💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga Has Lost Her Lyrical Fire

jprince99x

Featured Posts

jprince99x

Before everyone starts dragging me, please hear me out.

The lyric that everyone touts on chromatica is this:

"This is my dancefloor I fought for"

If you keep reading,

This is my dancefloor I fought for
A heart, that's what I'm livin' for
So light up my body and kiss me too hardly
We own the downtown, hear our sound

I say that I want it, want it (Be free)
Don't fight it, fight it
But if I'm gonna go for it
I'll remember that, that
I say that I want it, want it (Be free)
Don't fight it, fight it
But if I'm gonna go for it
I'll remember that, that

These lyrics just don't flow whatsoever when you read them. Personally I want lyrics to read like a sentence. Here is an excerpt of one of my favourite songs:

"The bridle bends in idle hands
and slows our canter to a trot.
We mean to stop, in increments, but can’t commit. We post and sit, in impotence:
the harder you hit, the deeper the dent.
We seek our name.
We seek our fame, and our credentials
(paned in glass, trained to master incidentals). Bleach our collar, leach our dollar from our cents: the longer you live, the higher the rent."

I understand that this is completely not pop style, but Gaga's lyrics on this album don't have an ounce of that flow that I desire from lyrics. It just feels like she wrote the lyrics in 10 minutes then completely forgot about them (and that's what she's known for doing)

I guess I'm just burdened because I literally don't listen to any modern pop music except for gaga. I listen to folk, classical, and oldies 24/7. 

I was playing Chromatica for my brother. He pointed out to me that all he hears when he listens is just "I me love etc.", when I listen back to the album she emphasizes these words too much. Like on Fun Tonight, the only words that pop out on the prechorus are "I" and "You" :ally:. It just feels like some aspects of her songwriting are being reduced to fit the genre/style.

Just look at lyrics from one of the b sides on BTW, heavy metal lover:

Spoiler

I want your whiskey mouth all over my blonde south
Red wine, cheap perfume, and a filthy pout

Tonight bring all your friends, because a group does it better
Why river with a pair?
Let's have a full house of leather

Dirty pony, I can't wait to hose you down
You've got to earn your leather in this part of town

Dirty pearls and a patch for all the Rivington Rebels
Let's raise hell in the streets, drink beer and get into trouble

Whip me, slap me, punk funk
New York clubbers, bump drunk
Bud Lite, liquors, bar slam
Move it, this is your jam
Wash the night with St. Jame-son
Like a baptism, heavy metal lovers play
Baby, we were born this way

This has so much lyrical density, so much fire. And sadly I don't think that she wrote with that same fire on chromatica.

The only song that I feel that "fire" from is Babylon, and even that song is overtaken by lines that don't make sense to me

"Body's moving like a sculpture"

how does a body move like a sculpture? Sculptures are completely still, they don't move :air:

here are some lyrics that attack some of the same themes that gaga does in chromatica:

Spoiler

"In martial wind, and in clarion rain,
we minced into battle, wincing in pain;
not meant for walking, backs bound in twine: not angel or devil,
but level, in time.

And I rose, to take my shape at last,
from the dreams that had dogged me, through every past, when, to my soul, the body would say
You may do what you like,
as long as you stay.

Now the towns and forests, highways and plains, fall back in circles like an emptying drain.
And I won’t come round this way again,
where the lonely wind abides,

and you will not take my heart, alive. You will not take my heart."

I think that the lyrics on Chromatica are okay. There are some lines that I actually quite enjoy, replay is fantastic. Overall, when I listen to the songs all I hear is lyrical "spice". I actually quite like some of the narratives she attacks in the songs, but I feel as if the final product isn't as on point as her earlier work. I really don't think that this dance pop is the type of music that Gaga is inspired to make. Joanne has so much more of that "fire". 

Maybe part of the issue is the production. I listened to 1000 doves 10+ times and hated it. The lyrics didn't touch me at all. After hearing them in the demo, I literally cried. (and not because of the music, I think that the piano is very weak. There are no dynamics whatsoever! I could actually hear what she was saying in the lyrics.) I defended Stupid Love's lyrics when many of you here trashed them. For some reason I hear the lyrics on this album and they feel inauthentic. I love this album, I love it. I adore it and have been listening NONSTOP since it came out. I understand that there is no "perfect" song out there. These are just some of my thoughts after a few days of listening.

EDIT:

Gaga's strengths show when she is out to prove herself as an artist. In chromatica gaga is trying to achieve something different, the lyrics are coming from a different place that she's never fully explored before. She isn't trying to prove anything on this record, she is trying to make sense of her life, sobriety, and fame. When you listen to these songs in solitude, they don't seem impactful like songs from Born This Way do. After reading many replies in this thread I began to think of chromatica as a whole, and the album lyrically came to focus a bit for me. I still think there is room for improvement. The "fire" is still there lyrically - maybe not in the songs, but definitely in their intention.

FINAL EDIT:

My final opinion is this: songs on chromatica come from a different headspace that does not include the fiery passion from her previous work. However, when you look at chromatica as a whole, some of the fire is evident - not in the lyrics, but in the intentions of the songs. I define “fire” as being feisty/badass/gutsy/rebellious and inspired

Let’s have some fun this beat is Sapokanikan

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PlasticDollGirl

I actually find her lyrics more relatable now. What are you talking about? :neyde:

The queen of Gagadaily. Keepin it real

Candy Gaga

Wrong so wrong

The album lyrics are beautiful dark at times inspiring at others. Visit genius.com next time :ally:

Quartz

Yeah, no.

1000 Doves.

That's it, that's the post.

Inside, we are really made the same. 🕊

LadyGagasGodSon

THAT'S GOSSIP :excuseu:

You are small men. You are not worthy to rule the Dothraki.

jprince99x

For those of you who are saying you love these lyrics, please show me and tell me what you love about them! I really want to warm up to these lyrics but so far I just can't get into them.

Let’s have some fun this beat is Sapokanikan

imitalian

I think the line “Bodies moving like a sculpture” is a reference to vogue moves or model poses.

I get where you’re coming from tho overall

PlasticDollGirl

I don’t even get it. Plastic doll are the most forward straight lyrics ever? “Don’t play with me, it just hurts me, I’m bouncing off the walls, I’m not your plastic doll” you’ve just said the album has lyrics you can’t read in a sentence? 

The queen of Gagadaily. Keepin it real

LadyGagasGodSon

Also body's moving like sculpture is easily one of the more explicit references to house music and voguing as dance, that is, dancing by way of posing... Or at least that's how I saw it right away

You are small men. You are not worthy to rule the Dothraki.

• Admin locked this topic

Archived