đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga, Pls Talk About George Floyd

hoeslay

Featured Posts

hoeslay
9 minutes ago, rasclautmangos said:

Plus people will accuse her of clout chasing for album sales. She does NOT need that right now. 

She's a multimillionaire. She HAS clout. She has privilege. If she were one day "exposed" for something and cancelled on Twitter - she'd still have wealth and I'm sure still plenty of fans and support for the rest of her life. Not a really strong argument or point imo. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ArtpopAct2

Going by her tweets a couple years ago, this is one branch of activism she really didn’t quite grasp yet. It’s not something that can be solved by simply “kindness” that she has made her message. There’s also the fact that she is a white woman so she can’t really pretended to understand the pain and fear the black community feels, so it may come off as disingenuous.

However, her tweets did seem to imply she wants to learn more about the issue and help fight it. And I know her heart is definitely in the right place, she’s been the strongest activist in pop music since her debut and cares so much about everyone. once she figures out how to speak out with respect to the black community in a way that acknowledges her status as a white woman, she will. 

hardcore1996
7 minutes ago, hoeslay said:

SILENCE MURDERS. THERE IS NO HELP IN BEING SILENT AND LOW KEY ABOUT THIS. 

i agree 100% now is not the time for silence but the black community is hurting right now. Its not the time for silence its the time for POC to have the stage and share their feelings and their experiences. Im sure Gaga has a lot of sadness about this but it is not the time for someone who in this moment is in the upper echelon of privilege, and also has an album coming out tomorrow to domineer the conversation even if thats not her intentions. It wont be taken well by the majority of people who are actually affected by this. She’ll say something soon in some way but now is not the time

Ziggy
2 minutes ago, hoeslay said:

I feel this! Yeah and I thought the same about making this thread but also I've seen the anti-blackness within the LGBT community (a large portion of her fanbase) so often and I figured the VERY BARE MINIMUM I can do as an ally is to spread awareness and hope I can do my part. I'm not black. So if anyone on here wants to check me, by all means please do so! I just think it's important to be vocal and if you're not mad about this whole situation....that's kinda f*cked. 

And I TOTALLY see where your heart is. I don’t think anyone would accuse you of acting out of bad intentions :) things are just v complicated, but all the better to have a discussion about it!

hoeslay
1 minute ago, Ziggy said:

And I TOTALLY see where your heart is. I don’t think anyone would accuse you of acting out of bad intentions :) things are just v complicated, but all the better to have a discussion about it!

yes absolutely!! 

Miel
1 minute ago, Dayman said:

It's a shame. Even when she gets dragged for doing whats right she tries to appease those who come for her and ask "how" she can do better - and then she gets told she can do better by not talking about it at all. It's so disheartening. I think that's a big reason why she avoids social media and sticks to more broadly aimed kindness messages - because anything else will be torn apart. I think it just goes to show even when we are all on the same side and trying to fight for the same things there is still a huge division for some reason no matter the issue and that's what makes fighting these fights so difficult.

Totally.

Like yeah, are there nuances and issues of privilege even when we're on the "same side"? Of course because unfortunately we live in a society that is systematically structured as a hierarchy. But I don't think a lot of social media interactions, especially of a larger scale, is conducive in crafting a critical discussion around this. Thus, incendiary reactions (sometimes rightful and valid, sometimes not) become the norm.

Regarding Gaga, she is as smart as she is kind and generous. She's made known that she is aware of the privileges that she holds, and I think has learned to navigate that clearly, honestly, and earnestly. She's a very good embodiment of "actions speak louder than words", even if her words still make a big impact.

However this ends up going, I hope she makes the right decision by

1) making some sort of statement regarding it

2) not letting internet trolls bother her statements and beliefs

3) keeping an open and receptive mind to communities impacted by this (as we all should be doing!)

3 points in and ready for more

hoeslay

Y'all are genuinely funny making excuses for a massively rich grown privileged person just saying. 

YourCureness

I feel like if she's looking tor the right timing? Saying something about it now, people might drag her for using it to promote Chromatica.

That's just my take on it anyway. I do hope she says something though

Miel
2 minutes ago, ARTPOPAct2 said:

Going by her tweets a couple years ago, this is one branch of activism she really didn’t quite grasp yet. It’s not something that can be solved by simply “kindness” that she has made her message. There’s also the fact that she is a white woman so she can’t really pretended to understand the pain and fear the black community feels, so it may come off as disingenuous.

However, her tweets did seem to imply she wants to learn more about the issue and help fight it. And I know her heart is definitely in the right place, she’s been the strongest activist in pop music since her debut and cares so much about everyone. once she figures out how to speak out with respect to the black community in a way that acknowledges her status as a white woman, she will. 

Absolutely. I think, in bits and pieces in the last few years, I would say it's apparent that she has a better understanding of social dynamics than ever before.

Does that mean that she knows how to navigate that yet? Obviously, we can't say just yet, but I have faith that she does, or at least is on her way towards such.

She understands the importance of highlighting other people's voices and narrative, that's for sure.

Miel
Just now, LadyInsecto said:

Now we cancel people for things they DIDN'T do. Ok.

In a manner of speaking, silence can be seen as complacency.

hoeslay
1 minute ago, LadyInsecto said:

Now we cancel people for things they DIDN'T do. Ok.

Not cancelling her. Like I said, I feel like she probably will bring it up. This is just me trying to bring some awareness and make sure we're all thinking critically. 

Dayman
1 minute ago, Miel said:

Totally.

Like yeah, are there nuances and issues of privilege even when we're on the "same side"? Of course because unfortunately we live in a society that is systematically structured as a hierarchy. But I don't think a lot of social media interactions, especially of a larger scale, is conducive in crafting a critical discussion around this. Thus, incendiary reactions (sometimes rightful and valid, sometimes not) become the norm.

Regarding Gaga, she is as smart as she is kind and generous. She's made known that she is aware of the privileges that she holds, and I think has learned to navigate that clearly, honestly, and earnestly. She's a very good embodiment of "actions speak louder than words", even if her words still make a big impact.

However this ends up going, I hope she makes the right decision by

1) making some sort of statement regarding it

2) not letting internet trolls bother her statements and beliefs

3) keeping an open and receptive mind to communities impacted by this (as we all should be doing!)

I think it's more likely she will stay quiet right now. It always blows up in her face when she tries saying a specific message. I won't be surprised if she goes about it in a more "silent" way - or just at most does some retweets as a means to navigate it while still having it obvious where and what she stands for.

Seeka

Can we keep our expectations of people to zero? We just end up making ourselves angry and disappointed over a thing we have no control over. Another person. 

While yes, it would be nice if her to speak up on the matter, she is under no obligation to do so. 

She has done a lot for plenty of communities. I think it's okay if she's not always doing everything. 

Plus, I kind of hate this idea that we have to do everything out loud. She could be doing what she can. She may also believe that, while she has a platform, it's not her place, or her platform is made for this. 

Cameltoe Chariot

This thread is insane.

Black folks are being murdered by the forces meant to protect American citizens, riots are breaking out and the American President is tweeting about how he and his party want to control what can be put on social media, but your concern is having your fave tweet about George Floyd?

Do you think his family gives a **** what Gaga thinks about this?

Are you going to sleep better if she acknowledges it? Will your ego get a nice stroke knowing that your fave is the right level of observable woke?

Grow up, get off GagaDaily and pay more attention to your government and who’s in charge, rather than focusing on what social issues celebrities talk about and support. Because it’s elected officials and the people that work for them that are doing the killing.

Archived