💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
music news

Daisies: #40 on Hot 100

AMENiCURE

Featured Posts

JustJames
6 minutes ago, KORG said:

I have no idea why she didn't release an acoustic guitar driven album to solve all her problems. Or even going back to very sassy pop-rock like OOTB. Instead she found discount DrLuke knockoff tracks that didn't work for witness... and now this.

It's salvageable, but not without work.

Honest question- do you think OOTB style of music is something that Katy could authentically pull of as a 36-year old mother who has abandoned that style for the majority of her career? Like, Gaga's passion for playing instruments and her vocals, etc., were always integrated into her music, so Joanne was a natural progression. Returning to a OOTB sound for Katy would come off, to me, as grasping at *something* from her music arsenal to stick rather than it being a 'return to her roots.' OOTB worked because she was in her early 20s and brought a blend of humor, wit, and rock into pop songs >> all of her singles from that era would be cringey as heck now (not saying you're saying to release carbon copies lol) and I just don't know that OOTB is "Katy" enough at its core to be perceived beyond the marketing intent of it (because Joanne, of course, was absolutely a marketing move... but it was a fit). 

And, to clarify, by "36-year old mother" I simply mean that it would feel inauthentic since it seems we are trying to think of a style that would give the GP an impression of a more relatable and organic approach. In that way, the NRO/Daisies *style* was probably close to being on the mark -- but, the confusion on whether last year's singles were leading to KP5, and other blunders ruined that.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alladin Sane
46 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

My prediction was #11-#15. I genuinely feel bad for her. It may be top 40, it may have been her first single to chart since Small Talk, it may have been her best charting single since NRO but it shouldn't have been this way. Someone who has her big singles, views and subscribers should not be lucky to chart in top 40 with their lead single.

This! People need to understand that reach top 40 is good for a lot of artists but is bad for Katy. She is one of the biggest artists of pop music, has a huge number of followers on social media, did a lot of promo and this is her LEAD single after all.

KORG
7 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Honest question- do you think OOTB style of music is something that Katy could authentically pull of as a 36-year old mother who has abandoned that style for the majority of her career? Like, Gaga's passion for playing instruments and her vocals, etc., were always integrated into her music, so Joanne was a natural progression. Returning to a OOTB sound for Katy would come off, to me, as grasping at *something* from her music arsenal to stick rather than it being a 'return to her roots.' OOTB worked because she was in her early 20s and brought a blend of humor, wit, and rock into pop songs >> all of her singles from that era would be cringey as heck now (not saying you're saying to release carbon copies lol) and I just don't know that OOTB is "Katy" enough at its core to be perceived beyond the marketing intent of it (because Joanne, of course, was absolutely a marketing move... but it was a fit). 

And, to clarify, by "36-year old mother" I simply mean that it would feel inauthentic since it seems we are trying to think of a style that would give the GP an impression of a more relatable and organic approach. In that way, the NRO/Daisies *style* was probably close to being on the mark -- but, the confusion on whether last year's singles were leading to KP5, and other blunders ruined that.

Obvs not carbon copies haha

But yeah, I think some of the sonic elements from OOTB would be a welcome reprieve from her constant same-same pop, without being an energy dip like her current music has been.

Waking up in Vegas is a great point of reference. The lyrics aren't bad, the melody is great, the hook is catchy, the overall sound is actually verging on timeless minus a few bits. It's more adult sounding than TD, Prism or Witness. It's the typical Dr Luke pop-rock music, Kelly Clarkson, Pink etc maintained their general success levels despite not having anything of interest in their music by reverting to this sound.

I wouldn't really peg it as a 'return to her roots' and simply a progression away from bubblegum and admitting she's not 23 anymore without suddenly turning into a middle aged yoga student in a field giving off zen vibes :laughga:

JustJames
1 minute ago, KORG said:

Obvs not carbon copies haha

But yeah, I think some of the sonic elements from OOTB would be a welcome reprieve from her constant same-same pop, without being an energy dip like her current music has been.

