Lana explains herself

Varys

Featured Posts

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Skabi
38 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

I don't like generalization like this. Music is as personal as religion. Not everyone will find it uplifting to listen to a song about shaking your ass or having sex, and some will find it more uplifting to listen to The Greatest or Beautiful people Beautiful problems amongst many other topics she tackles in her songs. Everyone acts like Lana's discography can be summed up by an old hollywood vibe with sugar daddy references & glorifying abuse and toxic rships with a glamorous "cover-up". There's nothing groundbreaking about women speaking about their bodies in a sexual manner, when they've been sexualised for centuries by men, to take back that sexuality into their own hands, sure you can say it's "uplifting" for some, but for some others it could be interpreted as "degrading" just like some can find Lana's songs degrading and a shame for feminism movement. This was her whole point, that any form of expression in art and music is valid & should be accepted from women. But you believe otherwise I guess

it cant be groundbreaking? yeah man sexualized women for ages about their bodies and now women are coming out singing about knowing that they are sexy, that they are beautiful ans succesful. it IS groundbreaking. have you seen how man react when they compliment women and the women respond with something like "thank you! i know im beautiful!" they start degrading them and acting as if they did a favor to even compliment these women. this movement IS groundbreaking, it IS owning your sexuality.

im not referring to certain people im referring to a majority of people. im talking about the fat people who've been shamed all their lives, black people, people with low self esteem. you'd be surprised to see how these people mood changes with songs about "shaking your butt" or "having a juicy 🐱" . of course some people will find shelter in lana's music but for many (including even my self) her early visuals and music and act as a trigger.

lana's music cannot be summed up in an old hollywood vintage film with some black and white effect, a sugar daddy and a lolita. hear early music though can, there's no denying that.

45 minutes ago, KORG said:

Glorification of abusive behaviour is not art. 

For example: it's considered art when a photographer takes beautiful pictures of a person. Is it also considered art if the subject of the pictures didnt want the photographs to be taken?

Art is pretend, it's about portraying a feeling or provoking thought, it's not about the glorification of something that kills thousands every week. Where is the line? Is her next album going to be about how much she likes to contract AIDS from her lover or is that too far?

I'm clearly exaggerating but she cannot expect to create this narrative and not face the consequences.

There should not be morality or restrictions when it comes to art. We are all sick in a way and art is a way to vomit all that into something beautiful even if its dark. Some people deal with their sick thoughts by positivity, and some deal with it by going deep into their darnkess. Lana is not glorafying abuse, she is a sick human being like all of us and its a beautiful thing that shes expressing it in her art without inserting morality into it. Lana knows these feelings are wrong but she has them and must live with it every single day of her life, its only normal to express it as a true artist.

freebit

I don't think she understands that you don't have to be burning crosses to perpetuate racism or racist views. She reminds me of many white liberals who are actually very centrist, and think they're more progressive than they are, and thus refuse to re-examine their ways of thinking. 

tifffany

She says that it’s not about race yet in the same breath she compares herself yet AGAIN to a woman of color. Can she check her privilege.

Honestly since I heard that petty jealous song she made about Gaga I haven’t looked at her the same :/

KORG
30 minutes ago, Faysalaaa said:

There should not be morality or restrictions when it comes to art. We are all sick in a way and art is a way to vomit all that into something beautiful even if its dark. Some people deal with their sick thoughts by positivity, and some deal with it by going deep into their darnkess. Lana is not glorafying abuse, she is a sick human being like all of us and its a beautiful thing that shes expressing it in her art without inserting morality into it. Lana knows these feelings are wrong but she has them and must live with it every single day of her life, its only normal to express it as a true artist.

At no point in her music does it get expressed as wrong. 

A good example of this being expressed and how sick it is, on a much more commercial pop level is Bad Romance. It's about all the psycho weird stuff she likes, which is obviously quite negative - however, the chorus expresses that she is caught and that it is a bad romance, which fully explains the situation and completes the painting. 

