Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram

What ever happened to Marry The Night?

Pop Art

Featured Posts

Pop Art

I'm sure we all know the tragic chart-related fate of our beloved Marry The Night. I know it's been discussed to death, and then some, but the question of why it happened is still up for debate. I obviously don't have all the answers, but I'd like to bring up a few points for discussion.

1.) It was the fifth single from one of the highest selling albums of the year. This does make some logical sense. If most of those who are interested already have the album and thus already have the song, if they aren't stans, why would they but it again? However, this does not explain the success of Adele's singles. Her album was the top selling album in 2011, and three out of four of her singles went #1 in numerous worldwide locations, and all four of her singles went at least platinum in the US. This is definitely not due to her stan population - she has nowhere near the number of stans GaGa has.

2.) It was released at a period when GaGa was severely overexposed. This is also a plausible theory. 2011 showed more performances, interviews, and other promotion than any other stage in GaGa's career up to that point. Yet this begs the question, why did Rihanna and Katy Perry still perform well chart-wise? Katy Perry's 6th single from Teenage Dream, The One That Got Away, was released in early October, and yet it still was a hit in the US, reaching #3. (It should be noted that all her previous efforts from the album went #1, so it wasn't as if this was her one hit from that album.) In late September, Rihanna had released her 27th single in six years with We Found Love, and we all know how big that one became. So this theory of overexposure, while still being a valid point, is questionable.

3.) The public just didn't like the song. This one is a bit more difficult to decide. I could see why this theory would be considered though. At the time when Marry The Night was released, the top songs were generally of a much lighter, happier nature. Marry The Night is definitely a happy song, but it is riddled with tinges of darkness, something not many songs at the time included. Then again, most of Adele's album was of a depressing nature, and her singles generally performed with flying colors.

4.) It was simply released at the wrong time of year. I think this is only true based on what actually occurred. Marry The Night didn't reach it's peak on Digital Songs and Pop Songs or Radio Songs until December 24th and January 7th, respectively, which implies that the oversaturation of Christmas and New Years songs drowned out any chances it had. Now, if it had taken off upon release, as I believe GaGa's team had planned, this wouldn't have really been a problem. It simply would have picked back up once all the madness died down. Unfortunately, that was not the case.

However, the song did have a few aspects in its favor, including, but not limited to:

- The song was the 3rd highest debut on Pop Songs in 2011 (#24) [Source]

- The Official Video garnered 5 million views in less then 48 hours [Source]

- The Official Video was viewed 10 million times in 5 days [Source]

- It's tied with Telephone for GaGa's 2nd highest ascent to #1 on Dance/Club Play Songs (5 weeks) [Source]

- Apparently, the single cover is (or was) the most viewed picture on Twitpic

So, this begs the question, what really did happen to Marry The Night? Discuss!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HausOfAntonio

I think it performed badly mostly because people couldn't relate to it. What does "marry the night" mean? I've had numerous friends come up to me and ask what it meant, and they thought it was strange.

The public just didn't like the song.

This is probably the reason, it isn't very difficult to see why. While I love the song to death, the production is noisy, especially during the chorus with those hard-hitting synths. It shares this distinction with Judas, the other song from the album that didn't perform well.

aaronyoji

i find it odd that the public decided this song in particular just didn't suit the radio, when there are plenty of songs on the radio at the time and now that are literally like *** *** LICK THE CUM OFF MA BACK AND IT AINT EVEN MA BIRFDAYY N#GGA bItch Slappp!1 wdjfhwu

edit: judas as well lol.

People don't do good sometimes, it's no big deal, EVERY artist will experience a song that doesn't make the top 10. I think this fanbase is a little spoiled or maybe they just have a twisted view of how singles work.

BROSEIDON

I think it was just think the public didn't like it. The song is rather noisy and confusing if you think about it. If not a fan of the song you don't really understand what it means. I still think the release period for it had a little bit to do with it failing as well. They should have waited till New Years to release it imo. It would have done better.

Pop Art

People don't do good sometimes, it's no big deal, EVERY artist will experience a song that doesn't make the top 10. I think this fanbase is a little spoiled or maybe they just have a twisted view of how singles work.

No, I totally understand where you're coming from. Every major artist is expected to have at least one single under perform. It's just that Marry The Night is my favorite song on the album, and it still kills me that it basically bombed worldwide.

J e s s e

Let it REST IN PEACE :fail:

"They have as much in common as dinosaurs and goldfish: the cracker kind!" - Penelope Garcia

No, I totally understand where you're coming from. Every major artist is expected to have at least one single under perform. It's just that Marry The Night is my favorite song on the album, and it still kills me that it basically bombed worldwide.

oh ok, i thought you were gonna be delusional and be like OMG ALL SINGLEZ MUST BE TOP 5.

but yeah, i like MTN too and i thought it was super radio friendly... i thought wrong :teehee:

The kind of beats and rythm of the song wasn´t appealing to GP. All the "generic basic" songs, from other artists, that were playing at that time had and still have a different rythm, which still pleases the GP (David Guetta, Calvin, Dr, Dre, and even some new RedOne productions to other artists are more mainstream). I like the melody of MTN, but not its beat, its dance rythm. The same happened to Judas. The fans like it, but GP doesn´t.

Lion Heart

The public was not here for the song. Period. I don't understand why we're still having a philosophical bonfire over a song that was released to the radio almost a year ago. Let it rest in peace.

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Archived