Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

My thoughts on 'Replay'

magicalgaga

Featured Posts

magicalgaga

First I have to say that the song didn't really do anything for me. After listening to it at least four times and really concentrating on the lyrics (English is not my first language so I don't catch the meanings of the lyrics right away) I'm getting shivers all over me.

I'm pretty damn sure that this song literally tells the story of her traumas and what it's like for her to live with PTSD. I'm just kind of in shock because I've been diagnosed with the same condition this spring and it's just something so personal that I couldn't possibly imagine making something so openly about it. It's just hits on a different level now. Bless this woman and her abilities.

What do you think of 'Replay'? Is it as powerful to you as it is to me?

i was born this way, baby

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Doncho

Loved it on first listen! I can already imagine a creepy halloween themed video. My 2nd fave after Enigma

Jonathan2244

Its my favourite, Halloweeny vibe Top for me on the whole album.

dollardays

It's one of her best songs ever

The "I dig a grave" verse is genius

Juanne

Immediately hooked with the tunes and lyrics, this is the spotlight from the album for me, it's tapping into a dark topic and I love it!!

For me it's Bad Romance level

QueenMortuana

Totally. This song reminds me of being gaslit by someone close to me. I can't wait to hear the emotion she brings to it live. :enigma:

Top 3 on the album, along with 911 and Alice and followed immediately after by Enigma

no

jimmytimestep

I think, like a lot of the album, it's about her struggles with fame, and the PTSD from the fatigue and stress she experienced during past eras. The mental stress she's held onto for so many years. But I think "Replay" specifically is about her relationship with us, the fans and while it's exhilarating, like the song - in many ways we hurt her.

"You're the worst thing and best thing that's happened to me" - the intense fame has brought her depression and pressure, but an incredible fan base that loves her, and art, and wealth.

"Does it matter, does it matter? Damage is done
Does it matter, does it matter? You had the gun
You had the gun
You had the gun
You had the gun" - she's not in control, the pressure to satiate the fans is. We're in control, we hold the gun.

And of course, the most telling:

"The monster inside you is torturing me
The scars on my mind are on replay, r-replay
You monsters torture me
You monsters torture me
You monsters torture me

The scars on my mind are on replay, r-replay"

My take.

herassisfamous
13 minutes ago, Doncho said:

Loved it on first listen! I can already imagine a creepy halloween themed video. My 2nd fave after Enigma

I can smell the taste from miles away :vegas:

All we need is love

magicalgaga
1 minute ago, jimmytimestep said:

I think, like a lot of the album, it's about her struggles with fame, and the PTSD from the fatigue and stress she experienced during past eras. The mental stress she's held onto for so many years. But I think "Replay" specifically is about her relationship with us, the fans and while it's exhilarating, like the song - in many ways we hurt her.

"You're the worst thing and best thing that's happened to me" - the intense fame has brought her depression and pressure, but an incredible fan base that loves her, and art, and wealth.

You had the gun
You had the gun
You had the gun" - she's not in control, the pressure to satiate the fans is. We're in control, we hold the gun.

You monsters torture me
You monsters torture me
You monsters torture me

My take.

Very interesting take and completely valid! I was just focusing on the line "the scars on my mind are on replay" because that's clearly the key line of the song. It describes the feeling of having flashbacks perfectly, at least in my own experience. 

i was born this way, baby

Ceres

I honestly thought this was the Skrillex produced song bc of the sp00ky vibes. This was a standout to me on the album. 

✧ ✧ ✧

Chromatica Island

I love it I relate to it on a personal level, having suicidal thoughts in the past and having ocd (the bad thought kind of ocd not physical)(I'm doing better now) it really hits home for me, 911 is another one, I take antidepressants and I relate to the lyrics especially the chorus, 1000 doves is another one, it reminds me of the times I've found solace in the mental hospital and feeling broken and fixed again. This album is really something special for me, I feel less alone in my struggles and I can dance through the pain!

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

Antoni
4 minutes ago, jimmytimestep said:

You had the gun
You had the gun

You monsters torture me
You monsters torture me
You monsters torture me

My take.

I agree, I had this theory too.

I also like the theory that it's Stefani singing about Gaga instead of Gaga singing about us.

That last line though is "Your monsters torture me," not "You monsters torture me."

My name isn't Timmers

Archived