💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Epigenetic-Ga

GerMonsterNotta

Featured Posts

GerMonsterNotta
1 minute ago, LilyLark said:

TBH found it a bit cringey. Also thought for a hot second that some dumb person would confuse epigenetics with Nazi eugenics and think the former was the latter.

It absolutely convinced me she was sort of into Marianne Williamson (lol), because she talks about epigenetics. To be fair, Marianne has a lot of people who love her and you don't have to like everything she does but a while back she used to be a semi anti-vaxxer (she denies she was ever one, but some of her old comments...anyway, currently she is not one thank god because I have some friends who are into her).

Each to their own :)  However, I think her save with 'dont want to sound like a pseudoscientist' is key here, and lets people know to take what she is saying with a pinch of salt.

I completely agree in that Anti-vaxxers and spreaders of fake news are dangers to the public health community. 

I'm not sure this is how Gaga came across in this interview though, and bit of an unfair comparison, :shrug: I felt like she was more taking some comfort in the fact that there COULD be some science behind what she feels, and taking some kind of comfort in that people are finding it important enough to study depression and mental health at the molecular levels .......

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Both Sides Now
8 minutes ago, GerMonsterNotta said:

I completely agree in that her save with not pretending to have answers and not being a "pseudoscientist" struck with importance to me, I too am studying a PhD in cancer biology :D 

Agree there are certainly many I know who would just eye-role at this, but my thread is more about putting Epigenetics in pop-culture and in the public, non-science sphere. Everyone knows to some extent what DNA is, but maybe not so much about how genes are expressed in cells. 

I dont think she's making a complete leap in what shes saying or jumping wholly to conclusions.. but more taking comfort in the fact that there COULD be some science behind what she feels, and taking some kind of comfort in that people are finding it important enough to study depression and mental health at the molecular levels .... 

Loving another bioscientist on this thread :hug:

Yay I hope your PhD is going well during quarantine sis :hug:

Yes agreed it is nice to see more complex ideas seeping into the public consciousness and it is typical of scientist (like myself) to assume nobody understands it other than scientists :giggle:

Anecdotally when I worked in a hotel through college, I was told by a woman that you can access ancestral memories of past lives through epigenetics :billie: I guess it triggered me. 

Both Sides Now
12 minutes ago, Cherry Cherry said:

I agree with the inheriting trauma from her dad part. Epigenetics is a lot more subtle than that.

The Dutch Famine is main example we're all taught in genetics I think, but it shows that the trauma isn't transmitted to you but it causes you to inherit a health issue (mental or physical). It's highly likely that the epigenome she inherited from her dad was tainted (for a lack of a better word) but she didn't inherit trauma. She's also experienced trauma herself so I think it's hard to draw a line between her dad's influence on her epigenome and how her life experiences have modified her epigenome. I know that there's ongoing research into how epigenetic modifications are involved in how humans adapt to a changing environment

I’ve never heard of that Dutch famine study. I’ll need to look it up, sounds super interesting. 

Most of my knowledge of epigenetics are from mouse studies since I’m an animal geneticist :fan:

Helxig
41 minutes ago, Giorno Giovanna said:

use some good quality sun protection :firega: and you can pray to the sun 

You better believe I do be slapping that SPF50 on every time I go in the sun! But it's a cold dark Winter here now so my skin gets a break for a couple months :huntyga:

27 minutes ago, brucee said:

making poetry like this can be an option too. 

:laughga:  my dear that was a 2 second word vomit, but thank you very much

I'll be myself until they fūcking close the coffin.

LilyLark
11 minutes ago, GerMonsterNotta said:

Each to their own :)  However, I think her save with 'dont want to sound like a pseudoscientist' is key here, and lets people know to take what she is saying with a pinch of salt.

I completely agree in that Anti-vaxxers and spreaders of fake news are dangers to the public health community. 

I'm not sure this is how Gaga came across in this interview though, and bit of an unfair comparison, :shrug: I felt like she was more taking some comfort in the fact that there COULD be some science behind what she feels, and taking some kind of comfort in that people are finding it important enough to study depression and mental health at the molecular levels .......

Oh, I wasn't accusing Gaga of being an anti-vaxxer. I was trying to say that one of the reasons I can't vibe with Marianne Williams is she used to come off as one back in the day (but to be fair,she's explicitly said she's for vaccines when she was running for President).

