💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Chromatica, 7 Years In The Making

BlingNotTheMusic

Featured Posts

The Child
1 hour ago, Delaytica said:

Hmmm, can you explain more? Like why did they have to come first?

What would've been a more successful BTW follow-up?

Joanne would have been more successful in 2013. It would have taken the GP by surprise and people would have loved to see a toned down side of Gaga.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
migamiga
11 minutes ago, ARTPOPAct2 said:

I agree that in terms of reception, the community has way overblown the backlash it got. It simply didn’t do as well critically or commercially as her previous albums, but it was not a flop in either of those areas by any means.

Still, whether the GP knows it or not, ARTPOP was the pivotal point in her career. It changed the trajectory of everything. i truly think it made Gaga think of things differently in terms of how she wanted to push her career forward. 

I don’t look at it as a flop, many girls wish they could have an era with the numbers of ARTPOP, but I do look at it as probably making her think “this is the wrong direction to continue in, let’s try some different things now.” There is a very clear “before/during ARTPOP” and “after ARTPOP” split in Gaga’s career.

Thing is the GP is kinda getting nostalgic for CrazyGa now. So I think she’s right in saying that a lot of it was ahead of it’s time and many concepts from it would be seen as way more fresh instead of coming right off the heels of BTW when people were expecting the weirdness:vegas: 

I mean we’re seven years later and the other girls still haven’t tried something as bold as Gaga was trying with ARTPOP (although she admittedly failed to live up to most them) 

I think you shouldn’t overblow the reception as super negative. But I also think it will always go down as one of the most interesting and pivotal moments in her career in the long run. It was far from just a filler, underperforming album.

very well said. if i werent so lazy i wouldve said something similar :laughga:

The Child

ARTPOP wasn't ahead of its time, if anything it came out too late and people were over CrazyGa, Gaga should have expected that and instead came out with a toned down era.

‘If religion be the cause of disunity, then irreligion is surely to be preferred.’ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá

migamiga
7 minutes ago, The Child said:

THE LIES! People "hated" Applause and just stopped caring for after that, people were just expecting her to come out with songs like Poker Face and when she didn't they stopped caring.

those were just pop stans. gp either didn't know applause or liked it but didn't realize it was gaga. no one was checking for gaga in 2013

Judas Society

I wouldn't really say it's 7 yrs in the making. At the very least 5 years from original LG5. Remember some insiders said some songs were supposed to be part of LG5 or something like that.

The Child
3 minutes ago, geishababe said:

those were just pop stans. gp either didn't know applause or liked it but didn't realize it was gaga. no one was checking for gaga in 2013

I'm sorry but you're wrong, many people expected her to go back to the sound of TF in 2013 and when she released Applause, the GP stopped caring.

migamiga
6 minutes ago, The Child said:

I'm sorry but you're wrong, many people expected her to go back to the sound of TF in 2013 and when she released Applause, the GP stopped caring.

i would argue the opposite, in fact. to the gp, it felt like gaga kept doing the same thing: dance music with avant garde visuals and they were growing tired of her "pretentious" high art and having to dissect everything. which brings us to what the OP was saying about how it was a turning point in gaga's career and made her switch directions and went into jazz, ahs, joanne, asib

ArtpopAct2
20 minutes ago, The Child said:

ARTPOP wasn't ahead of its time, if anything it came out too late and people were over CrazyGa, Gaga should have expected that and instead came out with a toned down era.

In a weird way it was kinda both I think.

In the time it came out, it came out after Gaga had just put out two massively successful avante-garde projects with TFM and BTW where the performances and visuals were always shocking and surprising. So by ARTPOP people had gotten tired of it.

However I think now people almost miss that aspect of her since it’s been so long. I mean the most negative reactions I’ve read about ROM are people saying it’s too basic and not like Gaga. As if she needs to reinvent the wheel or something again. 

Which leads me to this, and I may get dragged for saying this, but ARTPOP kinda made pop music boring for me since it’s release. Even if Gaga didn’t live up to a lot of what she was saying she was gonna do that era, no other pop girl has even attempted to promise anything on that level. The app and other technologies they were developing, announcing the second act before the first one was even out, performing in f*cking space, and everything else she hyped to the moon.

Maybe the GP subconsciously recognizes that too, that Gaga’s peak (not just AP, TFM and BTW too) is really still the most interesting, surprising and shocking era of pop recently and they want that back. So that’s why I kinda think that some concepts from ARTPOP would be looked at in a better light now (not really the music though, as the type of EDM the album was isn’t really in right now).

Although she has successfully reinvented herself, I think people will always associate her in part with what made her so dominating  to begin with - someone who can weird them out, surprise them and get them talking.

Sorry I’ve made two long rants in the thread already, our fave has just had such an interesting career over just the past decade.

