đź’“ DAWN OF CHROMATICA đź’“

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

Should "cancel culture" be cancelled?

Bambino

Featured Posts

Bambino

Words and phrases such as "legendary, iconic, queen" and "Shakira is the Queen of Latin Pop" get thrown around easily these days and used unnecessarily in inappropriate situations to impress someone or sound smart, and "cancel culture" is no different to that. Who the **** gives anyone the right to cancel someone because they don't agree with what they said or because they did/said in the past that's no longer related to their current position or self?

And by all that, I'm talking about people who merely post their maybe unpopular opinions without sounding rude directly or indirectly to anyone, but because someone's of course offended by their disapproval of something they think is not to be commented on, you find them throwing around sentences like "let's cancel that bitch" in a very uncalled for manner.

Yes, some people like for example Roseanne Barr, who did have a choice but she chose to be a racist **** and she got what she deserved. But you can't just cancel anyone just because they're saying something you don't like?

Yup, this thread was inspired by Lana's recent situation so feel free to include her in your arguments.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spyro

#BambinoIsCancelledParty

Ot: it is a bit immature and out of line.  And has it ever been effective? :rip:

Spyro the Dragon

This thread looks a lot like Lana's letter. Unnecessary shade towards talented female artists to prove a point no one asked you to.

27monster27

Yes. It gets rid of two fundamental necessities for all, innocent until proven guilty, and the ability to explain yourself without being ignored.

he/him/his

President Biden

I didn’t even read the first post.

But from the title, I can share my opinion already:

Ryan Newman Yes GIF by Alexander IRL

I got drunk

Only immature people cancel famous people for meaningless statements. But let's not forget that cancel culture does have a value, it allowed people like Weinstein, Kevin Spacey etc to be eradicated from this universe. Although there is still work to do with Tekashi, or the humorist Louis C.K etc... Cancel culture is incredibly hypocrite, it cancels strategically, some are protected, others not 

Bambino
4 minutes ago, Brecht said:

This thread looks a lot like Lana's letter. Unnecessary shade towards talented female artists to prove a point no one asked you to.

Provide examples please.

27monster27
3 minutes ago, KanyeWest said:

Only immature people cancel famous people for meaningless statements. But let's not forget that cancel culture does have a value, it allowed people like Weinstein, Kevin Spacey etc to be eradicated from this universe. Although there is still work to do with Tekashi, or the humorist Louis C.K etc... Cancel culture is incredibly hypocrite, it cancels strategically, some are protected, others not 

True, but I don't consider people like Weinstein or Tekashi as being cancelled. I like to call it what it is; stopping predators. Same thing with Onision.

he/him/his

DiskoBaby

Yes. 

If you don't like what someone did or said, just ignore them and move on. 

People on social media are so entitled that they believe the world should cater to them and their views and feel they have the right to end somebody else's career just because they disagree with them or felt "offended" by them. 

But we don't live in a mature world where we let people live and let live. :coffee:

Delusional
2 minutes ago, Bambino said:

Provide examples please.

You didn’t really show an example of people being cancelled for the wrong things either :green:

‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️BANNED TILL SEPTEMBER‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

Bambino
1 minute ago, DeIusional said:

You didn’t really show an example of people being cancelled for the wrong things either :green:

I mentioned Lana tho.

1 minute ago, 27monster27 said:

True, but I don't consider people like Weinstein or Tekashi as being cancelled. I like to call it what it is; stopping predators. Same thing with Onision.

I see what u mean. But would the victims be ready to disclose that if there were no cancel culture? The god-like myth image of celebrities is slowly but surely deteriorating, didn't happen in the 90s, was barely starting in the 2000s, ever since social media and cancel culture something of value happened, a lot of it can be unhealthy but there can be some good in it if u think about it. We are questioning people now regardless of their fame that would protect them before

DiskoBaby

Just judging by your example, what Roseanne did was not racist. She's not racist for making a joke.

Look at it this way, if she made the same joke about a white person, would people have been offended? If a black celebrity made the same joke about the same recipient would they be considered racist? 

Roseanne was just a victim of making fun of the "wrong type" of people and people got all up and arms about it. It was just a way of putting a white person "in their place" 

I still don't believe she meant anything malicious about it. It was just a harmless tasteless joke. 

Chromatica Island

Yes, we need to get it trending on @Twitter #cancelcultureisoverparty

Any/All Pronouns, Genderfluid🏳‍⚧

Archived