GerMonsterNotta
18 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

Yay I hope your PhD is going well during quarantine sis :hug:

Yes agreed it is nice to see more complex ideas seeping into the public consciousness and it is typical of scientist (like myself) to assume nobody understands it other than scientists :giggle:

Anecdotally when I worked in a hotel through college, I was told by a woman that you can access ancestral memories of past lives through epigenetics :billie: I guess it triggered me. 

Challenging at times!!! rather be dry but least I'm alive and that.... hope all is ok with you :hug:

Pseudoscientists are definitely a bugbear for me also...

As you know, there will always be misunderstandings and disagreements amongst the public, and also in the science community...... but I'm glad she somewhat injected the term 'Epigenetics' into her campaign with some sense of responsibility... as you know, the spread of public awareness of particular lines of science can be an important component for funding research grants etc.

Cherry Cherry
46 minutes ago, Both Sides Now said:

I’ve never heard of that Dutch famine study. I’ll need to look it up, sounds super interesting. 

Most of my knowledge of epigenetics are from mouse studies since I’m an animal geneticist :fan:

It's from WW2, the Germans starved the Dutch and some of the pregnant women carried their babies to full term and three generations later there's a higher incidence of mental and physical disorders. I think it was one of the starting points for the field of epigenetics because there were no other explanations other than the mothers and unborn children being starved

GerMonsterNotta
2 minutes ago, Cherry Cherry said:

It's from WW2, the Germans starved the Dutch and some of the pregnant women carried their babies to full term and three generations later there's a higher incidence of mental and physical disorders. I think it was one of the starting points for the field of epigenetics because there were no other explanations other than the mothers and unborn children being starved

This is so interesting - thank you for sharing :hug:Most definitely a very interesting field of study ...

Lord Temptation
1 hour ago, Both Sides Now said:

Hello girlies I’m a lurker here :pawsup:

I’m doing a PhD in genetics and when Gaga mentioned epigenetics in her interview I actually cringed a little :poot: I was relieved when she said something along the lines of “I’m not trying to make this pseudoscience” but yeah. 

What she’s suggesting is a BIG stretch which I’ve actually noticed in the mainstream. It comes from studies that show that “stress” can cause changes to your epigenome which can be heritable. The jump from that to “the death of my aunt caused me to inherit trauma from my dad” is a bit of a leap for me :ohwell:

I don’t mean to sound overly critical to Ga but I think most scientists would roll their eyes at that :messga:

Actually, your pretentious post made me cringe. So just because Gaga is not a scientist means she is not allowed to even talk about epigenetics? Am i allowed to talk about it? 

Gaga is very invested in the science. Not just because of her own experience, but because of the work her charity does with the mentally ill. As i’m sure you know, the BTW Foundation is partnered with several universities and intergovernment agencies to fund research into depression, trauma and intergenerational pain.

It is a still new area of research but Gaga’s excitedness in the topic makes me all the more interested in both her art as well as her Foundation’s research. 

Oh and by the way, every important discovery in science was a “BIG stretch” at the time. That is what science IS.

Both Sides Now
19 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Actually, your pretentious post made me cringe. So just because Gaga is not a scientist means she is not allowed to even talk about epigenetics? Am i allowed to talk about it? 

Gaga is very invested in the science. Not just because of her own experience, but because of the work her charity does with the mentally ill. As i’m sure you know, the BTW Foundation is partnered with several universities and intergovernment agencies to fund research into depression, trauma and intergenerational pain.

It is a still new area of research but Gaga’s excitedness in the topic makes me all the more interested in both her art as well as her Foundation’s research. 

Oh and by the way, every important discovery in science was a “BIG stretch” at the time. That is what science IS.

Ok calm down. Firstly, important discoveries in science are not always a big stretch at the time lol. More importantly, they’re always backed up by some sort of experimental evidence. Its kinda funny that you’re treating Gaga’s comment on epigenetics as her own personal thesis on a scientific area. Like girl it’s not that serious. I don’t think Gaga has devoted 8 years+ to scientific research to this field and is coming up with these theories herself. Maybe I’m wrong :billie:

You and Gaga are allowed to discuss epigenetics all you want. If you read my subsequent posts on this topic you’d see me freely admit scientists are very critical and skeptical about everything that is said so perhaps that is my scientist training coming out. I suggest you don’t take things so personally especially when this isn’t even about you lmao. We’re all Gaga stans here, some of us are allowed to question her random reference to rapidly developing scientific ideas. 

