CEREMONY: Poppy - I Disagree

TheSlash

Featured Posts

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TheSlash
Just now, Esteban said:

I was at work but I'm here now, where are u guys?!

:party:  #10 already revealed :whitney: 

Ew, David!

TheSlash
2 minutes ago, ProjectJoanne said:

So Did I, it's like the least favored song on the album when Bite Your Teeth exists :derpga:

Literally my second favorite song on the album :triggered: 

Ew, David!

Just now, TheSlash said:

Literally my second favorite song on the album :triggered: 

TheSlash

#9 Bite Your Teeth

Bite-Your-Teeth.jpg

Average score: 7.20

Highest score: 10 - @TheSlash

Lowest score: 3 - @gagapoppy

Comment(s):

@ProjectJoanne : this is some clownery sounding music to it’s Poppy Seed finest :giggle:

@SimonSays : A ****ing banger! This is really outstanding and the transitions are pretty enjoyable.

@Esteban : Heavy, I love how she sings on it. Really nu metal! "Don't cry keep on tryin!". I love the "powerpuff girls" part after the first chorus. The lounge trip hop bridge is cool until the REALLY heavy guitar riff with spooky horror movies screams comes. I love the fact she introduces the melody of "sick of the sun" as an outro of that song. It shows her intention of breaking rules of songs, genres, structures, it's like a mixtape and we could even imagine cut the songs diferently.

Poppy about the song:

So that was the last song we wrote for the record, and it actually comes from an Alan Watts quote, which is, “Trying to define yourself is like trying to bite your own teeth.” It has one of the heaviest breakdowns on the album.

Listen to the song below

Spoiler

Ew, David!

TheSlash

#8 Sick of the Sun

Sick-of-the-Sun.jpg

Average score: 8.25

Highest score: 11 - @SimonSays @gagapoppy

Lowest score: 4 - @Marges

Comment(s):

@SimonSays : My favorite lyrics. I find this song to be very relatable, it makes me feel sad, but I like it. I started crying right now just by listening to it. This one and the final track break my heart a little. But this one especially makes me thing about depression and that stuff. I mean, I’m sick of the sun too. I don’t really know if that’s what it means but... yeah :laughga:

@Esteban : Kind of boring but I like the shoegaze guitars, the smooth atmosphere. The languorous guitars. The blurry sound design...The theme reminds me of what a californian friend of mine told me about the "California Spleen", when you are depressed because "Yeah.. Another perfect and sunny day in LA.. I can't chill in my bed without feeling guilty". Allie X did something similar with "Not so bad in LA".

So it makes sense for me finding this kind of song here. She talks about the sun but it's blinding that's why the sound design seems under morphine. The idea is good but the song is not the best for sure.

No comment from Poppy this time :noparty: 

Listen to the song below:

Spoiler

Ew, David!

TheSlash

I kinda feel indifferent about this one. It's a nice interlude-like song and I like the lyrics and production, but compared to the rest of the album ( sans "Nothing I Need" :sure:  ) it deserved #9, tbh :shrug: 

Ew, David!

TheSlash

#7 Sit/Stay

Sit-Stay.jpg

Average score: 8.50

Highest score: 11 - @Marges @Tranquility

Lowest score: 5 - @gagapoppy

Comment(s):

@ProjectJoanne : this one is REALLY interesting... I love it so far but I still feel like I need to give it a few more listens :giggle:

@SimonSays : I didn’t know how much I needed this song AHHHHHHH!!! I love the lyrics, production is perfect. I really want this song to get a MV, it could be something like Anything Like Me.

@Esteban : Acid indus breakbeat during the intro, verses and outro counterbalanced by a cute etheral popy chorus which reminds me of Grimes with soft garage rock guitars in it. As almost every song on this album, the musical ambivalence stick to the main theme of duality and emancipation though madness.

Poppy about the song:

“Sit Stay” I wrote when I was feeling very boxed in, and it’s me communicating that I’m not going to listen to the people that I’ve been listening to for years tell me that I can’t do something that I’ve always wanted to do. The more melodic part is, in a way, a warning to people that are just beginning in music because this thing that you love could also be the thing that’s killing you. “Don’t go blind from the stars in your eyes/Welcome to the new starting line.” Don’t look at the world like, “Once I get this, then I’ll be happy.” You should just focus [on] being happy right now because it’s all important.

Listen to the song below:

Spoiler

Ew, David!

itsmebuddy

I don’t hate this song it’s just that I feel like the chorus should’ve been it’s own song, and the verses have their own song too. I just feel like they don’t belong together. Also the horrible ending...

totally stream "bedroom floor" by it's me, buddy :D

Archived