The Child
1 minute ago, geishababe said:

i would argue the opposite, in fact. to the gp, it felt like gaga kept doing the same thing: dance music with avant garde visuals and they were growing tired of her "pretentious" high art and having to dissect everything. which brings us to what the OP was saying about how it was a turning point in gaga's career and made her switch directions and went into jazz, ahs, joanne, asib

I think it was both, the GP were tired of her by the end of 2011 already, ARTPOP just made them even more uninterested in her.

high heeled fem

Lately I have been playing ARTPOP non ****ing stop & it’s such a amazing album. Venus sex dreams guy ARTPOP aura fashion gypsy  - these are the ones I play the rest I skip :wtfga:

high heeled fem

I have deff been waiting for this album though since Artrave ended 

GerMonsterNotta
3 hours ago, Delaytica said:

lady gaga face paint GIF by RealityTVGIFs

Ariana Grande Rain On Me GIF by Lady Gaga

So what are your thoughts? Do you agree or am I delulu?

Honestly, I completely hear you, from Exhibit A to Exhibit Z ..... its been a 7 year ride like no other. 

Another level of fascination, is this almost rebuilding 'We Love Her Again' concept, she foreshadowed in her early Fame work.
Wether intentional or not is a classic debate, .... but there is always some sense of self-fulfilling prophecy in her art. 

[My first post after many years lurking as a maniac gnhgngfnh :derpga:]

I totally agree with this post.

I stan gaga since 2008 too, and I had so much expectations for ARTPOP, and ended up very disappointed, which, I know, isn’t right. She had been hyping us so much, I was expecting something revolutionary, thought provoking, artsy af, with lots of technology, avant-garde, and in the end I felt like it wasn’t as big as she made us think (or at least as I was expecting). It’s still a great album though, but the era was indeed messy. After that, I started to be less staning, my tastes in music changed a little bit.

Then C2C, which I didn’t enjoy that much but I was very proud of her for showing another aspect of her talent, and flirting with a whole new public.

I was so hyped for AHS, but I didn’t think she was really showing her talent as an actress, as I thought The Countess was basically... Gaga being Gaga :v: but it was still so good to see her on the show, it was brilliant.

Then Joanne, I liked a few songs, I understood she needed to take a different turn in her career, and I was, again, happy she could show to the world that she can sing and is more than a weird pop star in a meat dress. But I wasn’t hyped as I used to though...

Then the Superbowl half time, I was SHOOKETH :messga: I felt what I felt when I was a hardcore fan, seeing her celebrate her legacy with this awesome performance, I wasn’t prepared for such slayage tbh, and I was living.

Then ASIB, I was blown away, so proud of her, for being vulnerable, showing a whole different aspect, again, of her many talents.

And now Chromatica in coming. I wasn’t expecting anything this time (which is the right thing to do). I didn’t like SL at first, thought it sounded cheap and too similar to previous songs of her, I felt like it was an attempt to please old fans (like me:trollga:) but I didn’t enjoy at all. Even the video felt kinda cheap to me... but then I started to listen again, again, again, and it grew in me :stalkga:

and I realised that I was expecting too much from her, and that’s wrong. I don’t know why, it’s like I’m asking her to always be ahead of her time, geeky, deep, but f***, she is serving us music to dance and sing on, healing sounds, and i shouldn’t ask for more because that’s clearly what the world needs now, and for other type of music/artistry, i have another constellation of artists, so I’ve come to term with this « disappointment » sh*t which is really stupid. And clearly she is feeding us with great content lately, so I’m completely happy about it.

And now ROM, omg, I’m so hyped again, it’s so good. I feel like this album and era are going to be her revenge on how ARTPOP has been received and promoted. 

I’m not about always going in the past, what has been done is done, and I truly want her to evolve and create new sounds, new visions, and I feel like that’s what she’s doing with Chromatica. I leave my expectations aside for the moment, and wait for it to come out (so soon omg)

Okay well, sorry for this novel :oops: and thanks for the ones who read, and, well, welcome to myself i guess :laughga:

BlingNotTheMusic
4 hours ago, The Child said:

Joanne would have been more successful in 2013. It would have taken the GP by surprise and people would have loved to see a toned down side of Gaga.

Oh I thought you meant another dance album like Gaga's previous work but not EDM. 

I personally think ARTPOP had to "fail", for Joanne to be such a success. Because it's a story of rebirth and coming home. 

MonsterOfSpain
Just now, Delaytica said:

Oh I thought you meant another dance album like Gaga's previous work but not EDM. 

I personally think ARTPOP had to "fail", for Joanne to be such a success. Because it's a story of rebirth and coming home. 

ARTPOP was way more successful than Joanne lmao

Archived