For someone calling me pretentious you are acting very superior :triggered: Everyone else was having a respectful conversation about this until you arrived. Practise kindness :hug:

GerMonsterNotta
1 minute ago, Both Sides Now said:

Ok calm down. Firstly, important discoveries in science are not always a big stretch at the time lol. More importantly, they’re always backed up by some sort of experimental evidence. Its kinda funny that you’re treating Gaga’s comment on epigenetics as her own personal thesis on a scientific area. Like girl it’s not that serious. I don’t think Gaga has devoted 8 years+ to scientific research to this field and is coming up with these theories herself. Maybe I’m wrong :billie:

You and Gaga are allowed to discuss epigenetics all you want. If you read my subsequent posts on this topic you’d see me freely admit scientists are very critical and skeptical about everything that is said so perhaps that is my scientist training coming out. I suggest you don’t take things so personally especially when this isn’t even about you lmao. We’re all Gaga stans here, some of us are allowed to question her random reference to rapidly developing scientific ideas. 

For someone calling me pretentious you are acting very superior :triggered: Everyone else was having a respectful conversation about this until you arrived. Practise kindness :hug:

No fighting on my thread please beautiful people  :saladga: :hug:

Stupid Love GIF by Lady Gaga

Lets all be grateful Gaga likes to dip into cutting-edge science trends every now again AND does practice this with a sense of responsibility which does not  mislead listeners. 

In this crazy world where there is a president carelessly spreading fake news about injecting bleach to defeat Ms. Rona .... this sense of responsibility has never been more important and I'm proud that Gaga conducts herself in this way  :hug:

paurok89

Yeah I'm here for it. Although, there was one thing that I thought about when she mentioned epigenetic changes in her father due to going through trauma that she (maybe) inherited. I thought that all the epigenetic changes are reset in gametes, therefore it is not really possible to inherit them? I might be wrong and if anyone has an answer to that please correct me :kiss:

Ziggy
3 hours ago, Both Sides Now said:

Hello girlies I’m a lurker here :pawsup:

I’m doing a PhD in genetics and when Gaga mentioned epigenetics in her interview I actually cringed a little :poot: I was relieved when she said something along the lines of “I’m not trying to make this pseudoscience” but yeah. 

What she’s suggesting is a BIG stretch which I’ve actually noticed in the mainstream. It comes from studies that show that “stress” can cause changes to your epigenome which can be heritable. The jump from that to “the death of my aunt caused me to inherit trauma from my dad” is a bit of a leap for me :ohwell:

I don’t mean to sound overly critical to Ga but I think most scientists would roll their eyes at that :messga:

Not even a scientist and I did a little lmao it sounded like “LA person read an Instagram post from enlightened YouTube guru who read a WebMD article” to my ears. The bigger part of that, though, was that I was struggling to understand her train of thought with epigenetics. I know what the subject is and have read enough to be a bit more than basically familiar with it, but in the context of Chromatica and the contexts of the conversations in which it came up, I scratched my head a little lol

It seems like our girl has A LOT of things in her head this era and not necessarily a guiding principle like past albums :laughga: but yeah I liked when she added in the pseudoscience bit; I can tell Bobby pulled her aside after that first interview she mentioned it in and probably told her to cover her a$$ so she doesn’t sound like an anti-vaxxer lmao I know media training when I see it haha

GerMonsterNotta
25 minutes ago, paurok89 said:

Yeah I'm here for it. Although, there was one thing that I thought about when she mentioned epigenetic changes in her father due to going through trauma that she (maybe) inherited. I thought that all the epigenetic changes are reset in gametes, therefore it is not really possible to inherit them? I might be wrong and if anyone has an answer to that please correct me :kiss:

Thanks for your interest here :) 
You are are completely correct that in sperm and egg production it is believed that there is an erasing of most epigenetic marks. 
However, like a lot of things, this is a biological process now believed to be sometimes incomplete, with some epigenetic information being transferred to the next generation. 

Here is very short article that came out of my university, now a few years ago, about this :) if you are interested.

https://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/scientists-discover-how-epigenetic-information-could-be-inherited

There still remains so many unknowns here, and it forms the basis of so many researcher's careers across the world. 

Archived