💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

Can pop stars still submit on Best Dance Recording?

Lighter

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

They can as far as I am concerned. In theory anybody could submit songs under different genres to any category, the question if they get enough votes to get a nom.

4 minutes ago, FfFfFfFF said:

They can as far as I am concerned. In theory anybody could submit songs under different genres to any category, the question if they get enough votes to get a nom.

This is incorrect. Pop stars can no longer submit to dance recording unless it's a feature from a song by a DJ.

Lighter
5 minutes ago, JR Gg said:

This is incorrect. Pop stars can no longer submit to dance recording unless it's a feature from a song by a DJ.

I’ve been looking for a note about this from the Grammys and I can’t see anything. Maybe they still can but it’s no longer a thing

They can still submit if they want

They just wouldn't get the nom

I think the point is to recognize truly Dance - EDM artists 

툭 까보면 어김없이 소리질러와

Delusional

Okay but what is the actual definition of a dance recording? Like something played at the club?

‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️BANNED TILL SEPTEMBER‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️‼️

Lighter
1 hour ago, DeIusional said:

Okay but what is the actual definition of a dance recording? Like something played at the club?

Electronic songs

Ocean Blvd
4 minutes ago, Lighter said:

Electronic songs

Are you sure? There are a lot of electronic songs that are no dance records.

Azor Ahai

The pop girls ended up being nominated at every category ever so they made electronic for DJs and pure EDM artists only.

Monster Hair

Just if it's a collab with a DJ like Rihanna with Calvin Harris, Foxes with Zedd or Dua Lipa with Diplo and Mark Ronson

I don't really understand how those rules work...

James Gibson

Thid changed for the 2012 grammys cause popstars (Gaga, Rihanna, Madonna etc) dominated the field for having top 10 hits nominated when they have their own pop genre. That felt unfair to actual Electronic and dance producers and artists who are not so famous but create the actual producing and melody for the genre.

That year Interscope submitted Judas for Dance Recording and was moved to Pop Solo Performance (thats why Gaga had 2 submissions in the category that year).  

JazzGa

Wow I feel so lucky that Gagz was able to sweep up a few Best Dance Album and Best Dance Recording awards before they changed the rules! This makes sense, imagine if any pop tart who sang-rapped to that prototypical trap beat and used high-hat snares was allowed to submit to the RnB category :smh:

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with Brian🎺 and Steve🎷

JustJames

Yes, the Grammys have committees in place that review the entries into the majority of the genres before the first round of voting begins. In my opinion, the Grammys need to be more consistent and transparent about the definitions of each genre, how each genre maintains integrity in reviewing submissions, and also allow for songs that bend genres and set trends to be awarded.

This year, for example, Lizzo submitted 'Truth Hurts' to rap, but their committee concluded it was a pop song and it was moved there, where it ultimately won for Best Pop Solo Performance. Similarly, Lil Nas X submitted to rap and was moved to pop. Many rap submissions are ultimately moved to Pop; there is also a lot of movement between R&B, Urban Contemporary, and Pop.

Beginning in 2012, the year after Gaga was nominated for Best Dance Recording for Dance in the Dark, the dance/electronic category was revamped in response to trends at the time. Given that nearly every popstar could have theoretically submitted a song into that category and would have had radio play, chart success, and commercial success to support a nomination, the rules were changed to disallow any songs/albums with a pop singer as the lead artist. 

I find it extremely unfair that an artist like Beyonce is able to collect nominations and wins in several genres and subgenres for 1 album; for example, with 1 album, she could receive nominations in Best Pop Solo Performance, Best R&B Song, Best R&B Performance, Best Traditional R&B Performance, Best Urban Contemporary Album... similarly, Taylor Swift is able to submit/be nominated in Best Country Song, Best Country Performance, etc. Meanwhile, Lady Gaga is only eligible for Best Pop Solo Performance and Best Pop Vocal Album (and Duo if applicable). To make things worse, Pop is one of the few genres without an award for Best Song.

IMO, Best Contemporary Pop Crossover Song and Best Contemporary Pop Crossover Performance would be good additions (along with Best Pop Song) to allow for songs/recordings that use country/edm/R&B/etc. influences to be rewarded. A lineup could look like:

1. Lady Gaga - Million Reasons (country)

2. Lizzo - Truth Hurts (rap)

3. Britney Spears - Til the World Ends (elctronic/dance) 

4. Beyonce - Me, Myself, and I (R&B)

5. Lil Nas X - Old Town Road (rap, country)

Definitely glad Gaga was able to collect Grammys for The Fame (best dance album) and Pokerface (best dance recording) prior to the changes; I wish she had milked the system and also submitted a song like Paparazzi to the Pop categories, though. 

Archived