💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Is Replay about us?

Paulchieffo

Featured Posts

Paulchieffo

I'm sure this has already been a thread but does anyone else feel like Replay has kind of a second meaning that's aimed at us. Your monsters torture me is the most obvious thing. I feel like she was kind of playing with words there. Also for some reason the line "you're the best thing and the worst thing that's happened to me" really kind of makes me think she's talking about us atleast as an underlying meaning. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George

I don’t think so honestly.. 

2School4Cool

It’s about her PTSD and her coping with the things that race through her mind on a daily basis. Gaga isn’t the kind of artist who would take a dig at her fans. Yes there are a small portion of rude fans who post rude things about her and her team, but she would never call her fans the worst thing that’s happened to her in her song, I can’t see it, especially in an album that’s meant to help heal people.

See The Best In Everyone

G U C C I

I think all of the lyrics on the album are written to include multiple interpretations that are personal to her. This song in particular could be referencing her and a lover, her and her fans, or her arguing with herself. 

This album deals a lot with trauma and her mental health. There are a few times I really feel like she is talking as Stefani to Lady Gaga and vice versa. 

Replay:
Am I still alive? Where am I? I cry
Who was it that pulled the trigger, was it you or I?
I'm completely numb, why you acting dumb?
I won't blame myself 'cause we both know you were the one

I don't know what to do, you don't know what to say
The scars on my mind are on replay, r-replay
The monster inside you is torturing me
The scars on my mind are on replay, r-replay, eh-eh

Psychologically, it's something that I can't explain
Scratch my nails into the dirt to pull me out okay
Does it matter, does it matter? Damage is done
Does it matter, does it matter? You had the gun

Fun Tonight:

Feelin' something that I can't explain (Oh)
Think it's a wound I still entertain (Oh)
I'd do anything to numb the flame (Oh)
I guess I'm just on fire these days (Oh)
I can't see straight, I can't see me
There's too much hurt caught in between
Wish I could be what I know I am
This moment's hijacked my plans

I'm feelin' the way that I'm feelin', I'm feelin' with you (Ooh, ooh)
I stare at the girl in the mirror, she talks to me too

Yeah, I can see it in your face
You don't think I've pulled my weight
Maybe it's time for us to say goodbye 'cause
I'm feelin' the way that I'm feelin', I'm feelin' with you
I'm not havin' fun tonight

Silver Keith

It’s about her re-living the sexual assaults/trauma. PTSD in song form.

’The scars on my mind are on replay’ as the song itself follows suit and doesn’t let go of the same beat throughout its entirety, stuck in a loop.

‘Who was it who pulled the trigger, was it you or I’ - sexual assault victims often start blaming themselves at first, thinking ‘they were asking for it’ or that they ‘deserved it’ (defense mechanism, denial).

During the bridge she finally accepts ‘You had the gun’ 4x

JillTyrell2004

“Your monsters torture maaaay”

Is it just me who gets Britney vibes from how she pronounces me? 

blankpaper
Just now, 2School4Cool said:

It’s about her PTSD and her coping with the things that race through her mind on a daily basis. Gaga isn’t the kind of artist who would take a dig at her fans. Yes there are a small portion of rude fans who post rude things about her and her team, but she would never call her fans the worst thing that’s happened to her in her song, I can’t see it, especially in an album that’s meant to help heal people.

I could totally see her saying it about fame in general without specifically targeting “the fans” though

it sounds like it could be about coping with ptsd being harder or more complicated due to being famous 

reality’s tight if the music is right

2School4Cool
Just now, blankpaper said:

I could totally see her saying it about fame in general without specifically targeting “the fans” though

it sounds like it could be about coping with ptsd being harder or more complicated due to being famous 

That’s true, like she’s said in the past, being famous and having people grabbing at her in public often triggers her PTSD. I feel like the “you love the paparazzi, love the fame” lyric in Fun Tonight is similar. I don’t think she’d make that comment about her fans, but about celebrity culture and fame in general.

See The Best In Everyone

Benji

Partly.  The song covers her PTSD and how her mind tortures her with her thoughts... we definitely have helped fuel that, which is why she chose to use “monsters.”  The end sounds so close to “you monsters torture me” that it’s not a coincidence, she’s calling those fans out.

Antoni

Pretty sure it's her creative, normal self talking about her famous persona. So in a way, yes, it's about us. LG needs her fanbase and fame. Stefani just wants to breathe and feel like a normal girl sometimes.

My name isn't Timmers

LilyLark

As others said, I think it has multiple levels (fame, PTSD, mental health troubles, etc.). But yeah, fans could definitely be considered part of the "fame" section.

blankpaper
Just now, 2School4Cool said:

That’s true, like she’s said in the past, being famous and having people grabbing at her in public often triggers her PTSD. I feel like the “you love the paparazzi, love the fame” lyric in Fun Tonight is similar. I don’t think she’d make that comment about her fans, but about celebrity culture and fame in general.

I think there’s multiple references to struggling with fame throughout the album. And I don’t care what anyone says, Fun Tonight is absolutely about fame haha. “I feel like I’m in a prison hell/stick my hands through the steel bars and yell” remember last year when she tweeted “fame is prison”

reality’s tight if the music is right

Archived