more on the 80's side of it :sis:

Yaaas.

Our ms Gaga deserves all the acclaim this era including her meta score

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
buzzkill
2 minutes ago, metalguru said:

Let's see... Pitchfork is now under Conde-Nast and Conde-Nast loves Gaga.... Also, she is hanging out with "cool kids" (Grimes, Rina etc.) so PF might be like "okay here is your 80." I think they will also give a good rating simply because they did dirt to Gaga for so many years... There is no need to "hate" Gaga anymore. 

idk... i hope you are right tho :sis:

Anveeroy

I haven't slept all day.. Phew :ladyhaha:

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

Fanta
2 hours ago, Emigrante said:

It will probably stabilize around 75 at the lowest I think. But would be awesome for her to snatch 80. If Dua Lipa and The Weeknd can, why wouldn't Gaga? 

Girl...don't get me started on the faux celebration of Dua's basic ass album. She had a few good songs here and there but that was it. I was shocked at all the praise when I saw it.

Also, Abel is another overrated male artist. He had some great songs, sure, but I think male artists always get a pass because not much is expected from them. I think the issue isn't the music, I think the issue is Gaga for many of these critics. They like to nitpick anything, and I'm just trying to decipher whether it's genuine bias or clickbait. That NY description bringing up Madonna and KP (of all people) seemed like clickbait more than anything. They're throwing anything that sticks to get a reaction.

rasclautmangos
26 minutes ago, KORG said:

Love that Buzzfeed review skating Sine from above as uninspired :laughga::bye: how can you be deaf and review music?

Who even does music reviews for buzzfeed? If they are anything like those people writing the "articles" or making videos :awkney:

ProfessionalClown
2 minutes ago, Fanta said:

Girl...don't get me started on the faux celebration of Dua's basic ass album. She had a few good songs here and there but that was it. I was shocked at all the praise when I saw it.

Also, Abel is another overrated male artist. He had some great songs, sure, but I think male artists always get a pass because not much is expected from them. I think the issue isn't the music, I think the issue is Gaga for many of these critics. They like to nitpick anything, and I'm just trying to decipher whether it's genuine bias or clickbait. That NY description bringing up Madonna and KP (of all people) seemed like clickbait more than anything. They're throwing anything that sticks to get a reaction.

The one male artist/group who keeps getting snubbed is Bon Iver IMO. Justin Vernon is just....his mind is literally just something else.

Chromatican
1 hour ago, Fanta said:

Honestly you kinda spilled tea. Almost half of Future Nostalgia is forgettable, to think it’s rated higher than The Fame Monster is just...an injustice. Critic bandwagoning is so transparent. FN is a 70/100 to me.

xoxo jay

3 stars (60) from the Financial Times, but with a relatively positive write up:

Lady Gaga: the outrageous persona turns real in her new album Chromatica (pay wall) - https://www.ft.com/content/e48a0faa-a1a8-11ea-b65d-489c67b0d85d?shareType=nongift via @FT

An extract:

'Her earlier songs balanced positive messages of inclusion with antic stagecraft and song-writing. Out of such contrasting forces are the best pop stars made. Over time, however, her out­rageous persona has become fleshed out by autobiography, a logical process in her growth as a performer. The “healing” on her new album refers to various severe challenges that she has revealed herself as having faced, including mental illness, sexual assault and a painfully debilitating physical condition, fibromyalgia. Next to such details, it has become harder for her to keep alive her sense of the ridiculous.'

'The cabaret-like Gaga of old isn’t entirely absent. “Plastic Doll” finds her taking the role of a Barbie-style figurine, complete with poker-faced refrain of “I’m no toy for a real boy”. “Babylon” is a Madonna-inspired vogue through ancient civilisation. But other songs are neutralised by positive-thinking clichés (“Free Woman”, “1000 Doves”). They make the album’s most emotive moment stand out all the more — “Sine from Above”, a hands-in-the-air dance music duet with Elton John about companionship, which manages to be at once implausible and touching.'

Anveeroy
4 minutes ago, xoxo jay said:

3 stars (60) from the Financial Times

Oh no.. 

Stream Kylie-Janet Discographies!