Waking up in Vegas is a great point of reference. The lyrics aren't bad, the melody is great, the hook is catchy, the overall sound is actually verging on timeless minus a few bits. It's more adult sounding than TD, Prism or Witness. It's the typical Dr Luke pop-rock music, Kelly Clarkson, Pink etc maintained their general success levels despite not having anything of interest in their music by reverting to this sound.

I wouldn't really peg it as a 'return to her roots' and simply a progression away from bubblegum and admitting she's not 23 anymore without suddenly turning into a middle aged yoga student in a field giving off zen vibes :laughga:

But, Waking Up in Vegas is super reliant on a type of lyricism prevalent on OOTB that was fantastic for its time, but wouldn't work now; she can't sing about kissing girls, her period, or getting smashed in Vegas. PINK was able to go the soft-rock route because her music/image/artistry always had that vibe, while Kelly has the type of vocals - and versatility the world saw on American Idol - to pivot to anything, really. She's also had a massive fall commercially in her last ~2 eras. 

I think she would've been wise to have incorporated some rock-inspired music throughout her career since I think it was a lot more interesting than the pure pop she put out and would've made a jump back to it seem less like a gimmick, I guess. I do think it is only of her only plays left, though, and you may very well be right that it could be pulled off well. :) (and, there isn't anywhere to go but up is there? lol.)

GipJo

After all the promo she was forced to do, a #40-out seems tragic.

But honestly I don't feel bad for her. 3 years after Witness, she has enough time to fix her career if she got the T. Gaga fixee her career with CTC/multiple performances/Joanne, Katy choosed business and hosting instead of music, so she deserves the F she gets, she is always the most overrated big pop stars for a long time, now she is where she belongs.

KORG
1 minute ago, JustJames said:

But, Waking Up in Vegas is super reliant on a type of lyricism prevalent on OOTB that was fantastic for its time, but wouldn't work now; she can't sing about kissing girls, her period, or getting smashed in Vegas. PINK was able to go the soft-rock route because her music/image/artistry always had that vibe, while Kelly has the type of vocals - and versatility the world saw on American Idol - to pivot to anything, really. She's also had a massive fall commercially in her last ~2 eras. 

I think she would've been wise to have incorporated some rock-inspired music throughout her career since I think it was a lot more interesting than the pure pop she put out and would've made a jump back to it seem less like a gimmick, I guess. I do think it is only of her only plays left, though, and you may very well be right that it could be pulled off well. :) (and, there isn't anywhere to go but up is there? lol.)

She can go where she wants to lyrically. If the music connects with people beyond "That's nice. bye". Even coming out with something acoustically driven, like in the vain of someone like Lily Allen or Kate Nash, really down to earth lyrics that jab at people and have a bit of bite. But I honestly think she relied so much on Dr Luke for hits that now she isn't morally allowed to collab with him, she's out on her own and we get to see what she can really do... which apparently isn't much.

PlasticDollGirl

I think cutting all her hair off and dying it platinum really did damage to her career. 

The queen of Gagadaily. Keepin it real

ItWasntLaauv

I actually really like the song, I hope it charts higher soon!! :nick:

Katsuki Bakugo

Congratulations. Top 40 is still relevant. She is putting out music and videos and live performances, albeit cringe vocals as always, and she is hella preggas. When will our favs? 

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Katsuki Bakugo
7 minutes ago, Mill said:

I think cutting all her hair off and dying it platinum really did damage to her career. 

Nah just her ends :billie:

If All You Ever Do Is Look Down On People, You Won't Be Able To Recognize Your Own Weaknesses.

Stephen
3 hours ago, elijahfan said:

That's tough... What happened to her is kinda a mystery, especially when one remembers how easily she climbed up the charts not so long ago :wtfga:

It kinda was long ago :poot:

Chromatican

A top 40 for Katy is not good. A song by someone of her caliber should at least crack the top 20, she was a chart monster up until 2017, I don’t understand how this can be defended.

Sickness

This is so funny to me. Kats dragged SL so hard for a top 5 debut and miss Perry barely made it into the top 40. She's officially over.

200.gif

Mister Gaga

:( i feel bad for her. The song is nice and personal. It deserves success

Archived