Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Should "cancel culture" be cancelled?

Bambino

Featured Posts

27monster27
1 minute ago, KanyeWest said:

I see what u mean. But would the victims be ready to disclose that if there were no cancel culture? The god-like myth image of celebrities is slowly but surely deteriorating, didn't happen in the 90s, was barely starting in the 2000s, ever since social media and cancel culture something of value happened, a lot of it can be unhealthy but there can be some good in it if u think about it. We are questioning people now regardless of their fame that would protect them before

Good points. Perhaps cancel culture could only apply to people who have been confirmed to have done things that are really horrible?

he/him/his

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DeleteMyAccount

I think the whole conversation/topic of cancel culture is annoying and should be thrown out. It’s just like the whole anti-feminist/SJW fetish people have. Half of social media are bots trying to rile people up. The whole idea of cancel culture is based on random “people” hash tagging spam.

If there’s a person who does need to be put to task, then we can hold then accountable like we’ve always tried doing. Cancel culture has been more about defending idiots because they’re bothered by changing times. 

Born This Way

At this point, cancel culture is just people being pissy babies for a week then most people move on. Petty ass people will always hold onto anything and then maybe a few months later they'll post the receipts for attention and the cycle repeats. However, that isn't to say that it isn't extremely toxic. A female wrestler just committed suicide yesterday from being bullied online.

Reset my mind's IP, delete what I don't need

Economy

If cancel culture cancelled only people and celebrities that were truly disgusting and despicable I'd say no

But cancel culture has gone to unforgiving extremes of trying to nit pick on every little thing someone says that could sound not 100% politically correct...

Or to dig up videos from 15 years ago of something that sounded bad (as if the SJWs of cancel culture never said anything problematic in their lives) and no amount of apologies from the celeb earn forgiveness

So when cancel culture gets that rediculously extreme and toxic, I'd say yes it should be cancelled (ironically) :enigma:

Gracious Gaga

Yes, it should.

if you don’t like someone, just stop paying attention to them.  Simple 

♥ Kindness Police.

joannesrats

Cancel culture isn't real. It doesn't work. If it was real then Shane Dawson wouldn't get millions of views, someone probs would've taken a hit out on Nicki. Like it doesn't matter

Bambino
1 minute ago, DiskoBaby said:

Just judging by your example, what Roseanne did was not racist. She's not racist for making a joke.

Look at it this way, if she made the same joke about a white person, would people have been offended? If a black celebrity made the same joke about the same recipient would they be considered racist? 

Roseanne was just a victim of making fun of the "wrong type" of people and people got all up and arms about it. It was just a way of putting a white person "in their place" 

Her being a comedian doesn't give her the right to call anyone whether black or white a monkey. Whatever she thought she was doing wasn't funny in any way. But then again, maybe someone from "wrong type" or actually someone with better knowledge on history can explain why what she said was wrong better than me?

Lana is a white person who literally only mentioned a group of female singers both black and white and people are trying to cancel her. So yes, everyone is a target for this cancel thing.

Magic Mike
25 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

Cancel culture is incredibly hypocrite, it cancels strategically, some are protected, others not 

tHIS^

although I do think it is important to defend your principles and values,

what I hate most about the politically correctness of this culture is that it despises the separate value of art in relation to the artist as a person.
obviously, the awareness of things must keep us vigilant about the disdain of human dignity. we should never let our guard down because there are always someone out there who have no idea what respect for others is.

But we must also not give in to the temptation to demonize people, thinking that we live in a black and white world. People do ****, make mistakes and evolve. And there are cases where accusations are never proven.
Having said that, I'm only sad to see how fast the internet is to generate consensus on canceling this or that person, forgetting that that person is completely unknown to us - what we know is the art that she gives us. And art endures, indifferent to the artist's life.

crackhead

I think it’s really toxic, but like you said, some people deserve it. I think a lot of the time with small irrelevant stuff, like Lana’s situation, there’s no real impact. From what I’ve seen, a lot of people are just making fun of her/the drama because it’s the newest, most memeable thing happening. 
And then there’s the middle ground. Camilla Cabello, for example. She got caught reblogging pictures of the N word, and was shown using it a few times. What she did was inherently racist, but that doesn’t mean she IS racist, if that makes any sense. She deserves to be shamed and called out, but not necessarily canceled imo. I don’t think non black people should say it, but it’s more common than a lot of people think, especially in the south. 

Hurem

Yes.

People pretend like doing one bad thing automatically makes you a horrible person that doesn't deserve to live.

SCHEISSEMONTRE

Sure, but what if like a f up person did something. For example: Harvey Weinstein or Kevin Spacey. Should we not cancel them despite the crimes that they did? 

Mychal

SCHEISSEMONTRE
15 minutes ago, Monsterabriel said:

Yes, we need to get it trending on @Twitter #cancelcultureisoverparty

but it will be clustered with fancams :poot:

Mychal

Archived