đź’™ HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT đź’š

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Britney thanks fans for Mood Ring going to #1 on iTunes

Gimme More

Featured Posts

Gimme More

Britney Spears is still reveling in her ninth studio album, Glory, even four years after its release. 

Earlier this month, Spears' collection of sexy, sparkling pop confections -- including the singles "Make Me" and "Slumber Party" -- topped iTunes' Pop Albums chart after the superstar's ever-loyal Britney Army launched the #JusticeForGlory campaign on social media. Spears later expressed her gratitude by issuing a sizzling new album cover shot by famed photographer David LaChapelle. 

Now, the Grammy winner has bestowed another gift upon fans: Friday's (May 29) surprise-drop of Glory's beloved bonus track "Mood Ring," previously only available in Japan

Less than a day after "Mood Ring" made its debut in all territories, Spears' legions of admirers -- through sales and streams -- helped it reach No. 1 on the U.S. iTunes chart, an admirable feat given that Spears' last-minute entry is competing against songs from Lady Gaga's Chromatica, also released on Friday. 

"This is incredible! 'Mood Ring' is one of my favorite songs on Glory, it’s so vibey and sexy," Spears tells Billboard exclusively. "I’m so grateful to the fans for pushing for its release, and then for making it go to No. 1 on iTunes. I have the best fans in the world! I love you all!"

Arguably, no one is more in awe than songwriters Melanie Fontana and Jon Asher, who penned "Mood Ring" for Spears in 2015. While both have worked with a myriad of high-profile artists -- from BTS to The Chainsmokers -- writing for the undisputed Princess of Pop was particularly meaningful. 

"She's the reason I am a songwriter," Fontana tells Billboard. "There's a machine behind every artist and I've always wanted to become part of hers, since I was a little girl. Britney Spears was definitely my 'white whale,' basically something I've been chasing for so long. When I saw that she was putting out 'Mood Ring' for real -- like a repackaged single of sorts -- I just thought, 'Wow, you did it, kid.'"

Adds Asher, "In comparison to anything I've ever done, 'Mood Ring' feels like a destiny fulfillment. I knew when I moved to L.A. that I would be working towards getting a Britney song. I didn't know how it was going to happen, but I knew it would."

Jon Asher also notes that it was RCA who helped release Mood Ring, not her actual team: “RCA said that Britney's fans have been super active during quarantine and they wanted to basically reward them by releasing "Mood Ring."

Source: Billboard

Please don't hate, it's obviously not going to be #1 for long, but it is a great feat for a 4 year old song that was only put on all platforms as a thank you to fans.

#JusticeForBritney ♡

zerojk

The thing is... she had to suddenly release it the exact same day as Gaga released her highly anticipated album?

i just don’t get it

Monsieur D

I love Britney :kara:

It doesn't bother to me her holding the #1 spot. Good for her and her fans :firega:

Ryusei
1 minute ago, zerojk said:

The thing is... she had to suddenly release it the exact same day as Gaga released her highly anticipated album?

i just don’t get it

Yeah Britney is clearly a chart threat and wants to snatch a #1 :saladga: It's a fan gift and nothing more chill out. 

Musery

elijahfan

I don't get the thing with Britney... Where were all her fans 4 years ago when Make Me debuted at #17 and Glory lazily peaked at #3? :triggered:

And Mood Ring, one of her faves? Yeah, she loved it so much she made it the Japanese bonus track.... Her team is really taking us for fools.

Gimme More
10 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

I don't get the thing with Britney... Where were all her fans 4 years ago when Make Me debuted at #17 and Glory lazily peaked at #3? :triggered:

And Mood Ring, one of her faves? Yeah, she loved it so much she made it the Japanese bonus track.... Her team is really taking us for fools.

so a number 3 is a flop? Also on the day it came out on iTunes it was number 1 in many countries.

I'm sure there are many songs Gaga fans believed should have peaked higher, does that make the fans lazy? no - it just doesn't always work out the way we all want :)

it's a much loved album by her fans and received a great reception from critics so let Britney and her fans enjoy this moment - the song is merely a thank you.

#JusticeForBritney ♡

Pennywise

I'm really happy for anything that makes her happy tbh :runhug:

YOUR GOD IS NOT HERE MICHAEL NOR WILL HE EVER BE

KillerMonster

Why did she have to release it now? Poor Rain on Me :messga:

Don’t play with me, it just hurts me.

Mister G
20 minutes ago, elijahfan said:

Yeah I didn’t get why wait 4 years to release it. My guess is that her team figured to capitalize off the little buzz Glory was getting since it went #1 on iTunes a few weeks ago.

Emvee
7 minutes ago, KillerMonster said:

Why did she have to release it now? Poor Rain on Me :messga:

ROM is a smash hit regardless of this bonus track. Don’t understand why people are getting tense about it lol 

elijahfan
14 minutes ago, Gimme More said:

so a number 3 is a flop? Also on the day it came out on iTunes it was number 1 in many countries.

I'm sure there are many songs Gaga fans believed should have peaked higher, does that make the fans lazy? no - it just doesn't always work out the way we all want :)

it's a much loved album by her fans and received a great reception from critics so let Britney and her fans enjoy this moment - the song is merely a thank you.

Sis... Glory (which I purchased, FYI) barely sold 154k copies in the US. I know the industry has changed a lot since the time she was selling millions, but that still wasn't an overwhelming success.

Also, if you think Britney herself has anything to do with this re-release... She doesn't control anything, she just wants to be left alone doing cute runways in her mansion tbh. Her team is just happy to be able to make some unexpected money off of 4 year-old material (they manage to make you pay and make it seem like it's a gift, I mean for real....).

Archived