💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Someone please explain Babylon to me

Lighter

Featured Posts

Chromatica Island
2 minutes ago, Jose P said:

It seems more like a ballroom voguing song. I can picture drag queens voguing the house down with it.

I know I will be, it's going to be a blast to dance to!

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

gumzy3000

Babylon is one of the oldest cities on Earth. Maybe in the end of Chromatica, Gaga comes to Earth from all the united tribes of Chromatica and she and her tribes are the builders of Babylon and they lose there technology overtime because they gossip and fight with one another and then they get broken up and divided.

Also, Babylon is known for a fabled tower that was created by its inhabitants to reach God but then God did not like this so he dispersed the people around the Earth and made them all speak a different languages. It's in the Bible if anyone cares. Gaga is one smart lady because I think she has thought all of this.

It is a bit bizarre she put Babylon in the end of Chromatica to be honest. Based on what we heard, it just does not sound like an album closer. Its a great track but I do wonder how she will tie it all together in the end with the rest of the album. 

trolly troll troll

River

It's a reference to the book Internet Babylon

718rIFE7ymL.jpg

There's a whole chapter called Gossip Babylon

Je ne parle pas français but I can padam if you like

Morphine Prince
7 minutes ago, gumzy3000 said:

Also, Babylon is known for a fabled tower that was created by its inhabitants to reach God but then God did not like this so he dispersed the people around the Earth and made them all speak a different languages. It's in the Bible if anyone cares. Gaga is one smart lady because I think she has thought all of this.

Also:

"In the Hebrew Bible, the name appears as Babel (Hebrew: בָּבֶל‎ Bavel, Tib. בָּבֶל Bāḇel; Classical Syriac: ܒܒܠ‎ Bāwēl, Aramaic: בבל‎ Babel; in Arabic: بَابِل‎ Bābil), interpreted in the Book of Genesis to mean "confusion", from the verb bilbél (בלבל, "to confuse"). The modern English verb, to babble ("to speak meaningless words"), is popularly thought to derive from this name, but there is no direct connection." 

@calmar care to confirm? I found this on Wikipedia reading about Babylon. 

Damon

I really love how ball gay-esque this song is :giveup: didn't even ehate the whole thing yet and it's already my favorite

... and now i just sit in silence.

ice bear

In case no one answered which i doubt but i just love writing anyways;

Babylon is used as a synonym for "confusion" especially by religious leaders.

The reason is it being connected to the legend of the Tower of Babel, from the bible, where the babylonians wanted to build a tower so high it could reach heaven, and they'd defy god then.

God was mad at it, and as a response he made all of the people working in the tower "speak in tongues" (that's the origin of the term) so no one could understand one another, and the tower project fell apart.

This tale also mentions that the people speaking different languages wandered from Babylon and after reaching distant lands, became the first of the lineage of people who were from other ethnicities/spoke different languages

It has been associated with internet culture countless times, and that's where Gaga draws inspiration from; how she was affected by the internet's moshpit in the past but she's come to realize in the end of the day it's just gossip and they don't know her like she knows herself

ice heard one side from above

calmar
7 hours ago, Morphine Prince said:

Also:

"In the Hebrew Bible, the name appears as Babel (Hebrew: בָּבֶל‎ Bavel, Tib. בָּבֶל Bāḇel; Classical Syriac: ܒܒܠ‎ Bāwēl, Aramaic: בבל‎ Babel; in Arabic: بَابِل‎ Bābil), interpreted in the Book of Genesis to mean "confusion", from the verb bilbél (בלבל, "to confuse"). The modern English verb, to babble ("to speak meaningless words"), is popularly thought to derive from this name, but there is no direct connection." 

@calmar care to confirm? I found this on Wikipedia reading about Babylon. 

I mean I don't speak biblical hebrew b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶, so it's possible, but there are other explanations:

- There was a Proto-Germanic verb *babalōną which is the most direct source of our verb 'babble'.  
- The word 'Babylon', referring to the ancient city, may be a borrowing through Ancient Greek of the Akkadian phrase bab 'ili 'gate of god' (a language related to Arabic; cf.  Arabic باب إِلٰهِ  bāb 'ilāhi). This Akkadian phrase would be a calque (word-for-word literal translation) of the original Sumerian name 𒆍𒀭𒊏𒆠 (transcribed conventionally as KA2.DINGIR.RA).

俺の勝利は揺るぎない

Archived