• Hair (2011)
    • Venus (2013)
    • Dope (2013)
    • A-YO (2016)
    • Sour Candy (2020)

Featured Posts

Rifek

I’m torn between Hair and Sour Candy :bradley:

promo wise SC is better choice while Hair is better lyrically  and It’s one of my fav bops 

❗️ IG: thebumblebee__ ❗️

intotherosegarden

Sour Candy. I can see it doing so much for BLACKPINK and giving them a decent boost. 

CautiousLurker

I am surprised Venus is winning :wtfga:
ARTPOP really is making a comeback - took y'all long enough :triggered:

RobGaga

I was shook when I read that Hair was #11 on the Billboard 100 at one point. With that success they should have pushed it harder. 

JustJames

Are all of these "official" promo singles? How does Billboard define them (I believe 2/album are allowed for Charts)? I didn't think BDR or A-YO were considered promotional singles or are they? None of those listed succeeded at what a proper promo single should do, IMO, which is to provide an opportunity for the GP to hear an additional sound from the album without the costs of radio, etc., or to maintain/create hype between singles. Other than Sour Candy (which need(ed/s) a MV to smash 100%) and Hair (which was messed up by Judas and EOG), does anyone think these helped sell LG1 - 5?  

I lived through The Fame and I'm glad to have BDR's accidental visuals (2nd single originally) and wish all of her promo songs had similar. But, nobody knew this song beyond the album and I didn't even know a MV existed until 1-2 years ago. Venus could've helped ARTPOP with a stunning MV that brought the visuals and Aphrodite persona to life, but without, it only promoted Gaga as a gimmick further. Given Perfect Illusion's reception, A-YO was too risky + not risky enough to promote Joanne as a body-of-work. Its only purpose would've been to prime future singles for streaming success, but it failed at that.

Regardless, my rankings would be:

Sour Candy > Hair >> Dope >>> A-YO >> BDR >> Venus

BORN THIS WAY

Promo singles started getting messy with BTW; without MTN as lead, the promo singles should've been more indicative of the macro sounds/themes. 

Electric Chapel and Hair would've been better representations of the album pre-launch. EC would've been a less controversial intro to the religious lyrics and rock/instrumental vibes of Gvt. Hooker/HML, while Hair was a great vehicle for performances.

BTW (single) > Electric Chapel (promo) > Hair (promo) > EOG (single) > album

ARTPOP

I think Aura was a missed opportunity to translate the vision of the album that Gaga was never able to. ARTPOP needed promos with visuals to convey its concept, since the commercial songs on the album didn't tell a story on their own, and Aura's chorus would've helped that.

Dope or Venus as promos could've resuscitated the era post-DWUW

Applause (single) > Aura (promo) > DWUW (single) > album > Dope/Venus (promo) > Sexxx Dreams/MANiCURE (single) > Gypsy (single)

JOANNE

I stand by my belief that Joanne was never meant to be anything more than it ended up as in order to prime the GP for ASIB whilst not overshadowing it. If we assume PI is still the lead single, I think she needed to follow with a promo single that showed off her raw vocals and was more representative of the more extreme country/folk influences (Sinner's Prayer, Diamond Heart, or Hey Girl). Then, Dancin In Circles to keep her core fans interested in the album. DIC would've done great on streaming/downloads but never stood a shot at radio, and could've put the 2nd single in a better place to succeed. 

PI (single) > Hey Girl (promo) > DIC (promo) > album > MR (single) > A-YO (single)

Archived