💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP, bad or misunderstood?

Roronoa

Featured Posts

Frankenztein

A lot of the responses on this thread prove that ARTPOP is still deeply misunderstood. The fact that the debates around this albums are still thriving in 2020 demonstrates that the album had real substance to it all along. It was a beautifully flawed and ambitious album that showcased all of Gaga's greatest strengths and weaknesses as a songwriter. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Benji

It’s a bad album.  Fans go to extraordinary lengths to defend how bad it is but it’s just simply bad.

It was scraped together from uninspired sessions because Gaga was in no place to make an album.  With no realised concept and a jumble of songs that were just reused instrumentals sang over, they tried getting away with giving it a massive concept that ultimately means nothing.

It’s about time fans accept it’s a bad album and move on like Gaga has.

President Biden

ARTPOP is her best album ever. Unintentionally. But still her best. 

:heart: a misunderstood masterpiece for certain

I got drunk

Cameltoe Chariot
5 minutes ago, Benji said:

It’s a bad album.  Fans go to extraordinary lengths to defend how bad it is but it’s just simply bad.

It was scraped together from uninspired sessions because Gaga was in no place to make an album.  With no realised concept and a jumble of songs that were just reused instrumentals sang over, they tried getting away with giving it a massive concept that ultimately means nothing.

It’s about time fans accept it’s a bad album and move on like Gaga has.

OR... it's about time you accept that people can have opinions that don't line up with your own :oops:

It's pretty clear all these years later that this album affected us all in some way - even in the mainstream ARTPOP is brought up frequently, and despite it being called a "flop" by some, it remains in the cultural zeitgeist in a way that most good and bad albums never achieve.

Also your assessment of it being scrapped together is... not true. There was a lot of work put into this album, and it was unfortunately passed over one too many times by a label that was micromanaging an artist who was quickly outgrowing her management.

Oh well. ARTPOP remains unbothered and Gaga has scored her 5th number 1 so :fthis: 

Genuine Guy 09

It was bad - whatever she was going for didn't come through and the album wasn't cohesive or strong enough

The lack of commercial success was down to their being no real hit on there - the songs that were singles were just top 20 material, she needed to come stronger 

But yes the aesthetic and promo was good, it still didn't really sell the music tbh 

Stare at the Chartster in the mirror they talk to me too. #StreamFunTonight

President Biden

2 hours ago, HeavyPunkLover said:

Chromatica / BTW / ARTPOP are her best albums but for three different reason. 

:triggered: this is factual. They all have the common theme of best representing her deep beliefs about her identity and role in society imo.

I got drunk

PlasticDollGirl

It all was going very until after iTunes festival then the era was a mess

The queen of Gagadaily. Keepin it real

Benji
7 minutes ago, CameltoeKween said:

OR... it's about time you accept that people can have opinions that don't line up with your own :oops:

It's pretty clear all these years later that this album affected us all in some way - even in the mainstream ARTPOP is brought up frequently, and despite it being called a "flop" by some, it remains in the cultural zeitgeist in a way that most good and bad albums never achieve.

Also your assessment of it being scrapped together is... not true. There was a lot of work put into this album, and it was unfortunately passed over one too many times by a label that was micromanaging an artist who was quickly outgrowing her management.

Oh well. ARTPOP remains unbothered and Gaga has scored her 5th number 1 so :fthis: 

It does get brought up a lot... in examples of what not to release and a misstep in a superstar’s career :billie:

Candy Gaga
49 minutes ago, ARTGOD said:

I agree that JnD has nonsense lyrics, but Donatella and Fashion!? They seem so straightforward to me.

I disagree with ARTPOP’s production having aged. I feel like the production is weird and unique enough to still be worth listening even though the genre it belongs to is no longer popular.

Generic and really mainstream EDM from that era has aged badly because it was done to death. Most of ARTPOP is EDM, but a type of EDM that is way more experimental and unique than what was popular at the time.

I still see people reacting to ARTPOP for the very first time and being blown away by some of the production choices. I don’t think that would be the case if the production had aged that badly.

I agree that Chromatica is more polished and cohesive as an album, but it lacks the flavor that ARTPOP has. I have heard a lot of dance records from other pop artists that are also really good and polished, but I haven’t heard something that resembles ARTPOP from any of her peers.

What I meant about the lyrics of these songs is that they seem shallow. They're not fun or ambitious like The Fame or dark and bold like TFM or unique and inspiring like Born This Way. Even the lyrics of Joanne followed the theme of depression and pain much better through most of the songs. When it comes to ARTPOP a lot of people dismiss it cause the lyrics were clueless and non inspired and you can have the best production ever but if lyrics are unrelatble the album won't connect to people. ARTPOP main focus lyrics wise was a collection of songs about catwalks , fashion , strange expressions about sex like someone here said earlier felt like a try hard.

Production problem is it's majorly a DJWS style of production which is a loud noisy rave sound that doesn't fit mainstream music. It's like even the songs that have something to offer were ruined by a sudden out of place beat drop or heavy out of place production element.

Also you can't tell me songs like MANiCURE or Jewels and Drugs haven't aged . Those aged 2 months after release.

Also I don't agree with that Chromatica lacks flavor that ARTPOP had. In fact it added much flavour and substance that ARTPOP needed to smash and connect to people. On  Chromatica there's something for everybody. Like the EuroDance (Eurovision sound) that appeals to millions of people ( on Sine From Above , 1000 Doves or Enigma ) Pop sound that appeals to old school fans and General Puplic ( Replay , 911 and Plastic Doll ) she even attracted new fans and demographics with songs like ( Rain On Me and Sour Candy )

I hope you just don't get upset by this debate. You know at the end of the day my opinion is just an opinion that changes nothing. If you love ARTPOP then keep listening to it and consider it the best in her discography just like everyone do with their favourite album :hug:

BloodyM

After a few day listening to Chromatica(which I Love btw) I feel like when comparing it ARTPOP, musically and artistically, Chromatica lacks what ARTPOP had. Passion.  IMO Chromatica is an effort for Gaga to be liked by the mass again, especially the younger generation. The lyrics she used to write, the metaphors and poet like story lines, tongue twisting mind bending  quotes, its all gone now. Same as with the music. The instrumentals used to be more interesting, original and complex. ARTPOP is truly a masterpiece ahead of its time, and whilst Chromatica will have her glory days, ARTPOP will be the one album we will all be taking about in 20 years times. Bookmark me girls. 

ImTired

The bass at the end of Aura feels like repeated punches to the face.

I love this album so much. :bradley:

Archived