💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

ARTPOP, bad or misunderstood?

Roronoa

Featured Posts

2School4Cool

I adore this album and era and it will always be special to me because it’s the first time I saw her in concert. This album was very misunderstood. As Gaga described it, sonically it was “too soon” and thematically she refused to conform to the pop star molds that made people comfortable and as a result it just made people uncomfortable. I for one have always admired this album for the vision and passion behind it, as well as the fact that for me it felt like a breath of fresh air. When you’re tired of cookie cutter pop you can turn on ARTPOP and hear something different, something bold, something unique, and something irresistibly fun while still being full of heart. 

See The Best In Everyone

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AlexanderMagno

Almost nothing about ARTPOP is ARTPOP.

It was the beginning of the decline of Gaga as a pop concept master. It started out with a brilliant clean concept (before it was released), and eventually it was just... Whatever. The Troy mess can't be the only one responsible for a failed concept, because that would mean that it was all his idea.

As "artsy" and pretentious as it could have been, in fact it's not, at all. The only thing artsy about ARTPOP is Gaga's claim to be artsy.

The only good thing about this album is the DJWS production. Zedd was definitely a mistake that no one was expecting. But DJWS slayed. Best production Gaga has delivered so far. Do What U Want (feat. R. Kelly) and Applause are true production gems, so incredibly intelligent.

Oyster

i feel like the songs are generally good on their own but the whole album was really messy and felt like too much honestly. i do believe there is such a thing as overdoing something. listening to that album is really difficult when i’m just sitting down and wanting to chill

Candy Gaga

ARTPOP mistake was that she ignored the lyrics and focused on the production. Songs like Donatella , Jewels and Drugs or Fashion! might be bops but the lyrics don't make sense at parts , bad at parts and some of gaga's weakest through out all the album. And unfortunately the production she depended on aged like milk so the album ended as underwhelming.

Chromatica is like the updated greater pop follow up to ARTPOP. Both are EDM albums but she ditched the rave/heavy noisy at parts production of ARTPOP with a Euro-Dance / Electro-Pop / Dance-Pop sound that sounds fresh and accessible this time and in addition to great relatable lyrics this time she created a masterpiece

intotherosegarden

Half and Half. 

I feel it was misunderstood. Eventually even by Gaga herself and led to the convenient "could mean anything" when asked what she was actually trying to achieve. I do feel a bit unstable myself seven years on about what she was actually trying to put across. Her idea of the death of the blonde icon sorta ironically came true with this era as her mainstream success and buzz went down drastically and fans dropped like flies. Was it about channeling her pain in a creative way? I only really see that in a few of the tracks. One could argue the mishmash of styles and topics makes it artful, but imo it isnt. Anything out of convention isnt art. Art isnt anything out of convention. It was messy. It wasnt understood by the gp and fans alike as a result. 

Its not inherently bad. But it was also pretty poor; but I feel this builds on the misunderstoodness of it. I think she started with a solid idea for it, then her hip went, her label applied pressure to keep her up there and it led to a lot of compromising and overworking to get tracks out. I.e. buying the melody for MJH and building on that. The demos are v good. The finals not so much. But they both sound v good live. It isnt an ablum i can sit through front to back like I can will everything else she put out. This also counts for its visuals. Gaga had always been very visual and cohesive before. I.e. she kept the stripped back pale blonde look for a lot of TFM era and then kept the vivid yellow hair for the rest. BTW is cohesive through the graphic thick eyeliner looks. ARTPOP looses me save for the venus wig. Again she was doing a lot and trying to be artful but it lacked focus. It felt messy. We call anything different ART so much these days it lost meaning. The imagery she had out beforehand was so clean and professional and cohesive amd then it all just nosedived for me too quickly for comfort.

To close it I definitely feel as if it could have had a lot more focus and if she hadnt went through what she went through the final product would have been different. But I do feel Chromatica is both ARTPOP's OLDER sister as well as what ARTPOP failed to achieve overall. I also don't think ARTPOP was ahead of its time. I think lyrically it was but the vibe and sonics just dont have longevity.

BillieGOAT

I don’t think that the individual songs on ARTPOP were the problem, I think the general public was very confused by the album roll out.

The whole mess with Terry Richardson and R. Kelly, the last-minute single switch, and the overall feeling that gaga was trying to do the same kind of dance pop songs/performance but just “crazier” turned some people off. 

culturalbaptism

Yes, miss JK. ARTPOP was ahead of its time with miss Biconic.

JKRowling_Shot_D_029_V3_lower-768x435.th

Judas is coming. Let the cultural baptism begin.

SpanishScheisse

I feel Chromatica is messier than ARTPOP. For me ARTPOP is more solid as an album. Just my opinion:vegas: 

HausOfAntonio
12 minutes ago, AlexanderMagno said:

Almost nothing about ARTPOP is ARTPOP.

It was the beginning of the decline of Gaga as a pop concept master. It started out with a brilliant clean concept (before it was released), and eventually it was just... Whatever. The Troy mess can't be the only one responsible for a failed concept, because that would mean that it was all his idea.

As "artsy" and pretentious as it could have been, in fact it's not, at all. The only thing artsy about ARTPOP is Gaga's claim to be artsy.

The only good thing about this album is the DJWS production. Zedd was definitely a mistake that no one was expecting. But DJWS slayed. Best production Gaga has delivered so far. Do What U Want (feat. R. Kelly) and Applause are true production gems, so incredibly intelligent.

The whole point of ARTPOP was to challenge how we perceive things as “artsy”, to make us reassess our own intellectual and cultural biases towards art and how elitist it is. Its a CAMP parody first and foremost; there is nothing that dictates that we should attribute more “value”, whatever that means, to say, “artsy” musicians such as Bjork because they make something that sounds more out there. The whole reverse warholian experience is the idea that there is nothing inherent that divides what we consider serious enough to be art, and then what we consider banal enough to NOT be art. Sorry if I sound angry, I’m such a huge ARTPOP stan :selena:

Gagaono

For me personally she lost some of the mysterious flair that sorrounded her perosna during TF, TFM and Born This Way. Up until ARTPOP she always felt so magical, almost untouchable because you we’re never really able to predict what she would come up with next. ARTPOP changed that in some ways, because up to that point she always exceeded my expectations and with ARTPOP that wasn‘t the case anymore. (In Addition to that I want to point out that these were my personal expectations and that they because of that may differ from yours - I can‘t even explain what my specific expectations were so please don‘t take me to seriously :laughga: -) 
But don‘t get me wrong: I love and appreciate this album as much as every other project she has done and I know about the struggles she had prior to this era. The most important thing to me is that she is happy with what she is doing and I can‘t imagine stanning another artist as much as her. I grew up with her, Chromatica is a bop and I couldn‘t be happier with her unbelievable development over the years. 

Reginald

An excellent vision, a great era. Part of me will always dream about what could have been if that vision was totally fulfilled.

Sis really wanted to be the first popstar to perform in space :ladyhaha:

We stan an ambitious legend 

NewUsername

Can we just finally accept that it's a great album, jeez :sweat:
I'm all here for in depth analysis about the album itself and its reception, but the constant questioning of "is it good?" can go. OF COURSE it's good.

mybiggestenemyisme

I know some people will come for me :ally:

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler