It's her dance floor, she flight for.

:cryga:

Omg YAS flight for your life baybee :huntyga:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ziggy
19 hours ago, geishababe said:

it's so weird that ARTPOP has been historicized as an era that received so much backlash when it didn't... AP didn't really make much noise outside of the stan world. At that point, people were over the gaga hype. She had become an eyeroll and other releases in pop were more entertaining to the public (Katy's peak, Lorde, Miley). 

EDIT: Since this seems to be really striking a chord with people i just wanna add that the things we/pop music stans made a big deal were virtually unknown to the public. nobody knows/remembers AP's first week projection numbers were going down every day, no one knew dwuw wasn't a top 10 hit, no one knew about the troy drama, no one noticed she was gone during her blackout, nobody thought she was over- they just didn't care for gaga at the moment. if you were to ask normal people about ARTPOP they would probably respond with "which album was that?" and if you reference applause or dwuw they might vaguely remember but for the most part it didn't really make a dent in culture (they she use to). were critics harsh- sure, but in terms of backlash, she received waaaay more during tf, tfm, and btw (i.e. meat dress, alejandro video, btw video, vma paparazzi performance, etc). oddly enough the btw era was really the catalyst for it but since she was riding the wave of her peak, we didn't really see the impact until ap era (or you could argue mtn)

This^^ especially your edit. She didn’t have a Katy era. People just didn’t pay attention.

migamiga
2 hours ago, ImTired said:

Sis. It wasn't just other stanbases calling AP fart-poop. There was tons of backlash.  

There’s a difference between labeling an album a flop and backlash. Again, i agree there was negative press but not backlash.

Couldn't say it better than that.

Electronic Pop Music Producer đŸŽčđŸŽžđŸŽ¶

The Child
15 hours ago, Delaytica said:

I have to respectfully disagree :kara:

From the sound of the album, to the aesthetics and looks if the era...if she released that album now it could be huge with the right payola :trollga: and marketing. The world in 2013 was not ready for that level of EDM and weirdness from a popstar. 

People were fed up of her weirdness lmao, EDM was already outdated in November 2013 but in May 2020? :selena:

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

CanadaGoesGaga

Just here to say I have stanned every Gaga era, and anytime Mother Monster feeds us, I am pleased. 

RochestrMonstr
2 hours ago, Ziggy said:

This^^ especially your edit. She didn’t have a Katy era. People just didn’t pay attention.

2 hours ago, geishababe said:

There’s a difference between labeling an album a flop and backlash. Again, i agree there was negative press but not backlash.

I agree completely! People remember ARTPOP as having “backlash” because of the negative press and negativity among fan bases, and also Gaga’s personal turmoils at the time, but in reality it was a rather indifferent era with the GP. 

The latter half of the BTW era, on the other hand, was where overexposure really had people actively disliking her. That’s backlash.

I remember initially ARTPOP’s “lack of maturity” as Gaga put it, almost seemed like it was supposed to be some kind of course correction after BTW, where her larger than life attitude was part of her overexposure.  

15 hours ago, Delaytica said:

I have to respectfully disagree :kara:

From the sound of the album, to the aesthetics and looks if the era...if she released that album now it could be huge with the right payola :trollga: and marketing. The world in 2013 was not ready for that level of EDM and weirdness from a popstar. 

I respectfully disagree with this lol :spin:

As much as some fans may disagree with it, part of the problem WAS the music. I am not saying it's a bad album, it's not, but the music itself was and is often commented on for being slightly overproduced and "loud". 2013 was peak commercialized EDM, one of the biggest moments in recent history that the world really embraced electronic music, but ARTPOP, as much as I love it, ranks lower in overall production than her other records. 

And this is just my opinion, but the "EDM" album really isn't overtly "EDM" aside from a few tracks, like Swine and Aura. 

Ziggy
4 hours ago, Doot said:

I respectfully disagree with this lol :spin:

As much as some fans may disagree with it, part of the problem WAS the music. I am not saying it's a bad album, it's not, but the music itself was and is often commented on for being slightly overproduced and "loud". 2013 was peak commercialized EDM, one of the biggest moments in recent history that the world really embraced electronic music, but ARTPOP, as much as I love it, ranks lower in overall production than her other records. 

And this is just my opinion, but the "EDM" album really isn't overtly "EDM" aside from a few tracks, like Swine and Aura. 

It’s funny because from a technical perspective, AP is her cleanest album by far and away. It has the most polished, shiniest production. Easily her best. But it is busy; many of the production’s themselves could have been standalone songs and then she put a vocal on top of it so it was “loud and “overproduced”. Now granted, that was intentional and the mixing and mastering made the album even louder but the production itself is among her best from a technical angle (BTW probably one of the worst, but that was intentional and done for effect so that’s an example of the limits of technical prowess). Even Fantano made explicit mention of how good the production was in his review of AP. I’m not saying that he’s the end all be all of reviewers, but to make note of that as a plus when you’re otherwise pretty so so to dec on the album as a whole days something.

What’s curious with Chromatica, and why some people think of the songs as a bit less “Gaga” or more generic so far, I think, does come down to the mixing and mastering being more strongly balanced this time around so it isn’t that trademark Gaga “loud” and “busy” sound. Because the songs aren’t all that far from her previous dance-pop. It’s just in how they get presented to audiences.

Archived