LilyLark
4 hours ago, Fanta said:

IMO Abel deserves the cred, but I agree that some critics are just harsher on particular female artists. Lana (I still think she overreacted to that one critic and her recent thing was...not good) basically got unfairly roasted until NFR, Rihanna's never gotten her true due, and even Adele's never had an album break 80.

I know it sounds "stan like" to be "they aren't fair" but some critics truly are not. For example, I don't even remember which review it was but it said something like "Chromatica is reminiscent of the lightness of Dua's album which was so enjoyable, but from Gaga more should be expected."

hankhatesyouall
8 minutes ago, xoxo jay said:

3 stars (60) from the Financial Times, but with a relatively positive write up:

Lady Gaga: the outrageous persona turns real in her new album Chromatica (pay wall) - https://www.ft.com/content/e48a0faa-a1a8-11ea-b65d-489c67b0d85d?shareType=nongift via @FT

An extract:

'Her earlier songs balanced positive messages of inclusion with antic stagecraft and song-writing. Out of such contrasting forces are the best pop stars made. Over time, however, her out­rageous persona has become fleshed out by autobiography, a logical process in her growth as a performer. The “healing” on her new album refers to various severe challenges that she has revealed herself as having faced, including mental illness, sexual assault and a painfully debilitating physical condition, fibromyalgia. Next to such details, it has become harder for her to keep alive her sense of the ridiculous.'

'The cabaret-like Gaga of old isn’t entirely absent. “Plastic Doll” finds her taking the role of a Barbie-style figurine, complete with poker-faced refrain of “I’m no toy for a real boy”. “Babylon” is a Madonna-inspired vogue through ancient civilisation. But other songs are neutralised by positive-thinking clichés (“Free Woman”, “1000 Doves”). They make the album’s most emotive moment stand out all the more — “Sine from Above”, a hands-in-the-air dance music duet with Elton John about companionship, which manages to be at once implausible and touching.'

It doesn't count. 

LilyLark
3 minutes ago, hankhatesyouall said:

It doesn't count. 

TBH it's a weird review. So her personal troubles she's discussed in interviews mean the reviewer thinks it takes away from the over the top nature of her songs? Like if that's the metric, than I guess she can't do any house or most dance type songs? Also, some of the subject matters in Chromatica are serious.

TLDR: It sounds like he expects her to create Lorde esque music based on her personal life.

xoxo jay
5 minutes ago, hankhatesyouall said:

It doesn't count. 

Ah, it did during ASIB. I guess we won!

3 minutes ago, LilyLark said:

TBH it's a weird review. So her personal troubles she's discussed in interviews mean the reviewer thinks it takes away from the over the top nature of her songs? Like if that's the metric, than I guess she can't do any house or most dance type songs? Also, some of the subject matters in Chromatica are serious.

TLDR: It sounds like he expects her to create Lorde esque music based on her personal life.

I think it's quite an intelligent observation, and why Sine from Above is so amazing: 'at once implausable and touching'

LilyLark
5 hours ago, BladeRunner said:

C*r*manica literally hates her. I don't know if he'll do another review, maybe not. But well, what can we do... 

I blocked his name lol since I don't want stans harassing him, but he's...weird. He basically wrote the nastiest take down of Lana back in the day and said she be a one hit wonder, has criticized Gag's vocals (one of the only critics I've ever seen go after her vocals) & dragged Rihanna while acting like Taylor Swift reinvented the wheel (and I like Taylor, but come on).

I hate saying it because it sounds so "stan like" but some critics seem to let their personal dislike of a singer/their music impact what should be an objective review. That said, NYT tends to be harsh but he's the only one who is downright unreasonable so as long as he's not the reviewer it shouldn't be that bad. At the very worst (if he's not the reviewer) a 50...probably a 60 tho.

LilyLark
3 minutes ago, xoxo jay said:

Ah, it did during ASIB. I guess we won!

I think it's quite an intelligent observation, and why Sine from Above is so amazing: 'at once implausable and touching'

Really? I think it's an interesting comment on Sine From Above, but he seems to be implying a singer's personal life should be viewed in context with an album as a whole (not just a particular song) and even the type of genre of music. In some cases it makes sense (some albums are deeply personal) but I wouldn't hold all albums to that standard (e.g. Chromatica, 25, ANTI). Also, I rarely see male musicians discussed in the same manner.

• Jase unpinned this topic

Archived