Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Fun Tonight’s true meaning

Rosalina

Featured Posts

Creyk
4 hours ago, Rosalina said:

I think people are interpreting Fun Tonight completely wrong. Well not wrong, because all interpretations are valid and subjective, but I don’t think anyone’s picked up on the deeper meaning of the song. The song isn’t directed at her fans, or Christian. It’s directed at Gaga herself. 

Fun Tonight’s Spotify storyline simply says ‘When you listen to this song, imagine you’re singing to yourself’.

“I stare at the girl in the mirror she talks to me too; I can see it in your face, you don’t think I’ve pulled my weight, maybe it’s time for us to say goodbye”

She’s singing to her own reflection - remember what she said in the interview with Zane, about feeling like you aren’t allowed to be happy? She feels as though part of her is telling her she isn’t allowed to be happy, and wants to break from that toxic way of thinking. 

Hence ‘I’m not having Fun Tonight’ - she’s being defiant when people try to cheer her up or get her to have fun because she feels she’s not deserving of it and is ashamed.

I think this is part of the reason why I feel this is one of the best songs Gaga has ever written because it has so many layers and meanings. It’s just fantastic.

Wait what are you saying, so is she dissing herself?

Schwerk
4 hours ago, Rosalina said:

I think people are interpreting Fun Tonight completely wrong. Well not wrong, because all interpretations are valid and subjective, but I don’t think anyone’s picked up on the deeper meaning of the song. The song isn’t directed at her fans, or Christian. It’s directed at Gaga herself. 

Fun Tonight’s Spotify storyline simply says ‘When you listen to this song, imagine you’re singing to yourself’.

“I stare at the girl in the mirror she talks to me too; I can see it in your face, you don’t think I’ve pulled my weight, maybe it’s time for us to say goodbye”

She’s singing to her own reflection - remember what she said in the interview with Zane, about feeling like you aren’t allowed to be happy? She feels as though part of her is telling her she isn’t allowed to be happy, and wants to break from that toxic way of thinking. 

Hence ‘I’m not having Fun Tonight’ - she’s being defiant when people try to cheer her up or get her to have fun because she feels she’s not deserving of it and is ashamed.

I think this is part of the reason why I feel this is one of the best songs Gaga has ever written because it has so many layers and meanings. It’s just fantastic.

Exactly, she is talking to herself. I do feel this song also is about her fans because of what I made bold in your post above. I think those people can be her fans. (and the people around her ofcourse.) This scenario occurs often for her in different situations I guess, among friends, at an awards how, on stage at her own show.

This song really speaks to me on two levels. First what I describe above, I feel for her and the pressure she feels and the high expectations that are put onto her by herself (and others) and I've seen her in emotional pain but not being able to help her.

But foremost I really relate to this song because it perfectly describes a feeling that has been part of me since childhood. When everyone around me was having fun, including me, suddenly I would be washed over with emotions. Like a heavy blanket is put on top of me and I can't take it off. I can see through it and see that nothing about the situation has changed to reason me feeling this way, but the blanket stays there weighing me down. I can get more excited but my words are muffled by the blanket, they don't sound as excited as they do in my head. And people don't really notice me anymore because of the blanket. This is something I still deal with a lot, a certain disconnect that is sometimes very scary.

According to Gaga I'm a ****ing rad bitch

sethrb101

I looooove the song. And I agree she's clearly singing to herself

#Gaga2020

Archived