💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Do you think we will start seeing Gaga being subjected to ageism?

vixdean

Featured Posts

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
raragaga
1 minute ago, vixdean said:

That kind of discourse is just meant to diminish her. It's infuriating.

When, for example, FourFiveSeconds came out with Paul McCartney, Kanye West, Rihana, was there anyone claiming that McCartney  was "riding the coattails of the young" to get a hit? Absolutely not, because he is male. If a woman does it, well, she is desperate for a hit. :noparty:

100%

sexism at its finest

xoxo

vixdean
9 minutes ago, PussPuss said:

By talent I mean vocal ability/musicianship. She is talented in other areas. 

Oh yes, in terms of vocals, I completely see what you mean. Madonna never pretended to be powerhouse vocalist, and she even said it herself during Blond Ambition. She might underperform in that area, but she overperforms in others, as you say.

With relation to ageism, I think it's a really difficult line for women in the public eye to navigate through.

For Gaga, the safest option would be to just focus on doing classics, ballads, jazz, and that way she would 'age gracefully.' But if when she gets to 40 or over, and she still wants to do dance music and pop, why shouldn't she be able to without being a target of ageism? You see what I mean. Anyway, society sucks is the ultimate conclusion.

How is 35 even old ? thats just beyond ridiculous. So what if she's not "acting her age" she's just having fun, after all thats what life is about. I think Gaga will be different though, she's toned things down a lot in terms of her image/music i think i can see her going in the way that Cher did. Whats natural to her.

SCHEISSEMONTRE

Of course. If Cher, Janet, and Madonna went through it, then Gaga would along with every other pop girl 

Mychal

rasclautmangos

I think she's fine for now because she still looks young and most people have no idea how old Gaga is. Internet haters don't represent the general public.

There are certain people who will hate Gaga for breathing the wrong way. It is what it is.

J Lo didn't even start her singing career until she was 30 and has been doing "young" music and performances, she's been just fine. Shakira is older and is doing great as well.

Magui
14 minutes ago, SCHEISSEMONTRE said:

Of course. If Cher, Janet, and Madonna went through it, then Gaga would along with every other pop girl . 

Unfortunately I think that's very probable. Could be more or less " heavy" I guess.

Or unless media, society change. 

gagasicebath

Sadly yes. She’s a woman in an industry still hugely dominated by male executives always looking for the next “young” talent.

She’s also a woman in a world that places so much value on youth and youthful beauty that to be a woman who is no longer considered in the prime of youth is made to feel insignificant.

I am not a spring chicken and it astounded me when I got into my 30s the amount of blatant “how to look 10 years younger”, “make-up to take 10 years off you” articles and the like are out there. You really don’t notice them until suddenly they’re targeting you and they make you start to question yourself and whether you really are too old...

Gaga is talented, passionate, creative and authentic, and like every other woman (I say woman because this sh!t is never directed at men), should never have to deal with the “she’s too old to behave like that/dress that way” bullish!t, yet unfortunately she will. I’m hopeful she will carry on doing what she wants to do until whenever the hell she wants to do it and not give a single crap about the “act your age” brigade.

Eek, I went off a bit...

Ziggy

Absolutely, but I think Beyoncé has given a roadmap to navigate it (so far). She’s just very open and candid about it and the changes that she brings you as a person. I think the ageism only really hits when you start acting against yourself and doing things you aren’t in the headspace for. For instance, Celine Dion can pull off her wacky fashions because it is very much her, but if she looked uncomfortable or like she was chasing something then I think the comments would rain down. They’ll still be there (look at Cher; older people give her s*** all the time for dressing as she does and her surgeries), but I think if you’re true to yourself people can read that authenticity and respond well.

Heck, Björk is in her 50s and still DJs and makes electronic music. It’s all about following where your comforts are and not pandering. That’s what people read most.

cjdamien

I’m three years older than Gaga. Please don’t make me feel like I’m in my 50’s by comparing her to Madonna. I feel like the ageist stuff with Madonna started much later in her career. Let me have my 30’s before I start freaking out about age haha. But yeah, we will probably see a bunch of this cuz it’s clickbait and people can be garbage. 

I think she will be, and there will also be tons of people who say she looks great for her age. Piers Morgan will always be judgmental and a sexist. I don't think Gaga would give him the time of day

JazzGa

She already is, the radio won't play music made by women over age 25. :shrug:  Thanks to C2C, the Sound of Music tribute, and ASIB, Gaga is insulated against ageism more than your average popstar, because she has gathered true fans of all ages, and not just fairweather chart fans :party: But the highest echelons of success are still gatekept by hometown male radio DJs, label execs, Billboard rule-makers, and streaming app algorithm programmers, etc, who are by and large ageist str8 men :shrug:

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

Archived