Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

So, what does Babylon really mean?

OMonster

Featured Posts

OMonster

I understand the general theme of overcoming gossip and 'working' it in spite of chains - but what does the song actually mean?

Like... why Babylon? 

I know it's a homonym for 'babble on' - but Gaga could've easily titled the song 'Gossip', for example, and not pursued the 'ancient city style' / 'BC' theme. 

There's obviously a lot of hidden meaning within this song, and I don't like that I'm possibly missing it :bradley:

I understand that the Tower of Babel can be interpreted as the reason we all speak different languages (thus, 'babble' and 'gossip' = communication lost in translation) - but there must be more to it than that... no?

I mean, I would be surprised if the song really is just about gossip because I never thought that Gaga was so disturbed by that. In fact, I think she often encouraged the mystery that surrounds her. After all, she is a self-proclaimed 'Enigma'. 

I've been researching Babylon this morning, but I can't piece it all together. 

And I LOVE this song. But I need to be able to fully understand it to completely believe it. 

So, what's your interpretation of this song? Am I looking too deep?

subtext / fantasy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tomsches

You just gotta serve it ancient city style, henny. 

HolyDelRey

It means that is the best song on the album :giveup:

The only prisons that exist are ones we put each other in..

Agagkills

Has to do with sex . The sinners from Babylon were very open about sex specially homosexuality and a-nal  sex wasn’t a big deal . 

Creyk

I am not sure the song has an actualy deep meaning besides the ones which are known already. It's more trying to create a fierce, daring vibe while keeping her (gay) fans in mind and trying to give them something that they will love.

boysomewhere

Do you think it is a portal for the next Album? Have you read th storyline on spotify?

Daylight Jokers

I guess she connected it to the story of the Babel Tower (located in Babylon) which is basically a story about how different languages were created. The Babylonians tried to build a tower that could reach the heavens but God said 'No, hoe' and gave the Babylonians different languages and that hindered them from finishing the tower.

You can't gossip if you can't understand the language that the other person is saying.

likeitrough

i think it's about having a good time with authentic (friends) people? people that aren't there for money or gossip. like, 'let's go have fun, bring the real you whatever that may be'. 

Supersonic

It's a reference to the story about the Tower of Babylon (as written in the Tora and Bible). The humans tried to build a tower to the heaven, to show the superiority of humanity. God was furious and cursed the people involved in the construction to all speak different languages and not be able to communicate anymore. The story also specifically mentions hundreds of people, all speaking in different languages over each other, trying to get their point across, creating a humongous cloud of noise.

I personally think Babylon is a reference to how "gossip" is just a cloud of millions of people talking over each other, over nothing substantial. And how that loud cloud can fog your brain.

AdmistTheLight
2 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

It's a reference to the story about the Tower of Babylon (as written in the Tora and Bible). The humans tried to build a tower to the heaven, to show the superiority of humanity. God was furious and cursed the people involved in the construction to all speak different languages and not be able to communicate anymore. The story also specifically mentions hundreds of people, all speaking in different languages over each other, trying to get their point across, creating a humongous cloud of noise.

I personally think Babylon is a reference to how "gossip" is just a cloud of millions of people talking over each other, over nothing substantial. And how that loud cloud can fog your brain.

Love this interpretation 

Liberaté mi amor

Gracious Gaga

Remember when everyone thought Babylon was the haus labs song LOL

♥ Kindness Police.

Archived