💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
news

RollingStone Interview: Chromatica Began 2016/Acid-House Consensus

SMILE2NE1

Featured Posts

SMILE2NE1

Interview with Bloodpop and some of the other producers. Lot of new information.

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/lady-gaga-chromatica-making-of-bloodpop-axwell-1007139/

HIGHLIGHTS - Really explaining the reason why they went for a particular sound

“They were going through the history of dance music, and I play a little bit of a part in that history,” Axwell tells RS, calling from his home in Sweden. He was brought in this past winter to help amp up “Alice” and “Free Woman.” Axwell admired their dedication to making more “proper dance music,” leaning on house and garage scenes instead of just EDM. 

“When we sat with Gaga, we all talked about how it should feel. There was this general consensus that the music should feel classic and familiar, but also fresh and new at the same time. Something I thought about a lot when finishing these records: What sound would work here to make the listener almost feel comfortable, like they’ve experienced it before?”

"All three of the collaborators immersed themselves in Nineties house culture. They covered the studio in acid house posters and Burns would send Gaga and Tucker Spotify playlists of classic house music to further educate them."

“I was told not to use any sidechains throughout the album,” Norris explains. “Sidechains are a way of ducking one instrument out to make room for another, and it’s a really common thing in EDM. It wasn’t even possible to do when these classic Nineties house records were made. So I tried to steer clear from those to be true to that sound.”

“[Ben] added interested vocal effects, delays and reverb, which felt era-appropriate,” Norris says. The album’s also thought hard about the gear that they used, with Norris investing in a $50 “cheapo compressor” in tribute to Daft Punk who used a similarly low-budget compressor on their first two albums. It was used on “Rain on Me.”

HIGHLIGHTS - The Beginning

“It actually [began] around the same time Gaga was working on A Star is Born,” Tucker tells Rolling Stone."

At the time, Gaga and Tucker had “so many spinning plates,” as he describes it, with just-budding tracks beginning to come alive. They decided to solidify an album once five songs were completed: “Stupid Love,” “Enigma,” “Rain on Me,” “Alice” and “Free Woman.”

“[Gaga] just knew she wanted to dance,” Tucker adds. The decision to make an album rooted in house music would come some months later. “Some of those days were very long and hard emotionally. No matter how hard they would be, by 9 or 10pm she would be dancing and smiling. You could physically see dance music healing this person in real time so it just became obvious very quickly that that’s what we had to do.”

HIGHLIGHTS - Production Stories

“[Gaga] had to relive everything she was talking about in the song with every take,” Tucker explains. “She wore a wig to the studio that day, hoping it would make it a little bit easier to feel like someone else. We had it almost pitch-black in the studio. I wish everyone could see what I saw because she really fought for each and everyone of these songs to put her whole self into it, at any cost.”

“I had this old song we worked on, like, seven years ago with Elton John,” Axwell explains. “Sine From Above,” which was also co-written with Ryan Tedder, was meant to be a collaboration between the house duo and the legendary piano man. “We tried working on it and we couldn’t really get it where we wanted it,” he says. “It was also kind of hard to get ahold of Elton John. I had this on my computer and was like, ‘Wait a minute. Lady Gaga and Elton John are buddies.’” Axwell sent the demo to Gaga and Tucker, who loved the track. Plus, Gaga had an easier time getting ahold of John, as a longtime friend of the singer and the godmother to his son. “It was pretty cool how that song finally left my computer,” he laughs. “Recording Elton John on Skype from Australia is one of the most surreal moments I’ll never forget,” Burns adds.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chromatica Island

I'm a huge Daft Punk fan, I love that they tributed them with the compressor!

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

AyaKara

Interesting interview. So, Elton and Tedder wrote Sine From Above? :huh:

SMILE2NE1
2 minutes ago, Monsterabriel said:

I'm a huge Daft Punk fan, I love that they tributed them with the compressor!

I got Judas single cover "took the picture on my phone for texture" vibes, but this time, in a good way

Chromatica Island
1 minute ago, SMILE2NE1 said:

I got Judas single cover "took the picture on my phone for texture" vibes, but this time, in a good way

I mean, both are good! The Judas single cover comment was cute!

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

SMILE2NE1
3 minutes ago, AyaKara said:

Interesting interview. So, Elton and Tedder wrote Sine From Above? :huh:

HI Aya! Yes, I think it started out there, but Gaga put her flavour on it. 

shoful

I wonder how much Gaga wrote pf the song. I love it so much its genius. I fee like its the heart of the album

"My name is Dita, I'll be your Mistress tonight..."

Just A Holy Fool
5 minutes ago, shoful said:

I wonder how much Gaga wrote pf the song. I love it so much its genius. I fee like its the heart of the album

Don't worry, Linda Perry will let us know.

marry venus williams GIF

C1trus

"There was this general consensus that the music should feel classic and familiar, but also fresh and new at the same time."

This is how Gaga wanted people to come together, rather than alienating either the older generation or younger ones. 

This interview made me love the album even more :heart:

ι'м ρυℓℓιηg үσυя sтяιηgs

TortureMeOnReplay

So Plastic Doll is about Kinney and Fun Tonight is about Carino?

Quark

I love how they mentioned how the inspiration to ROM’s sound was Daft Punk. I made a thread comparing ROM to 90s Daft Punk songs as soon as ROM came out. 

thierryrreiht
50 minutes ago, justhislife said:

So Plastic Doll is about Kinney

Plastic Doll sounds more about Troy Carter to me

AshIey
1 hour ago, justhislife said:

So Plastic Doll is about Kinney and Fun Tonight is about Carino?

I think they both sound like Carino.

Anyway this was a great read, I really enjoyed hearing how this masterpiece was created :heart:

Archived