💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
achievement

COS awards Gaga an A- review (lifts up Metacritic score to 81)

nswain1110

Featured Posts

Ally Campana
45 minutes ago, HausOfAntonio said:

Everyone sis :messga:

edit: literally don’t get me wrong I still ADORE both of these tracks

Please @ the ‘everyone’ in question. Let me see who those tasteless f words are :excuseu:

Does it matter? Damage is done

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HausOfAntonio
10 minutes ago, Ally Campana said:

Please @ the ‘everyone’ in question. Let me see who those tasteless f words are :excuseu:

Me and the voices in my head? :cryga:

LilyLark
20 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

And lets not forget Gaga has to go through so many hurdles in every review. Reviewers say they want more craziness from her, some say they want less, some say she is too electronic and experimental while others say she isn't. Then there are the constant comparisons to Madonna. Critics also love to talk more about her public persona sometimes and that can be annoying. The critics are so much harder on Gaga then they are with other artists. Chromatica would be a 90  on Metacritic if Dua, Ariana, Charli xcx, or Billie Eilish made an album like this :toofunny:

Yeah, I kind of hate saying it because it comes across very "stan like" but...it's more or less what you said.

Gaga, Lana (still don't agree with her earlier comments), and Rihanna all have had to deal with reviewers who seem to hold them to particularly high standards and/or randomly drag in their personal lives. I'd even add Adele to the list, who has never broken an 80 on Metacritic, and Beyonce (excluding Lemonade). I don't mean it as shade towards Dua, whom I love, but it's insane FN has a higher score than Beyonce's self-titled.

LilyLark

Kind of wondering if it will stay in the 80s...Slant, Pitchfork, and the NYT tend to be the harshest on her and two out of three have already been added to metacritic. NYT will probably drop her score but other reviews might bump it back up.

Lucas

Deserved an A but let's not complain, the critics praise for Chromatica has been really good

ShtoopidLahv
35 minutes ago, Aga Gydal said:

I will defend Fun Tonight to exhaustion. It’s a standout. 

Okay but Fun tonight sounds like a song that plays at a very low volume on the speakers at the end of a concert after the lights have turned on and security is asking everyone to leave and they start sweeping up the confetti, etc. it gives me waiting to pick up my stuff at coatcheck and leave the concert vibes lol

Lord Temptation
40 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

And lets not forget Gaga has to go through so many hurdles in every review. Reviewers say they want more craziness from her, some say they want less, some say she is too electronic and experimental while others say she isn't. Then there are the constant comparisons to Madonna. Critics also love to talk more about her public persona sometimes and that can be annoying. The critics are so much harder on Gaga then they are with other artists. Chromatica would be a 90  on Metacritic if Dua, Ariana, Charli xcx, or Billie Eilish made an album like this :toofunny:

Or how they only stopped at a grand total of SEVEN reviews for ASIB, when that could and should have been her highest reviewed album. The media did Gaga dirty for years since ARTPOP.

Skabi
1 hour ago, nswain1110 said:

although it may be a tall ask for someone whose previous work has already established her so thoroughly and skillfully as a daring, outgoing, and, at times, even outrageous artist.

they put my feelings into actual words. gaga branded herself as such a bold and stepping out of the norm type of artist that everyone expects her to invent the wheel with every album she's dropping

nswain1110
2 hours ago, LGs LM said:

How does Metacritic work? Is there a deadline for reviews or do critics give out reviews anytime they want?

This is the closest I could find to an answer. 

"To put it simply, a METASCORE is a weighted average of reviews from top critics and publications for a given movie, TV show, video game, or album.

The basic concept is the same for each of the genres currently included in our site. Let's use a fictional movie--'Iron Chef vs. Godzilla'--as an example.

Our staffers will go through every publication on our Movies Publications list (see below) looking for reviews for Iron Chef vs. Godzilla. For each review found, we will take the score given by the critic and convert it to a 0-100 point scale. (For those critics who do not provide a score, we'll assign a score from 0-100 based on the general impression given by the review.). These individual critic scores are then averaged together to come up with an overall score.

This overall score, or METASCORE, is a weighted average of the individual critic scores. Why a weighted average? When selecting our source publications, we noticed that some critics consistently write better (more detailed, more insightful, more articulate) reviews than others. In addition, some critics and/or publications typically have more prestige and respect in their industry than others. To reflect these factors, we have assigned weights to each publication (and, in the case of movies and television, to individual critics as well), thus making some publications count more in the METASCORE calculations than others.

In addition, for our movie and music sections, all of the weighted averages are normalized before generating the METASCORE. To put it another way that should be familiar to anyone who has taken an exam in high school or college, all of our movies and albums are graded on a curve. Thus the METASCORE may be higher or lower than the true weighted average of the individual reviews, thanks to this normalization calculation. Normalization causes the scores to be spread out over a wider range, instead of being clumped together. Generally, higher scores are pushed higher, and lower scores are pushed lower. Unlike in high school, this is a good thing, since it provides more of a distinction between scores and allows you to better compare scores across movies (or albums).

The resulting METASCORE, then, is a good indication of how a particular movie/game/album/television show was reviewed. The better the reviews, the higher the score will be; the worse the reviews, the lower the score will be. Ideally, if reviews are completely divided between good and bad, the METASCORE should be close to 50."

https://www.metacritic.com/faq#item11

Follow me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/natethetrailhunter/

RepentingSinner
3 hours ago, HausOfAntonio said:

Not the essential tracks being SL and FT the literal unanimous bottom two of the album :toofunny:

Unanimous? Get out.

Mr S

Careful bragging about "Universal acclaim". Its just barely hanging on. 1-2 more reviews can easily drop it back down. Rolling Stone still hasn't reviewed it.

jacs vs looser
2 minutes ago, Mr S said:

Careful bragging about "Universal acclaim". Its just barely hanging on. 1-2 more reviews can easily drop it back down. Rolling Stone still hasn't reviewed it.

I thought they already reviewed it but Metacritic hasn't put it in their site yet? Not sure tho.

Anyhow, everyone please light your Alejandro candles so the score doesn't drop again :bradley:

nswain1110
7 minutes ago, Mr S said:

RS gave it an 80 and Metacritic counted it on Jun 1st :-)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/lady-gaga-chromatica-review-1008302/

Fifth one down on https://www.metacritic.com/music/chromatica/lady-gaga/critic-reviews

But agreed, It's hanging on by a thread and one mixed review or any review below 81 will bring it down again. 

Follow me on Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/natethetrailhunter/

Emigrante
9 minutes ago, nswain1110 said:

RS gave it an 80 and Metacritic counted it on Jun 1st :-)

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/lady-gaga-chromatica-review-1008302/

Fifth one down on https://www.metacritic.com/music/chromatica/lady-gaga/critic-reviews

But agreed, It's hanging on by a thread and one mixed review or any review below 81 will bring it down again. 

Actually it doesn't work that way. She can still earn few 80s reviews and gain in metacritic score, cause some magazines weight much more than the others and stuff. 

Sugar, spice, and everything nice.

RAYA.core

"that the album loses some opportunity it might have had for variation."

Face Palm GIF by Tinashe

variations, there are plenty opportunities she shows variations in apart from an album, movie soundtracks to very personal like joanne 

╰☆╮𝙸𝚐𝚗𝚘𝚛𝚎 𝚊𝚕𝚕 𝚑𝚊𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚛𝚒𝚝𝚒𝚌𝚒𝚜𝚖. 𝙻𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚏𝚘𝚛 𝚠𝚑𝚊𝚝 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚝𝚎... ☆╮JOINED November 25 2011

Archived