💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Fun Tonight’s true meaning

Rosalina

Featured Posts

Rosalina

I think people are interpreting Fun Tonight completely wrong. Well not wrong, because all interpretations are valid and subjective, but I don’t think anyone’s picked up on the deeper meaning of the song. The song isn’t directed at her fans, or Christian. It’s directed at Gaga herself. 

Fun Tonight’s Spotify storyline simply says ‘When you listen to this song, imagine you’re singing to yourself’.

“I stare at the girl in the mirror she talks to me too; I can see it in your face, you don’t think I’ve pulled my weight, maybe it’s time for us to say goodbye”

She’s singing to her own reflection - remember what she said in the interview with Zane, about feeling like you aren’t allowed to be happy? She feels as though part of her is telling her she isn’t allowed to be happy, and wants to break from that toxic way of thinking. 

Hence ‘I’m not having Fun Tonight’ - she’s being defiant when people try to cheer her up or get her to have fun because she feels she’s not deserving of it and is ashamed.

I think this is part of the reason why I feel this is one of the best songs Gaga has ever written because it has so many layers and meanings. It’s just fantastic.

Bon Gonzalez

Yeah, I've been saying on this site that the song is actually about Gaga talking to herself after I read that Spotify storyline. It makes sense especially with the lyrics "You love the paparazzi, love the fame, even though you know it causes me pain".

Rosalina
2 minutes ago, Bon Gonzalez said:

Yeah, I've been saying on this site that the song is actually about Gaga talking to herself after I read that Spotify storyline. It makes sense especially with the lyrics "You love the paparazzi, love the fame, even though you know it causes me pain".

Exactly - I feel like the 1st verse is Gaga singing to her reflection, and the 2nd is the reverse. Similar structure to Sexxx Dreams. I’m so glad someone else noticed! 

2School4Cool

I agree with every word of this. I think so much of her Zane Lowe interview applies here. Her family and friends would surround her and try to make her smile or laugh or feel optimistic but she just couldn’t, maybe because of a “wound she still entertains.” Despite everyone’s efforts, she’s not having fun tonight, and the lyrics lay out why she isn’t having fun.

As for the paparazzi and fame lyric, I think this applies to her statement in the interview about not wanting to be a celebrity and just be an artist. Sure the lyric alludes to her past songs, but it’s also her saying “everyone loves this world of fame and celebrity, but it causes me so much pain.” Or maybe she’s even singing that line to herself as well, she has a part of herself who’s connected to that world but it’s also caused her so much pain so she wants to say goodbye to it. There are obviously different interpretations but that’s my take. 

This song is one of the best songs she’s ever written in my opinion. The melody, the lyrics, it’s so vulnerable, and it’ll also help people who struggle to find happiness, they can hear this song and know they’re not alone.

See The Best In Everyone

Scar97

Girl omg you’re right. Thank god, I thought she hated me. I’m a piece of sh*t but still :wtfga:

Now imagine her singing this at the Chromatica Ball: “I’m not having Fun Tonight”. :huntyga:

Still waiting for ARTPOP Act II, Original LG5, Babylon Haus Labs version, etc.

Chromatica Island

I always imagine Stephani singing it to Gaga and vice versa.

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

we’ll never know if it’s directed at a specific person until she confirms so why not believe in a little drama for fun?! lil’ monsters are all abt drama anyways...

is my haus, 1000 doves is about bradley cooper and how he believed in her out of 100 ppl thanks for coming to my ted talk :bradley: :ally: 

heavymlover

I'm loving this. It's my favorite interpretation of the song, and I really think you're onto something. For some reason the whole 'it's about Carino' 'it's about fans having too high expectations' didn't completely click for me. It does make a lot of sense that this is Gaga dealing with herself.

GagaUnderYou

I personally think it's inspired about Taylor and herself. 

It feels like a goodbye to "Lady Gaga" for some reason. 

I really like Fun Tonight.

GagaUnderYou
12 minutes ago, LGfan said:

Now imagine her singing this at the Chromatica Ball: “I’m not having Fun Tonight”. :huntyga:

right before she performs "whose having FUN TONIGGGGHT????" 

GaGaAst

it makes lots of sense. Also anyone thinks that entire album is about her or us. This is about her relationship with herself and us monsters. 

Love it when you call me legs In the morning, buy me eggs

yes and

I can literally hear her singing all these lyrics to her ex-boyfriend Carino :bradley:

Did you think I'd show up in a limousine? No

Archived