💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Chromatica, Carino, What's It All Mean?

BlingNotTheMusic

Featured Posts

BlingNotTheMusic

I started thinking about why I felt like Stupid Love didn't really sound/feel like it fit within the album, especially because it's talking about wanting a relationship and then 2 songs later she's talking about being a Free Woman without a man. 

We now know that Stupid Love was one of the first songs created for the album via the recent interview with Bloodpop (he said SL along with a few other songs were created during ASIB, when Gaga was still with Carino) so it can be inferred that Gaga wrote that song about Carino. 

Here's a (very) brief summary of my interpretation of the album/songs:

Alice: Lyrics include "set me free" "I'll keep looking for wonderland" "take me home" etc. Throughout the song she's talking about feeling trapped but also longing for something else. I get this is mainly about the sh*tty music industry and the struggles she's gone through over the last few years. 

Stupid Love: "I want your stupid love" "you're the one I've been waiting for" "no one's gonna heal me if I don't open the door" "free me from the shame" etc. Again she's talking about being free. I think this is about her letting go of the shame, possibly from the sexual assault, and really letting herself love someone (Carino). Things take a turn quickly with the next song. 

Rain On Me: "I only asked you to show me a real good time" "At least I showed up, you showed me nothing at all" (looks like things didn't work out) "water like misery" "teardrops on my face" We know Gaga mentioned this could be about her relationship with alcohol (I'd rather be dry) but it also looks like whatever relationship she was alluding to in SL didn't work out. This song is actually very complex as far as how it can be interpreted but for the purpose of this thread let's say it's a relationship. 

Free Woman: At first I always thought this song was just about after a breakup and going out, feeling good by yourself. If you listen and look at the lyrics, it's as if she is talking to herself about IF she starts a relationship, she needs to keep in mind she's still a whole person without a man especially the following:

I say that I want it, want it (Be free)
Don't fight it, fight it
But if I'm gonna go for it
I'll remember that, that
I say that I want it, want it (Be free)
Don't fight it, fight it
But if I'm gonna go for it
I'll remember that, that I

[Chorus]
I'm not nothing without a steady hand
I'm not nothing unless I know I can
I'm still something if I don't got a man
I'm a free woman, oh-oh (Be free)

*The bolded text is the other part of her reminding her of her independence, even if she's in a relationship. It reminds me of the dual singing in Sexxx Dreams*

Fun Tonight - Babylon I'm pretty certain are not about the relationship in question. It's already been discussed that Fun Tonight is about Gaga talking to Stefani. The only other song that could be about a relationship, imo, is 1000 Doves where she says "If you love me, then just set me free
And if you don't, then baby, leave" (set me freeeeee) so maybe she gave Carino an ultimatum?

So what do you think? Is Chromatica I primarily about the Carino relationship and the rest of the album about her struggles with fame, mental health, sexual assault, etc? What are your thoughts? Please use your words and don't just say "I agree" or "I disagree" :trollga: let's have a conversation.

HausOfAntonio

I see Alice as being more about her mental illness, never really thought about it as alluding to a relationship. Especially because she said in her Zane Lowe interview that the song is inspired by her concept of "radical acceptance" (accepting your mental illnesses in order to keep pursuing Wonderland).

BlingNotTheMusic
3 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

I see Alice as being more about her mental illness, never really thought about it as alluding to a relationship. Especially because she said in her Zane Lowe interview that the song is inspired by her concept of "radical acceptance" (accepting your mental illnesses in order to keep pursuing Wonderland).

Thanks for that. I agree. But what about the Carino relationship? That's more what I'm trying to uncover to see if others agree. 

HausOfAntonio
Just now, Delaytica said:

Thanks for that. I agree. But what about the Carino relationship? That's more what I'm trying to uncover to see if others agree. 

It literally seems like he dropped from the face of the earth lol. Maybe look at Fun Tonight? Seems like her previous partner was oblivious to the hurt that being in the public eye caused her.

BlingNotTheMusic
Just now, HausOfAntonio said:

It literally seems like he dropped from the face of the earth lol. Maybe look at Fun Tonight? Seems like her previous partner was oblivious to the hurt that being in the public eye caused her.

But that song is about Stefani talking to herself  regarding whether to continue performing anymore because it causes so much pain. 

HausOfAntonio
7 minutes ago, Delaytica said:

But that song is about Stefani talking to herself  regarding whether to continue performing anymore because it causes so much pain. 

IDK there could always be both meanings. I always consider the fact that, while Gaga may address her relationships in songs, she has very rarely made public statements that any song that puts her exes in a negative light are actually about them (ie., Perfect Illusion quite clearly alluding to a breakup vs. her stating that its about modern disconnect with reality).

BlingNotTheMusic
27 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

Perfect Illusion quite clearly alluding to a breakup vs. her stating that its about modern disconnect with reality

We know this is her being polite :vegas:

BlingNotTheMusic
7 minutes ago, daisy said:

Her relationship with carino was really strange... 

I don't want to be unkind, but

I've always had this weird theory that Carino was not necessarily a real thing :huntyga:

Juniper

I think this album is more personal, and dealing with her inner demons and her trying to find ways to love herself and people around her, than it being about a specific partner.

I think Fun Tonight does address her breakup and not only that but her chronic pain as well. This is my interpretation of the lyrics:

“I’d do anything to numb the flame. I guess I’m just on fire these days...”

She is referring to the burning sensation she feels from her fibromyalgia pain (apparently this is one of the symptoms patients feel). She wishes she could just numb the pain but she’s overworking herself with all the shows she’s doing. 

“I can’t see straight, I can’t see me. There’s too much hurt caught in between.”

Possibly referring to her previous relationship so in between of all these shows she was dealing with personal issues as well. So all this pain & stress was causing her to lose focus & be unable to think straight which is another symptom of fibromyalgia, apparently, called fibro fog or mental fog. 

“Wish I could be what I know I am. This moment’s hijacked my plans.”

This is probably around the time when she cancelled the rest of Joanne World tour dates. She wishes she could perform at her very best but she’s unable to because of all this which has ruined her future plans. 

“What happens now? I’m not okay. And if I scream, you walk away...”

Clearly she’s not doing well and this relationship isn’t working out. Seems like she isn’t being heard and she’s “had enough” of this. She is asking herself “why do I stay?” Why is she putting up with all this? So that’s when she finally decided to end the relationship once & for all putting her wellbeing first. She’s finally “free”...

Idk I may have read too much into this but that’s what I got from this song. 

Still waiting for ARTPOP Act II, Original LG5, Babylon Haus Labs version, etc.

SpadesToStart

Fun Tonight probably has several different meaning and layers, but I think a very prevalent inspiration for the song was her relationship with Carino turning toxic and coming apart.

Creyk

Her relationship with Carino is the most mysterious one, and it's so interesting. He seems like a unique guy. I do hope that the Fun Tonight lyrics are not about him, as that would mean they had some very heated arguments.

• 4 weeks later...
LilyLark
On 6/4/2020 at 11:01 PM, Delaytica said:

I don't want to be unkind, but

I've always had this weird theory that Carino was not necessarily a real thing :huntyga:

The long time rumor/blind item was that he was fake because Taylor Kinney had a new gf that he brought to the Superbowl....but I always thought he was real. I do wonder if they broke up, but stayed together for a while because breaking up during awards season is almost never done (he works for CAA, and might have agreed to fake it for a while if it was the "professional" thing to do). Then again, they announced their break up right before the Oscars and he certainly acted petty enough to make it seem like it was real the entire time.

TLDR: I agree some of the songs could be about Carino.

Archived