Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
press

Chromatica: Reviews Thread

Anveeroy

Featured Posts

LilyLark
On 6/1/2020 at 10:59 AM, Aarghya said:

Okay.. I have noticed the sensation particularly with LMs, that's why I'm confused. 

Kind of disagree. Pitchfork has always had "cred" for music lovers (more so than Slant, etc.)....it was seen as less mainstream than say Rolling Stone but equally worth reading. It's also more indie-oriented than trap/rap/hip hop orientated. Several years ago, they were dragged by multiple mainstream publications for being especially harsh on female artists after they notoriously refused to review Taylor's Swift's 1989 but reviewed an album of covers of 1989. They are better nowadays, but still notoriously harsh graders (Lizzo was upset at their review) and can be unnecessarily snarky towards musicians they view as "mainstream". Also, they rarely give reviews in the 9s...even Lemonade has a score in the 8s...so fans should be fine with a score in the 7s for Chromatica imo.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LilyLark
3 hours ago, gumzy3000 said:

I wish, but Joanne had 27 reviews, ARTPOP 30, and BTW 34 :selena:

Most of the albums on Metacritic have just under 30 reviews nowadays (I checked), but FN only had 19 reviews...so maybe it will stay the same? TBH I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up at like...79 tho...because she seems to be getting nearly all 4/5 stars (which average out at around 80) but NYT is probably not going to give her that high of a score.

Gagaism

Just a point of view (I TOTALLY SUPPORT THE PEACEFUL PROTESTS), but maybe this gap will help on holding positive rates on next reviews we still have to come, since they’ll have more time to digest and appreciate the album. 

Lord Temptation
6 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Most of the albums on Metacritic have just under 30 reviews nowadays (I checked), but FN only had 19 reviews...so maybe it will stay the same? TBH I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up at like...79 tho...because she seems to be getting nearly all 4/5 stars (which average out at around 80) but NYT is probably not going to give her that high of a score.

There should be a minimum threshold for number of reviews before they get a MC composite score, like at least 20 or something. 

buzzkill
18 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

Kind of disagree. Pitchfork has always had "cred" for music lovers (more so than Slant, etc.)....it was seen as less mainstream than say Rolling Stone but equally worth reading. It's also more indie-oriented than trap/rap/hip hop orientated. Several years ago, they were dragged by multiple mainstream publications for being especially harsh on female artists after they notoriously refused to review Taylor's Swift's 1989 but reviewed an album of covers of 1989. They are better nowadays, but still notoriously harsh graders (Lizzo was upset at their review) and can be unnecessarily snarky towards musicians they view as "mainstream". Also, they rarely give reviews in the 9s...even Lemonade has a score in the 8s...so fans should be fine with a score in the 7s for Chromatica imo.

You can say in the past, but now they seem really urban/hip hop/rap oriented... look at all the last best new music/tracks.

buzzkill
16 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

They already reviewed and it didnt count.

I think we can expect All Music’s review on Thursday 

that was the time they took to publish FN’s review for example

Anveeroy
6 hours ago, jesse g said:

But there wasnt a civil war happening tho :sis:

I didn't say we are expecting 26..

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

Anveeroy

One of 2020’s other best pop records, Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia, plays with the same references, but the results are day and night. Future Nostalgia is blueprint pop: a polished, sugary package that will be ripped off for years to come. Chromatica, on the other hand, is quietly bizarre, botched with snagging lines, orchestral interludes and short-lived circuit breakdowns. Take ‘Alice’, the album’s first non-interlude track.

https://junkee.com/chromatica-lady-gaga-review/255890

Anveeroy

It’s Gaga at her most physically vulnerable yet emotionally tough on the album. Despite the constant electronic noise through the record, it is a record of vulnerability. Similar to Gaga’s 2013 album "ARTPOP," she takes her own emotional and physical pain (she was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, which takes her mental stress and turns it to physical pain) and channels it into something bright and energetic. While "ARTPOP" was darker in tone, "Chromatica" still has some hope for the future to come. It’s a solid album that has its moments of blurring into pounding dance-pop, losing Gaga into the shuffle. However, when she does let her voice and words shine through, she explodes with emotion and light that could take the listener on a much needed Neo-Tokyo cyberpunk motorcycle ride.

http://www.kentwired.com/article_c36278b0-a4fc-11ea-b480-cff76b00af54.html

Modern Xtacy
19 minutes ago, Aarghya said:

One of 2020’s other best pop records, Dua Lipa’s Future Nostalgia, plays with the same references, but the results are day and night. Future Nostalgia is blueprint pop: a polished, sugary package that will be ripped off for years to come. Chromatica, on the other hand, is quietly bizarre, botched with snagging lines, orchestral interludes and short-lived circuit breakdowns. Take ‘Alice’, the album’s first non-interlude track.

https://junkee.com/chromatica-lady-gaga-review/255890

I could be wrong but doesn’t future nostalgia take influence from the 70s and disco while Chromatica takes it from house music and the 90s which would mean they don’t use the same references 

• Jase unpinned this topic

Archived