Stupid Love
Sign in to follow this  
other

Pigeon Creates Beautiful Nest After Secretly Stockpiling from War Memorial

Featured Posts

FfFfFfFF

Poppies have become a lasting symbol of the endurance and perseverance of wounded soldiers, especially since they’ve been seen growing on battlefields after World War I.  [...]pigeon-poppy-nest-3.jpeg

Since early October, the staff at the Australian War Memorial had noticed that poppies were disappearing from the Tomb of the Unknown Australian Soldier. It caused some confusion until the staff looked up.

There they saw that a pigeon has been carefully crafting a nest on the ledge of a stained glass window. The fact that the pigeon was the poppy thief was actually a pleasant surprise given the role that these birds had during times of war.

As historian Dr. Meleah Hampton points out, communication was difficult during early wars as the technology we have now simply wasn’t available. Just as horses were used to transport troops and supplies, pigeons were used to carry important messages at times when soldiers weren’t able to relay information easily. Their role carried on well into World War II, when environmental conditions continued to cause communication issues. Given this special relationship between pigeons and the military, the nest takes on a whole new meaning.

Source and full article: https://mymodernmet.com/pigeon-poppy-nest-australia/

pigeon-poppy-nest-4.jpeg 

pigeon-poppy-nest-2.jpg

pigeon-poppy-nest-1.jpg

►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►► ► ► ► ► ► ► ► ►
  • Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 30

little legend

so beautiful!and is created over nails! Hope they dont destroy the nest:grr:

• Like 1

Trillion Reasons

How beautiful! Hope this boy will find his one and only pigeon-wife. :diane:

• Love 4

Ally Campana

Why can’t the pigeon couple that keeps sh*tting on my balcony make things like this? :messga: 

STUPID LOVE
  • LMAO 11

Trillion Reasons
3 minutes ago, Ally Campana said:

Why can’t the pigeon couple that keeps sh*tting on my balcony make things like this? :messga: 

Maybe you should put some poppies on your balcony so they could start build a beautiful nest? :diane:

• Like 1
  • YAAAS 1
  • Love 2

Ally Campana
Just now, Trillion Reasons said:

Maybe you should put some poppies on your balcony so they could start build a beautiful nest? :diane:

They’ll probably use that as a toilet seat :ladyhaha:

STUPID LOVE
  • LMAO 5

LGs LM

He's like that one kid in art class that's very extra. :queenga:

• LMAO 2
  • YAAAS 2

Lord Temptation

As a Sydneysider, Canberra (where the Australian War Memorial is located) is probably our most beautiful and underrated city. I was visiting last month, and the city, while small, really makes you proud to live here.

Most Australians love to knock the place but it’s a really pretty city, very different to other cities in that it does not sit by the sea but is inland in the great Australian bush, surrounded by gorgeous hills and surrounding lovely Lake Burley Griffin.

Also, the locals love it (and it shows, they’re very friendly) and so do visitors. 

• Like 2

lovedillon
1 hour ago, little legend said:

so beautiful!and is created over nails! Hope they dont destroy the nest:grr:

What do you mean it’s created over nails? All I see are the war flowers & the stems from them poking out.

The Fame

Finally some good content to read here during this musicless time. Love this.

• Love 1

Glamourpuss
26 minutes ago, lovedillon said:

What do you mean it’s created over nails? All I see are the war flowers & the stems from them poking out.

In the left of the picture that shows the whole nest you can see what looks like spikes to deter birds from nesting there in the first place. But they could just be the stems. 

Edited by Glamourpuss
  • Like 1

little legend
2 hours ago, lovedillon said:

Look the last picture 

They put these things to avoid pigeons going there 

• Like 1