💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga MUST go political

lucastecala

Featured Posts

lucastecala

So, Chromatica is out during the most difficult time in the world's and specifically the US recent history. It is okay. It is not Gaga's fault, obviously, and I don't think the situation would become any better if the album were delayed. Now that it is out, though, among the Coronavirus pandemic, the desastrous and authoritary Trump administration, and especially after the last few days, with the Black Lives Matter movement reaching a pivotal stage due to the appalling murder of George Floyd, suddenly it feels like there's little space for pop music to be self referential and an end in itself. Which is great because popular music, by its very definition must mirror the needs of the people and Gaga's music has always had many layers, it being no different for Chromatica. The core of the album is indeed the trojan horse of a dense message underlaying a fun and seductive surface. But Gaga has to ask herself what the society to which she made this record needs from her as a major artist and cultural force. Mere escapism as some of the reviews suggested doesn't seem to be an option.  

Gaga has always been more political than most of her counterparts in pop music, even partisan, which is great and something I always admired. But her politics, as the ones from most well-intended privileged white people, can be a little too mellow and now times call for Gaga to get specific and assertive about the politics in her art AND to climb down from the heights of the Democratic Party and Global Organizations and to get nearer popular struggles that are pressing. I think songs like "Alice" or "Replay", with the aid of their respective videos and the imagery constructed within it, could very well be resignified to address political struggles that could benefit of the cultural impact anything Gaga related has. She could directly tackle Trump adminstration, which is a safer political statement. But I could also see a remix that allows protagonism to a featuring black artist (Beyoncé, Megan Thee Stalion, Cardi B) to remake "Replay" into a song about police brutality for example (its amazing how the lyrics are fitting) and all of Gaga's proceeds for the track could be redirected to funds to combat police brutality, to political movements that agitate people into registering to vote, etc. There's space for that in Chromatica. Bloodpop himself in a recent post on his Instagram urged the audience to realize how much Chromatica in indebted to black culture, by pointing out that Jazz, Blues, Rock & Roll, Funk, Soul, R&B, Disco, House and Techno came from Black people. 

If we can let it rain on us while we're dancing we might as well be making a political revolution too while we're at it.   

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
GaGaAst

it will backfire and put water over her last 5 years effort. She should speak the way she did yesterday but going political way is a BIG NO NO 

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

VasilisVas

Gaga already posted her thoughts and feelings about racism and her post was absolutely beautiful. I think some of you are mistaking her to be a politician and not a singer/entertainer/artist etc. Gaga always raises awareness and doesn’t “have to go political” to do it. Gaga is a beautiful soul and she addressed her concerns. What more is she to do? Go to the White House and do what?

HiWayUniCorn

Gaga for president 2024! That's the first year she'll be eligible to run. EDIT; Mark my words she will hold political office maybe governor or senator first. If Sonny (of Sonny and Cher) and Arnold Schwarzenegger  did she can.

farting

I won’t be happy until she pees on kellyanne in the rose garden but that’s just me

DiskoBaby

Gaga is not a politician. It's not her job to inform the public on social and political issues. Especially issues that's outside her realm. She's a singer. Let her sing and entertain and send 'positive vibes.' 

I don't need to be lectured by a privileged white pop singer about racial issues. No thanks. Just send peace and love to everyone. 

lucastecala
6 minutes ago, VasilisVas said:

Gaga already posted her thoughts and feelings about racism and her post was absolutely beautiful. I think some of you are mistaking her to be a politician and not a singer/entertainer/artist etc. Gaga always raises awareness and doesn’t “have to go political” to do it. Gaga is a beautiful soul and she addressed her concerns. What more is she to do? Go to the White House and do what?

It was more okay than beautiful. That thing of stressing how non-violent would be her efforts to the cause, while protesters are being accused of being violent just because they were forced to respond energically given the amount of brutality from police agents, landed a little flat for me. It could be better. Since she was out and about with her boyfriend amidst the pandemic she might as well have gone to the protests. 

lucastecala
6 minutes ago, GaGaAst said:

it will backfire and put water over her last 5 years effort. She should speak the way she did yesterday but going political way is a BIG NO NO 

This might be hard for you to grasp but my main concern here is NOT Gaga's career, which is going very well. It's MUCH bigger than that. 

CELINE

Spreading awareness and informing the American people the importance of voting is the best course of action. She's philanthropic but that doesn't justify that she can be a true politician. 

gotharunway.com

Judas Society

If she were to go political with an album, I don't agree for her to do it on her own album. I'd rather it be a collab with a black artist like Kendrick, Beyonce, SZA etc. Or curate an album with all black artists if she will to show her support. She shouldn't be the front of the album.

If not album, maybe a song she can be a part of with a black artist.

But the best thing to do is to show solidarity by helping with the philanthropy that she is currently more into with the help of Michael who could point her to the right direction.

lucastecala
2 minutes ago, CELINE said:

Spreading awareness and informing the American people the importance of voting is the best course of action. She's philanthropic but that doesn't justify that she can be a true politician. 

I don't want her to be candidate, just for her to address directly political topics with her art in a lasting way, like Beyoncé with Lemonade, and Madonna in various moments along her career. 

Twitter

I’m Black and wouldn’t like Gaga to do that. However, it would be nice to see her walk during the protest.

lucastecala
6 minutes ago, sicilymanora said:

Gaga doesn't have to do anything. 

Darling, at this point nobody can afford to do nothing. 

Archived