💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Will Gaga ever own her masters?

alice911

Featured Posts

alice911

Does she own masters to some part of her discography? or nothing at all? will she ever own them?

What does her leaked contract say?

if Rihanna can own her masters why not Gaga when she makes the songs from scratch? 

TimisaMonster

I hope one day she can buy them honestly and yeah Rihanna owning hers as if she had even 25% contribution to them :smh:

Stream my new single, 💜"Heartbeat"💜, on Spotify!

GaGaAst

She doesn't own her master yet. This is the reason why she leaked Aura the way she did to escape from Interscope's law suit. 

Honestly unlike Rihanna and Taylor, she doesn't care SOO much about masters. Hopefully she will in future. Her relationship with interscope is solid right now (unlike ARTPOP) and she is at a position where she can demand whatever she wants.    

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

LaLa

No, I don’t think she will. What would be the point while she’s still with Interscope and they have a good working relationship?  

If the label went bankrupt or something and her masters were being auctioned off, of course I can see her buying them, but it would cost her so much money, I just can’t see her doing it otherwise. 

edit: to answer your question of why she doesn’t own them, it’s because that’s what a recording contract is. Interscope “hired” her to make song for them. They own them, and she gets paid. That’s the deal, it’s completely standard. Some people end up buying themselves out of those contract so they can have complete control of their music, but it’s more rare and can be very expensive, and if you’re not in conflict with your label it might not be a priority to a lot of people

alice911
11 minutes ago, LaLa said:

No, I don’t think she will. What would be the point while she’s still with Interscope and they have a good working relationship?  

If the label went bankrupt or something and her masters were being auctioned off, of course I can see her buying them, but it would cost her so much money, I just can’t see her doing it otherwise. 

edit: to answer your question of why she doesn’t own them, it’s because that’s what a recording contract is. Interscope “hired” her to make song for them. They own them, and she gets paid. That’s the deal, it’s completely standard. Some people end up buying themselves out of those contract so they can have complete control of their music, but it’s more rare and can be very expensive, and if you’re not in conflict with your label it might not be a priority to a lot of people

Oh i see.. So rihanna was leaving Def Jam before the Anti era and going to that Jay z label(?) so she had no option but to buy hers?

LaLa
3 minutes ago, IndianGagaFan said:

Oh i see.. So rihanna was leaving Def Jam before the Anti era and going to that Jay z label(?) so she had no option but to buy hers?

I honestly don’t know anything about Rihanna’s case so I can’t speak to that,  but as we see with Taylor leaving you label doesn’t mean you get to buy your masters. Owning the catalogues of successful artists is how labels make money, so it’s up to them whether it’s in their interest to sell. Some might need cash so they are willing to sell and sacrifice the long term profit.

If Gaga chose to leave Interscope I really don’t know if they would sell to her, she is one of their biggest artists. And that’s if she even wants to. They still have to pay her her cut either way, so she might not think it makes financial sense to do it, who know?

Lanadelduck
55 minutes ago, GaGaAst said:

She doesn't own her master yet. This is the reason why she leaked Aura the way she did to escape from Interscope's law suit. 

Honestly unlike Rihanna and Taylor, she doesn't care SOO much about masters. Hopefully she will in future. Her relationship with interscope is solid right now (unlike ARTPOP) and she is at a position where she can demand whatever she wants.    

What lawsuit and why????

malazam
26 minutes ago, LaLa said:

I honestly don’t know anything about Rihanna’s case so I can’t speak to that,  but as we see with Taylor leaving you label doesn’t mean you get to buy your masters. Owning the catalogues of successful artists is how labels make money, so it’s up to them whether it’s in their interest to sell. Some might need cash so they are willing to sell and sacrifice the long term profit.

If Gaga chose to leave Interscope I really don’t know if they would sell to her, she is one of their biggest artists. And that’s if she even wants to. They still have to pay her her cut either way, so she might not think it makes financial sense to do it, who know?

Depends on the type o contract and knowing Gaga.

There are many forms like one out album you get the master of a previou one, or you get the masters after the album cycle ended.. or they could have agreed that when she leaves she owns everything.

Remember that Gaga was no fool about contratcs (paper gangsta) and she renewed after Joanne...

I read somewhere that was interested in going to Warner during ASIB but Interscope fought for her to stay so they're proably Gaga's lap dog rn and this is why the album release and promo has been on point.

another shot before we kiss the other side

Derrick615

Since she at least owns the publishing rights to (most) of her own releases, she'll always profit. This is why all the Enigma shows and one-offs are super beneficial to her personal income. I feel that music has become supplemental to her. 

Lighter

It doesn’t matter. She has a good relationship with Interscope.

But if ever they try to taylor swift her in some way.

We fightin.:vegas:

GaGaAst
1 hour ago, Lanadelduck said:

What lawsuit and why????

she wanted Aura to be ARTPOP's lead single but Interscope wanted applause. She tried her best to make that happen but they didn't agree. So she herself leaked aura through someone else. Since she doesn't own her masters Interscope can file a case against her for leaking Aura. But she released it smartly through someone else. 

alice911
2 hours ago, mauvais said:

No, idts, unless she leaves Interscope or she's negotiated to own them in, like, 20 years but I think labels will hold onto masters because streaming is a real force. It's all about the long game.

Jay probably helped Rihanna secure her masters as the former CEO of Def Jam but they could've just as easily stayed with the label. Plenty of artists never own their masters, and Rihanna hasn't reissued anything afaik. If I was an artist already signed to a label, I'd want to own my masters only if I left my label or started my own — hence its a low priority for artists like Gaga who aren't going anywhere. 

And, what was Def Jam's contribution? Sound recording rights have nothing to do with artistry, just $$$!

Gotcha... I was just wondering regarding this topic because Taylor Swift has made a whole big deal about owning masters so I thought why Gaga hasn't made this kind of fuss like Taylor so far.

I guess she is simply on good terms with interscope and doesn't really wanna leave them so she doesnt care about the masters 

alice911
1 hour ago, GaGaAst said:

she wanted Aura to be ARTPOP's lead single but Interscope wanted applause. She tried her best to make that happen but they didn't agree. So she herself leaked aura through someone else. Since she doesn't own her masters Interscope can file a case against her for leaking Aura. But she released it smartly through someone else. 

And we all know Applause was the better choice. Lord if she went with Aura the album would have been DOA :bradley:

GaGaAst
17 minutes ago, IndianGagaFan said:

And we all know Applause was the better choice. Lord if she went with Aura the album would have been DOA :bradley:

Burqa demo is far superior to applause. Probably she wanted to release the demo and not aura. 

Archived