Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

My thoughts on 'Replay'

magicalgaga

Featured Posts

2School4Cool
1 minute ago, magicalgaga said:

This is exactly why Replay is one of my favourites on the album! She is so brave for making a song like this about the hardest things she's ever had to go through. It makes me so emotional I- :messga:

The most amazing thing about it is that people can relate to it and connect to it. Not only was it healing for her, but it will help heal so many other people, or at least make them feel less alone.

See The Best In Everyone

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PinkJelly

I’m in love with the juxtaposition of the lyrics and beat, single material imo :giveup:

magicalgaga
1 minute ago, 2School4Cool said:

The most amazing thing about it is that people can relate to it and connect to it. Not only was it healing for her, but it will help heal so many other people, or at least make them feel less alone.

Yes, exactly! I'm certain that this song will be the one that I'll be listening to after experiencing my own PTSD symptoms to calm me down. I've been looking for such a song and to have the queen herself deliver one for me and all of us... Bless her soul :heart:

i was born this way, baby

amazinglyjon

The first time I listened to Replay I was vibing so hard. And then I decided to look into the lyrics on the second listen, and I might be off on this, but first thing that came to mind for me was the sexual assault from a former producer.

- "Am I still alive? Where am I? I cry. Who was it that pulled the trigger, was it you or I?"... this is inital confusion with whether she should blame herself for that experience or not. All she could do was cry and wondering if she'll survive this.

- "I won't blame myself 'cause we both know you were the one"... her realization in the end that she shouldn't blame herself for that past assault.

- "The scars on my mind are on replay, r-replay. The monster inside you is torturing me"... she's mentioned how this has been a cause of her PTSD. The experience was mentally scarring for her and haunts her to this day.

- "Every single day, yeah, I dig a grave, then I sit inside it, wondering if I'll behave. It’s a game I play, and I hate to say you're the worst thing and the best thing that's happened to me"... when she mentions "game", she might be referring to the music industry. Maybe at the time, she felt obliged to follow the "rules" of the industry. The "worst thing" could refer to the assault and the "best thing" could refer to her making it in the music industry/fame/creating the music she wants now.

- "Does it matter, does it matter? Damage is done. Does it matter, does it matter? You had the gun"... reminds me of her conversation with Oprah on radical acceptance. She recognizes that the damage is done. She recognizes that the producer was the one who took advantage of her ("you had the gun"). And by saying "does it matter?" I take that as a form of radical acceptance. She's accepted the reality of it and doesn't blame herself for it now. She's a survivor.

Of course this song can be interpreted in other ways too, but that's what just came to mind for me personally. After reading the lyrics to a bunch of songs, she really meant it when she said "dance through the pain".

JoeMo

I think Replay would do well as a single in the UK. I can hear them playing a song like that all over Radio 1

www.youtube.com/jmremixes

iDontSpeakGerman

I appreciate Replay but I'm just feeling it as much as everyone else. Don't drag me but Fun Tonight shits on it for me :stalkga:

🕺This is my dancefloor I fought for 🕺

Glamourpuss

The Spotify description made me appreciate it so much more. When someone suffers with ptsd they have traumatic memories that replay over and over again and this makes them feel trapped. The song is a masterpiece and I hope it isn't one that becomes underrated in time. 

candyglam

I latched onto “1000 Doves” after the first listen as my personal anthem of dealing with mental health issues. But on the second time through, “Replay” jumped at me when I focused on the lyrics. I have generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder and this song really captures the essence of feeling like your thoughts are killing you. The fact that she paired it with this insane disco beat makes it so cathartic and amazing.

scheisseJK

is it just me.. or  i feel Frankenstein vibes in this song:excited: and yes one of the highlits of the album (to be honest this album is full of highlights :billie:)

RahrahWitch

It stood out at first but after a minute in I was hooked and loved it!

It gives me a creepy vibe but given the subject matter it's perfect for that.

rain on me
10 hours ago, jimmytimestep said:

I think, like a lot of the album, it's about her struggles with fame, and the PTSD from the fatigue and stress she experienced during past eras. The mental stress she's held onto for so many years. But I think "Replay" specifically is about her relationship with us, the fans and while it's exhilarating, like the song - in many ways we hurt her.

"You're the worst thing and best thing that's happened to me" - the intense fame has brought her depression and pressure, but an incredible fan base that loves her, and art, and wealth.

"Does it matter, does it matter? Damage is done
Does it matter, does it matter? You had the gun
You had the gun
You had the gun
You had the gun" - she's not in control, the pressure to satiate the fans is. We're in control, we hold the gun.

And of course, the most telling:

"The monster inside you is torturing me
The scars on my mind are on replay, r-replay
You monsters torture me
You monsters torture me
You monsters torture me

The scars on my mind are on replay, r-replay"

My take.

this is a great theory but i don't think it's about us because gaga said (in the storyline on spotify) that this song is a "replay of all (her) monsters, not the little ones"

and when she sings "you're the worst thing and the bad thing that's happened to me" i think she's talking to her trauma because she also mentioned that even though it has plagued her mind for years it is "precisely the thing that now powers (her) life force to be braver" 

but who knowsss:)

julz

Stranger Things vibes in the beginning... did anyone notice or mention that?

ThisBitch

The lyrics are YOUR monsters torture me, but I'm hearing YOU monsters :bradley:

ThisBitch
4 minutes ago, julz said:

Stranger Things vibes in the beginning... did anyone notice or mention that?

Do you know Amsterdam by Nothing But Thieves? It's almost the same beginning

Archived