What Lana does with her music is she will express these awful things and then... that's it. There is no response to that part of her writing. That's not giving us the 'why' in her story, it's not giving us the light and shade. It's all shade and it's making it seem like the beauty isn't "warts and all" but just warts on their own.

holy scheisse
1 hour ago, KORG said:

I understood her intent completely, but the fact is that she DOES use sex abuse as a narrative.

There is a difference between saying "I love the way you use me" and "I love you but you use me". 

Other than the song Ultraviolence, where?

15 hours ago, KORG said:

At no point in her music does it get expressed as wrong. 

A good example of this being expressed and how sick it is, on a much more commercial pop level is Bad Romance. It's about all the psycho weird stuff she likes, which is obviously quite negative - however, the chorus expresses that she is caught and that it is a bad romance, which fully explains the situation and completes the painting. 

What Lana does with her music is she will express these awful things and then... that's it. There is no response to that part of her writing. That's not giving us the 'why' in her story, it's not giving us the light and shade. It's all shade and it's making it seem like the beauty isn't "warts and all" but just warts on their own.

Art is a way to express your emotions, sadness, and darnkess. Its not required to put a positive twist into it. Peoples job is to feel your pain and maybe relate, but never to follow you or make you a role model.

Maybe Lana did not see the light at the end of the tunnel yet and is still living this dark emotions? She should not feel pressured to add a positive twist to her honest emotions if she does not feel positive. Lady Gaga feels like shes a strong woman in a battlefield and no matter what, she will always dance through her pain. Lana on the other hand does not feel this way at all, why would she sing it?

Here is a song Gaga sang but did not release because people like you will criticize her:

RAMROD

This getting beyond cringe.

Besides, can't she just make her point across with out name dropping anybody, lest WOC? 

giphy.gif

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ✧*:・゚ be delulu until it becomes trululu (*´艸`*) ♡♡♡

gumzy3000

She was never talking about race, more about her place in the industry as a woman who sings about the ugly sides of relationships. She is made out to look like the bad girl because she supposedly glamorizes abuse while other pop artists, with huge chart success, have songs gobbled by the public that are equally as troubling and can be seen as "bad for woman and feminism". 

It was never about race. Attacking or cancelling her is the easy way out, she has a legit concern about herself as a woman in the toxic music industry. Art imitates life and vice versa. Is there a place in feminism and pop culture for submissive and soft woman like her? I am unsure

trolly troll troll

Ziggy

Siri, play DiggingMyGrave.mp3

heres the thing: her saying that women cannot express fragility in music is absolutely not true. She might mean in pop, sure, but RnB, country, etc. other genres show it all the time. Heck, Lucky by Britney Spears is pretty damn vulnerable and fragile and sad. I don’t actually think she’s fully aware of what her criticisms are. They aren’t about her so-called “fragility”, they’ve been about how people think she’s fake and it’s all a farce (something else to unpack entirely  and warrants some feminist observation). The issue of her bringing up mostly POC isn’t that she mentioned them. So what? It’s that by specifically mentioning mostly POC and saying they’ve had successes she hasn’t, she is deliberately or inadvertently underplaying or denying their own struggles as POC. THAT is the problem. She isn’t reading her privilege here and seems oblivious to it even now. She really believes that she paved the way for all of these people which is just patently false and drastically overplays her impact on the industry and culture. For instance, Bey has been on the fragile, woman-stays-with-a-bad-dude-so-she-must-take-care-of-herself-and-find-inner-strength ish since DC. The point is that it doesn’t matter whether or not she sees it as about race when her statement directly underplays race as a component in the lives of women. She’s saying all womxn are the same and the struggle is universal. Everyone is saying, no, race is a *critical* component of a womxn’s identity and cannot be denied here.

Lana isn’t Satan, she’s just tone deaf and makes it worse by not understanding why people are annoyed with her.

littlepotter
2 hours ago, Fanta said:

I love her, I defended her, but is she drunk? Serious question.

And what if she is? We know she struggled with alcohol abuse

chaeri pls

littlepotter

She made several points when she bashed hyper liberalism. This is absolutely ridiculous. She tries to say her point and everyone tells her to shut up. I truly get more repulsed with the fake woke culture every day.

Love you Lana and can't wait for the new record.

chaeri pls

Archived