💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga, Pls Talk About George Floyd

hoeslay

Featured Posts

hoeslay

We're only just getting into the heat of things with protests around the country, but I think it's very irresponsible if Gaga doesn't use her platform. Yes it's a global issue and yes many people are aware but she IS and activist and activism requires constantly putting in the work. As a Gaga stan of 10 years I know she puts in the work and puts her money where here mouth is but it's important for her to really acknowledge situations like this. It shows solidarity and the simple tea is - a part of her fanbase consists of white gays who can do so much better at supporting BIPOC communities. That's just a fact. I'm not here to start drama but I think Halsey was really right about this and made a big point!! 

Reminder that this is an opinion on how I think she should use her platform. If she wants to be a Kindness Punk well, to me, being an activist to this degree is what that means. It's sticking to who she's said she is and if her music and CHROMATICA is healing, please Gaga bring attention to ways we can help the black community. 

This is not the time for silence. Period.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hardcore1996

I love Gaga so much but especially in recent years she doesnt publicly address this kind of thing if not through music. It’s a double edged sword because I remember her getting dragged by people on twitter for even asking what she could do about stuff like this, but its also weird seeing her not speak up. Idk, there’s no easy answer to this but I’m sure she’s upset by it even if she doesnt post about it.  

edit: dont come for me but facts are facts. shes an extremely wealthy white woman coming from a middle class background and when a whole demographic of people are mourning they dont wanna hear it from people like her and thats fair. but she’ll also get dragged for saying nothing. its not an easy situation

Miel

I agree.

I wouldn't vilify her at the moment, though, as this is something that has only recently but very quickly, gained media traction and attention.

But I truly hope she says something, if she is aware about it. We know that she has actively spoken in support of Black Lives Matter before.

3 points in and ready for more

Evan Peters

Last time she discussed topics as such she was dragged on here, Twitter, Instagram, etc. girl apparently can’t win 

emma roberts is an abuser

brooklyngypsy

I do believe its important for celebrities to use their platform to speak out on such tragedies, especially when they're racially motivated. Simultaneously, I'm torn on whether white celebrities can really make an impactful statement on matters of the black community without seeming neoliberal and fake-progressive. Sometimes its not in your place to speak on these matters, but ofc that could also be seen as ignoring glaring problems in America and simultaneously normalizing/enabling them.

It's a difficult position to be in and I don't necessarily agree with Halsey's statement. Silence is sometimes preferred to making a statement that really doesn't do anything except give celebrities brownie points for being "woke". ESPECIALLY when those celebrities a) are not black or b) have never done anything concrete to advance the black community directly.

I especially have a disdain for white people who retweet and share images of these violent acts, unaware of their privilege that they get to just see this on a phone or computer screen, and force black people scrolling through the timeline to relive generational trauma.

Miel
Just now, hardcore1996 said:

I love Gaga so much but especially in recent years she doesnt publicly address this kind of thing if not through music. It’s a double edged sword because I remember her getting dragged by people on twitter for even asking what she could do about stuff like this, but its also weird seeing her not speak up. Idk, there’s no easy answer to this but I’m sure she’s upset by it even if she doesnt post about it.  

I agree. That said, I would rather her awkwardly but earnestly speak up about it, than not say anything at all.

And I have faith that she will, somehow.

Ziggy

Tbh I don’t want her to. She ought to be cognizant of where her voice is best used as a white woman. Too often white people speak their minds on something like this without having done research or being full aware. I think Gaga knows better than to wade into that at this point. It just isn’t her place. She knows and can advocate for mental health and queer stuff, but race isn’t really her forte and if you can’t meaningfully contribute to the conversation why say anything at all? Angel Down worked but that’s about as far as I think she ought to go into America’s race problems. There’s only so much she can know and really truly “get” as a multi millionaire white women from upper middle class NYC upbringing

Chromatica Island

I'm sure she will, she wrote Angel Down for Trayvon Martin, so I'm sure she will address it!:heart:

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

Chromatica Island
5 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Tbh I don’t want her to. She ought to be cognizant of where her voice is best used as a white woman. Too often white people speak their minds on something like this without having done research or being full aware. I think Gaga knows better than to wade into that at this point. It just isn’t her place. She knows and can advocate for mental health and queer stuff, but race isn’t really her forte.

She is an ally though, I understand where your coming from, as someone with a bit of Native American blood, You have to be educated and not throw words around to get people to like you.

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

Alvaro Moreno Ullrich

She did not even say happy birthday to bobby so

Franch Toast

While I would love for her to say something, last time she tried to enter the conversation on the topic of police brutality against African Americans, she made things worse and pissed off people in the black community. 

That said, stream "Angel Down" y'all. I just listened to it. 

She/Her/Hers

Miel
Just now, brooklyngypsy said:

I do believe its important for celebrities to use their platform to speak out on such tragedies, especially when they're racially motivated. Simultaneously, I'm torn on whether white celebrities can really make an impactful statement on matters of the black community without seeming neoliberal and fake-progressive. Sometimes its not in your place to speak on these matters, but ofc that could also be seen as ignoring glaring problems in America and simultaneously normalizing/enabling them.

It's a difficult position to be in and I don't necessarily agree with Halsey's statement. Silence is sometimes preferred to making a statement that really doesn't do anything except give celebrities brownie points for being "woke". ESPECIALLY when those celebrities a) are not black or b) have never done anything concrete to advance the black community directly.

I agree that it's touchy, and in a way I do acknowledge that it might be difficult for white/non-Black celebrities to attempt to get their point across without seeming disingenuous.

But, I do think there are simple and effective ways to work on this. Calling for people to sign a petition, or call regional government, and such. It's much better than nothing, in my opinion!

And also, as somebody who can be very and highly emotional regarding respectability politics and fragility, I don't think Gaga asking for community engagement advice in 2017 was as cringy as the rest of the social media made it out to be. She acknowledged she was a white woman who had a voice of privilege that she wanted to use for good. That's the least she could have done, and she's always done above and beyond it!

Ziggy
1 minute ago, Monsterabriel said:

She is an ally though and a force for kindness

Yeah but the last thing beyond something racist that people want to hear is a kindness schpiel from her. It would come off as condescending in this light.

hoeslay
2 minutes ago, brooklyngypsy said:

I'm torn on whether white celebrities can really make an impactful statement on matters of the black community without seeming neoliberal and fake-progressive.

I feel that but she could at least provide resources as simple as linking the petition. She can get more eyes. I'd rather come off as fake-progressive and performative if it means there actually IS some change being made and action being done rather than just staying absolutely quiet. It's about solidarity and showing you give a f*ck, you feel me? 

Guest Adarsh

She can be helping and donating behind the scenes. Not everything has to be showed off on social media. 

Archived