Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Do you care for cohesiveness with albums?

Guillaume Hamon

Featured Posts

Guillaume Hamon

Gaga's currently praised for the cohesiveness of CHROMATICA by critics but do you guys care for it?  Or you're not bothered by an album going in many directions as long as you like each tracks?

Personally I don't necessarily look for a global experience in an album, I'm fine with landing on a different ground with each title and that's why I loved ARTPOP that critics said lacked a direction etc. :stalkga:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Francesca Cipriani

Yes, cohesiveness  and a definite theme/genre for all the songs. Otherwise it's just a compilation of songs disconnected from each other

JRCF29

I think it's one aspect; Some albums are cohesive, but not any good. Some albums are good, but not cohesive. Joanne is Gaga's most cohesive album imo, but BTW is her best (it's cohesive, but not as cohesive as Joanne)

Don't Call Me Gaga

Sepsami

Cohesiveness it what makes it an album imo, it might aswell be called a group of songs without it.

ARTPOP was still fairly cohesive apart from maybe DWUW and Dope.

Modern Ecstacy

Yes. In my opinion, the more cohesive an album is, the better. 

I tend to enjoy albums that have very different sounds on them to be less enjoyable.

Helix

Yes. I feel like it makes it more enjoyable when an album follows the same themes, whether that be sonically, lyrically, etc. I feel like an album is like a book or a film, it should have some sense of flow and narrative to go with it.

BABYL0N

Usually I like to have a mixture on albums but Chromatica‘s cohesiveness is something else it‘s like entering this world of pop and EDM and experiencing different kind of vibes on every song, I liked to compare it to the cohesiveness of Lana‘s Born To Die

It should not be too cohesive which is what Chromatica is. But it shouldnt be as messy as ARTPOP even though I love how messy it was on purpose but nobody got it.

FfFfFfFF

To an extend.

I also think a truly great album is one that is cohesive but also has some variety whitin.

Sepsami

It's one of the reasons Confessions is one of my fav albums of all time :diane:

Magui

I don't think I mind it... But I think it makes the experience very enjoyable. 

Idk how artists think and decide this stuff while recording an album, but I have read some interviews and it's interesting, cause when an artist is criticised about the lack of direction and cohesiveness, they usually try to make a more cohesive sound on the next album. I guess it's the artist choice, and plus depends on the listener taste. But to me it makes the experience of listen an album start to finish very enjoyable and harmonic. 

KORG
15 minutes ago, Guillaume Hamon said:

Gaga's currently praised for the cohesiveness of CHROMATICA by critics but do you guys care for it?  Or you're not bothered by an album going in many directions as long as you like each tracks?

Personally I don't necessarily look for a global experience in an album, I'm fine with landing on a different ground with each title and that's why I loved ARTPOP that critics said lacked a direction etc. :stalkga:

ARTPOP had direction. I made a thread last week... but critics arent very well educated.

An album is like a book. A good one, a legend is a novel. Nobody really cares for short stories.

elijahfan

An album is not just a collection of disconnected songs, it needs to feel like a cohesive body of work imo. Making it cohesive without the songs sounding the same can be tricky though.

Galvon

Yes with the theme and the production, but not completely. I can't stand it when all songs have the same vibe and the vocals sound the same.

Archived