Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

Metacritic: average scores (female singers)

Yxilon

Featured Posts

Yxilon

Average scores of some female singers with at least TWO albums processed by metacritic:

(reissues, live albums, remix albums, games, documentaries etc are not included)

Fiona Apple 87,5

FKA twigs 87,0

Kacey Musgraves 85,3

Lorde 85,0

Bjork 82,8

Grimes 82,3

Charli XCX 78,2

Beyonce 77,9

Ariana Grande 77,6

Shakira 76,5

Lana Del Rey 75,6

Taylor Swift 75,5

Camila Cabello 74,9

Tove Lo 74,1

Tinashe 73,7

Adele 73,0

Lady Gaga 71,2

Alicia Keys 71,1

Sia 70,8

Dev 70,4

P!nk 70,3

Alessia Cara 70,2

Madonna 69,6

Kesha 69,4

Ellie Goulding 68,0

Carrie Underwood 67,8

Nicki Minaj 67,0

Demi Lovato 66,8

Selena Gomez 66,7

Celine Dion 66,5

Kelly Clarkson 66,4

Rihanna 66,3

Kelly Rowland 66,3

Mariah Carey 66,2

Kylie Minogue 65,4

Avril Lavigne 62,8

Cher Lloyd 62,5

Britney Spears 62,4

Cheryl Cole 60,9

Miley Cyrus 58,6

Meghan Trainor 56,7

Jess Glynne 56,5

Jessie J 54,7

Katy Perry 53,0

Jennifer Lopez 49,1

Iggy Azalea 47,5

Discuss :firega:

Spoiler

If I forgot someone tell me so I'll edit the post adding her.

Everything could be everything (it could mean anything)

doppelganger

Fiona Apple deserves it though. Every album is a masterpiece. 

Pennywise

Critics LOVE alternative music and the rest is probably according to how much they pay them to write? Also, someone who only has two albums compared to someone like Madonna with a billion out there shouldn't even be compared at all. 

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

Pennywise

Kacey Musgraves is overrated as hell though 

Pennywise

Lorde deserves at least a 95. Both of her albums are masterpieces. 

NNES
15 minutes ago, Yxilon said:

Jessie J 54,7

wtf? why so low? Who You Are was such a nice album...

Yxilon
Just now, NNES said:

Jessie J is an amazing singer and arguably one of the best vocalists of our generation.

But her albums sound cheap af, both in production and... let's say cheesy lyrics.

Yxilon
12 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

13 minutes ago, Pennywise said:

Critics LOVE alternative music and the rest is probably according to how much they pay them to write? Also, someone who only has two albums compared to someone like Madonna with a billion out there shouldn't even be compared at all. 

I kinda disagree. Kacey is anything but alternative, but her music gets so much praise because of beautiful lyrics and crystalline production. If you do alternative music (and are an independent producer as Grimes or Fiona) you partly deserve recognition for your boldness and your commitment, BUT alternative music can turn out in masterpieces as well as in catastrophies. That's why some alternative albums have been massacred by the critics (see Enya, Miley's dead petz...)

Whtvrman
2 hours ago, NNES said:

cause she makes absolute garbage music perhaps

freebit

Gaga is in a decent place between Adele and Alicia. Though she deserves to be higher, lbr. Some big critics are still so weird about her - the 2020 ARTPOP revisionist praise to drag Chromatica is yet another example of their hypocrisy and general bias.

:heart: @ Fiona tho. She deserves every bit of praise IMO.

3 hours ago, Pennywise said:

Yeah, I don't get her acclaim either, not saying she should be dragged, but her being so high up on the list is baffling to me...but not more baffling than Camilla. For Kacey I think her whole stoner country barbie thing is a thing critics love about her, and reading these reviews, these critics are, at the very least, half influenced by image. 

No idea why Camilla is so acclaimed though. Even Selena has more interesting music. 

I'm surprised to see Rihanna so far down the list. I consider her pretty well recieved? But then again, I just learned recently that NYT gave Anti a 50, so surprises all around. 

swakby

Madonna's score could be close to 80 if they include her 80s and 90s discography. 

alsemanche

Björk should be higher :trollga:

Soft, soothing, and succulent

Franz Ferdinand

It's mad funny how critics tend to give great reviews to albums that end up having... no impact. I'm not arguing that some of these (take for instance Fiona Apple or even Lorde) aren't excellent at their craft, but the albums from artists that actually end up changing the musicscape are not usually the most well-received. Obviously, you can't predict how impactful an album is going to be when it's just released, though, but we should keep in mind albums like Nevermind and The Dark Side of the Moon, nowadays hailed as some of the greatest of all time, opened to rather lukewarm reviews when they first came out. 

Archived