💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Gaga's vocals and career trajectory

GerMonsterNotta

Featured Posts

GerMonsterNotta

First of all, when we dial back to her early performances, it's clear her voice has grown a lot. 
Does anyone else find how her voice has developed, and changed, throughout her career journey interesting, and quite amazing.....?

We always knew she could carry a ballad with good tone... Brown Eyes, Speechless etc.

For me, the turning point with her live pipes started to really blossom throughout the BTW era, especially during the big performances like TEOG BTW tour, and BTW gospel version! Like her tone and range seemed to expand 10-fold!  (How do you think this happened??)

And then of course the Jazz detour pushed this further, and I feel the efforts in The Cure, ASIB and now Chromatica, she's pushing that higher range - falsetto effort...

What are your thoughts... ?
-  Has this always been in our girl, but somewhat suppressed by the very early producers? 
-  Is all the years of practice and experience coming together, as well as the sense to push herself outside her comfort zone help achieve this....?

OR a bit of all the above

Plus - where next for her vocals?!

tbh I could tell there was something special about her voice during the chorus in Poker Face :pawsup:

ThisGuyTony

Honestly when I first stanned I didn’t care or pay attention to her vocals. :air: 

Now I know she’s a powerhouse. :gaycat: 

derpmonster

Practice makes one a lot better in singing :) you're always growing and getting better if you practice. She continued vocal training throughout her career and the biggest jump imo was ARTPOP and C2C.

Her smoking has also led to changes in her tone but I think those have been good changes. As long as she stops now. :D

+Age matures your voice. It's a misconception that your voice only gets worse as you age. That's if you don't take care. Look at opera singers. They sing every single day and they are FAR from "prime" in their 20s. Their prime is in 30s or 40s. Or even later. 

Check out iTunes data & graphs at CHARTPOP.live

ear condom

weed did that

giskardsb

I think she always had a lot of it ( although she has continuously trained) but decided (or was pushed) early in her career to dial out the "diva" style vocals in favor of more pop friendly approaches, since the "diva" vocals were being pigeonholed into R&B roles.

LGMonster95

She always had a great voice but later in her career her voice got actually much better and yes a lot of practice really does that for example I'm not a singer at all, at the beginning when I started to sing, I pretty much was terrible but now after years of singing almost everyday, I can actually hold long notes with vibrato with ease. I truly love the way her voice evolved 

Miel

She held a thinner, much younger sounding timbre early on, that was still backed by so much power.

Hearing that (already significant) power increase, and the color of her voice widen and broaden, is a joy.

3 points in and ready for more

Riley

I feel like Cheek To Cheek did wonders for her career in terms of vocals, technique, tone, etc. And now that she is more established, she probably has more say in the sound of her records and therefore can highlight her vocals the way SHE wants - which I believe to be less "traditional popstar" style. She's always mixed her classical technique/training with modern pop music and that's part of why we all love her unique sound!

And of course, years and years of practice I'm sure helped immensely. Like think of prepping for a tour: I'm sure artists struggle to get through a run through during rehearsals, but by the last date they're belting out adlibs and showing off with ease cause they're more comfortable with the material, more endurance, more breath control, etc. 

Defmix100

I think I prefer her voice around 2010 but prefer her range and head voice now and want to hear an acoustic album of her hits like how she sings Paparazzi here

NCgaga

The only thing going on here, Physically with her voice, is her voice is aging. That’s it. It’s not expanding or anything like that. She has always been a knowledgeable musician in regards to vocal ability. Look up videos of her before she was famous, like “Electric Kiss”- her voice was large and rangy. 

the differences are how she marketed her voice. Her tone was brighter earlier In her career due to age, but- she didn’t do a lot of vocal acrobatics, belting, etc. she was marketing pop dance Vocal which is typically a bright and easily sing along tone- nothing too rangy or hard to digest. She started  to branch out more with her range and full voice vocals in born this way- particularly “Hair,You and I, Queen. Then even more so in her tribute performances, and cheek to cheek- she started to market to a pure vocal, as opposed to pop dance vocal. 

What’s interesting now, is to see how much she is able to merge her dance pop vocal with her recent rangier and full voiced vocal. She naturally has a darker and fuller tone than someone like Ariana who has a rangy, but BRIGHT tone. Anyway- that’s really the difference between her voice now, versus then. 

Mirrion Rizzons

her head voice these days is absolutely amazing:bradley:

it's crazy how her voice went from baby like in paparazzi to "rain on me tsunami" :ladyhaha: I prefer it now and I would say her vocals really improved around 2013 onwards

27monster27

She had the perfect voice for pop music when she debuted, though drugs (allegedly cocaine) did severe damage to her vocal chords during The Fame era. As The Fame Ball tour progressed, her vocals had healed some, though they still had a ways to go. This is why The Fame Monster studio recordings are general deeper than her other works. As The Fame Monster era progressed, her voice started to heal more and more, with this leading into the Born This Way era. She healed very strongly until mid-2012, which was when her increased marijuana usage started to take a toll on her voice (Interestingly enough though, this may have been what lead her to the newer vocal style that she started to develop in 2013. Also, despite the marijuana damage her voice still managed grow in power and projection during the Born This Way Ball tour). Her period of a very reduced amount of drug use following the Born This Way Ball finally allowed her vocals to blossom into the amazing 2013-early 2018 ones that we know and love. She did have a minor fall back period in 2016-early 2017 due to heavy cigarette smoking, but this generally was not too heavy. Though, based on what I have heard more recently she stopped visiting a vocal coach regularly, which has taken its effect on her voice. She still sings very well, but she needs to keep up with her vocal coach regularly. Look what happened to Madonna post Ray of Light and Music, for example. Madonna still can sing well in certain songs, but the lack on continued training has shown itself.

EDIT: I should probably mention that yes, age is definitely a factor.

EDIT TWO: I should also mention that I in no way intended for this to be rude at all. I genuinely appreciate how Lady Gaga's vocals have evolved to where they are now. Her expanded falsetto and head voice is really amazing. I just mention this only because I care.

he/him/his

GerMonsterNotta

Great discussion here - I am definitely feeling those points about age and sense of maturity in the voice..

Personally for me, I remember watching videos like the below ones, which made me really sit up and think Jeez, she's stepped it up on them powerhouse vocals, with those gospel qualities in the first video, and then almost operatic TEOG intro....

I think she's always had it, but the anthemic sound of BTW almost demanded it and helped her craft and harness it further...

Especially thinking, before Born This Way, her singles Telephone & Alejandro, which dont get me wrong we all LOVE, but hold nothing to the vocals delivered on BTW......

Like I feel like BTW really could have been a vocal awakening/harnessing experience for her....

Archived