9 hours ago, KEVIN STEVE said:

*Adele

Lorde only had one hit and it wasn't a balladĀ :vegas:

I'm pretty positive she mentioned Lorde

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Aglaya said:

Well that doesn't make any sense. The point of Dope being such a raw an depressing song it's not about thatĀ itself, it's about it's location on the album, and that's why it fits on ARTPOP. The placement, just after Mary Jane Holland (A song about drugs) and right before Gypsy (wich is more of an optimistic song) it's really important in this proyect. Most of the party-rave sounds on the album are used as a metaphorĀ to hide a deeper meaning; Swine is the perfect example of that. It's not a "dance and party" album, it's actually way deeper than that, and Dope is the exact moment you hit the lowest point of the message. For you to say that it doesn't fit on this album based only on the sound of it,Ā Ā just because it's not an electronic-house song, really shows how deeply uninformed about this album you are.Ā 

About that "Need you more than Dope" line, I just can't understand what you mean by sloppy and not good writing. It's literally what she means.Ā :sweat: It's a song about needing someone so much, that your love is way more important than the drugs you areĀ addicted to. A raw and sad message that creates the base of ARTPOP.Ā 

And sadly, I can read all the shallow things you say about the song on this topic.Ā 

Thematically it might fit, but soundwise it doesn't. It's very simple :rip:Ā Ā "I need you more than dope"Ā sounds cringe to me, It's just my opinion, get over it, jeez.Ā Ā 

Ā 

JustJames

I think itā€™s how literal Gaga is in the line ā€œI need you more than Dopeā€ and/or the reference to marijuana as dope (canā€™t research it right now but I imagine dope transitioned from marijuana to heroin in its use as a slang reference a pretty long time ago) that the user is struggling with.

I totally ā€œgetā€ the songā€™s place in the album and track list; I do, however, understand how someone might think that, being the symbolic crash after the party, the track comes across as a little weak and somewhat inauthentic.Ā 

Iā€™m not downplaying Gagaā€™s struggles and as a recovering addict myself, Iā€™m certainly not making light of that issue. But, given the emotion she put into the vocal performance of ā€œTil it Happens to You,ā€ a song about another serious struggle yet one she wrote less than 30% of, Ā ā€œDopeā€ comes across as a little bit too theatrical with the quivering etc. And, while the verses are great lyrically, the chorus borrows heavily from IWBWY and there isnā€™t any bridge.Ā 

For me, Speechless, Til it Happens to You, Million Reasons, Joanne (Piano), ARUTW, BIC, and INLA are all farĀ better and more passionate ballads. I think BTW and ARTPOP both couldā€™ve used a stronger ballad, and while I understand Dope and think it fits much better thematically into the final story of the album, I think she was capable of something much more iconic given the subject matter, the timeframe within her personal and professional career, and the trends of the industry at the time.Ā 

Lastly, fromĀ a personal taste (or lack of) perspective, the production is a little too heavy for me.Ā 

Archived