Mumbai, spent the Holy in Pushkar with tons of friends under covid restrictions, went to Delhi unfortunately to catch the last plane back home. 

I Sure forgot tons of different other places as I'm having an emotional rollercoaster just remembering how amazing it was in general. Imma be right back as soon as things gets better, India is priceless.

• Love 1

KORG
27 minutes ago, Amir said:

I think this is true of any country that's essentially desert. Australia has masses and masses of empty land due to no rivers, I think parts of America do, also, like when I went to Nevada there was vast areas of nothing due to no rivers

• Like 1

Amir
1 minute ago, KORG said:

I think this is true of any country that's essentially desert. Australia has masses and masses of empty land due to no rivers, I think parts of America do, also, like when I went to Nevada there was vast areas of nothing due to no rivers

We use the desert as an agrocolture income by growing some heat loving plants there, but irrigation systems used to be a bitch (They were actually invented by Netafim company for this specific matter) Also even with our tiny country it is an ongoing effort pumping the water to every part of the country, but these days 90% of our drinking water is desalinated, so we have to keep go this way anyways. (Not that we feel that, we just drink like it's nature way to provide us drinking water off taps 😂)

• Like 1

Modern Ecstacy
44 minutes ago, Adarsh said:

oh wow. I'M from the Himalayas, originally my family is from Uttarakhand.

Where are you from?

• Love 1

Economy
3 hours ago, Amir said:

Canada is only 38 Million people in the 2nd largest Country on Earth :billie:

And our 38 Million are mostly all concentrated in a few metros (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, London, Hamilton, Calgary-Edmonton corridor). The metros I listed there are like 90% of Canada's population

The most populated Province (Ontario where I'm from) with 1/3 of Canada's Population is still mostly empty. Just an hour away from Toronto u enter areas where the roads don't continue and it's just nothingness :air:

canada-population1.jpg

From that long green Highway u got a long thin strip where u can basically access roads to all the relevant cities :enigma:

• Love 1

PartySick
12 minutes ago, Economy said:

canada-population1.jpg

I want to live on one of those islands up north :enigma:

I just have to learn how to fight a moose :enigma:

🖤 Just sending your love has the power to heal 🖤 So let's all give 🖤

Economy
1 minute ago, PartySick said:

I want to live on one of those islands up north :enigma:

I just have to learn how to fight a moose :enigma:

Lmao I don't think there's any moose in those islands. That's where u start to see polar bears :selena:

What pisses me off is Canada has some of the most beautiful nature ever but the most beautiful parts of the Country are completely unaccessible. U can only see it on tv, Google images or very rare adventures people somehow manage to do but for the most part normal people can't access most of my Country

But I'd love to go up there too right about now cuz the heat has been killing me at work :neyde:

PartySick
1 minute ago, Economy said:

Lmao I don't think there's any moose in those islands. That's where u start to see polar bears :selena:

Awwwwww :enigma: I'm going to feed them :enigma:

2 minutes ago, Economy said:

But I'd love to go up there too right about now cuz the heat has been killing me at work :neyde:

Let's all colonize the artic circle and steal Alaska to give to Canada :gayhat:

🖤 Just sending your love has the power to heal 🖤 So let's all give 🖤

Dulo Peep

My city is super green :enigma: