💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
opinion

There is nothing impressive about Billie, but...

Quark

Featured Posts

StrawberryBlond

I'm left feeling a bit underwhelmed as well, especially on that Everything I Ever Wanted song. She's ok at the moment but she's not deserving of ultimate praise just yet. The music industry is setting her up for a fall at this rate. When she get a bit older and starts to want to look more traditionally feminine and sing about sex, people will call her a sell-out. The same thing happened somewhat to Lorde and Avril Lavigne before her. It's the big downside to finding fame at a very young age. You're still growing emotionally and it'll be reflected in your songs and image. And at that age, a lot of girls can be very rebellious against traditional femininity and being boy-obsessed. So, they reject it. But when they start thinking those things are actually kinda cool when they get into their early 20's when their mindset starts changing, that will also be reflected in their music and image. And that's when their fanbase starts dying because they think "the old ____ is gone, replaced by this plastic Barbie." It's why I'm against very young people getting recording contracts. Wait until you've become a fully grown adult yet and are in full bloom so the world will see straight away what kind of artist you are and probably always will be.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Glamourpuss
8 minutes ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I'm left feeling a bit underwhelmed as well, especially on that Everything I Ever Wanted song. She's ok at the moment but she's not deserving of ultimate praise just yet. The music industry is setting her up for a fall at this rate. When she get a bit older and starts to want to look more traditionally feminine and sing about sex, people will call her a sell-out. The same thing happened somewhat to Lorde and Avril Lavigne before her. It's the big downside to finding fame at a very young age. You're still growing emotionally and it'll be reflected in your songs and image. And at that age, a lot of girls can be very rebellious against traditional femininity and being boy-obsessed. So, they reject it. But when they start thinking those things are actually kinda cool when they get into their early 20's when their mindset starts changing, that will also be reflected in their music and image. And that's when their fanbase starts dying because they think "the old ____ is gone, replaced by this plastic Barbie." It's why I'm against very young people getting recording contracts. Wait until you've become a fully grown adult yet and are in full bloom so the world will see straight away what kind of artist you are and probably always will be.

Billie seems like she's different though. She seems to be surrounded by a solid support network and she's not living a drink and drugs rock n roll lifestyle because she opposes those things. 

You raised some valid points but I don't think we'll see a trajectory full of clichés with Billie because she appears to be more real and down to earth. She seems to be more switched on. 

androiduser
10 hours ago, funkyhaus said:

The Sound of Music tribute completely rebranded Gaga and changed a lot of people’s opinions of her, she went from being a weird pop star to someone with recognised vocal talent. 
My point was when people get bored of Billies shtick, she may not have it as easy to become something else

that may be true, but why do you think she won't progress in a different direction, not following Gaga's path? There have been many stars without their "Sound of Music" moment and they continued their careers successfully.

She's a poor man's Lana or Lorde. They are infintiely better but Billie has the label backing and the image to sell it better. Finneas also gave her a pretty unique and edgy production in Bad Guy.

TheSlash
10 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

I agree with you on that in general. But I think Billie is different. I remember one interview where she was asked if she wanted to have a statement with her baggy clothes. And she said, she didn't intend to and if there's any message behind it, then that everybody should wear what they feel comfortable in. She also said smth along the lines of "Maybe, when I'm 18, I wanna wear a dress and do makeup." bc apparently parents from Billie fans praised and thanked her for not promoting sexy and "revealing" female clothes, but that's not what she wanted to say with that.

So, bottom line, Billie always communicated that she may wear tight dresses and like "female things" in the future, which imo sets her apart from other younger artists where such a style change initiated their downfall ( fame-wise).

Ew, David!

The girl is talented. Vocally she has good placement and usage of runs and vibrato. Especially for an 18 year old. Her musical style is a mixture of Lana and Lorde. 

THAT BEING SAID- I feel her voice is very forced. Meaning, she is singing at a constant surpressed volume. She sings with technique but no volume- and the vocal volume is down purposefully to stylize her voice. I want her to break away from that and just sing out but I feel she is being pushed to have a certain style vocally. She is able to sing out- there is a video of her singing “Fallen” by Alicia Keys. Record companies push for individuality when it comes to voice- more so than talent. They want the voice to be a product- and the more ther consumer can connect with or identify the voice, the more likely it will make money. 

yes and

There is so much hate on her lately. Is it so hard to accept that someone is popular and successful when your fave is not and never will? :enigma:

Did you think I'd show up in a limousine? No

13 minutes ago, dancewithnobody said:

There is so much hate on her lately. Is it so hard to accept that someone is popular and successful when your fave is not and never will? :enigma:

I don't hate her but she's obviously shilled really hard by the industry.

Diamond heart99
1 hour ago, dancewithnobody said:

My fave is Lady Gaga so...

I’m blonde, I’m skinny, I’m rich and I’m a little bit of a bitch

23 minutes ago, Floppy said:

Well what's impressive about you? Would you happen to have a few hits songs or any Grammys laying around?:vegas:

By your definition no one in the GP should criticize music or artists just because they don’t make music. 

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

By your definition no one in the GP should criticize music or artists just because they don’t make music. 

No I wasn't being serious.

ryhanna
14 hours ago, StrawberryBlond said:

Did it? From my understanding, Lorde's transition to an adult artist has been pretty smooth. Melodrama was well received and her musical progression was highly praised, was it not? 

On topic, I think it's because Billie's music is somewhat simple but also has lot of nuance to it. It's edgy in a way, it's different from a lot of other music that's popular right now. It's funky, poppy, but kind of dark. There's a lot to unpack and it's effective. Like StrawberryBlond, I'm interested to see what she does in the next few years. Being a young artist must be very weird. If anyone brought up the things that I did and made as a teenager, I'd be mortified. I'm not the same person anymore, and I doubt Billie will still be wanting to do things exactly the same way in 5 years from now. 

StrawberryBlond
On 2/15/2020 at 8:25 AM, ryhanna said:

Did it? From my understanding, Lorde's transition to an adult artist has been pretty smooth. Melodrama was well received and her musical progression was highly praised, was it not?

When she did that video, Magnets, with Disclosure, some people were rather put out by the more sexual image she was projecting in the video when she'd never done anything remotely like this before. And when her music took on a more mainstream edge with Green Light, her fans were questioning if she was selling out. Melodrama sold nowhere near as well as her debut and she had no proper hits from it and is now widely regarded as a one hit wonder. It's like people thought she changed a bit too much. She didn't really, I do think she made a smooth transition but the public can be very steadfast when it comes to how they want artists to be and they can be very reluctant to change.

On 2/15/2020 at 12:08 AM, NCgaga said:

The girl is talented. Vocally she has good placement and usage of runs and vibrato. Especially for an 18 year old. Her musical style is a mixture of Lana and Lorde. 

THAT BEING SAID- I feel her voice is very forced. Meaning, she is singing at a constant surpressed volume. She sings with technique but no volume- and the vocal volume is down purposefully to stylize her voice. I want her to break away from that and just sing out but I feel she is being pushed to have a certain style vocally. She is able to sing out- there is a video of her singing “Fallen” by Alicia Keys. Record companies push for individuality when it comes to voice- more so than talent. They want the voice to be a product- and the more ther consumer can connect with or identify the voice, the more likely it will make money. 

Gotta disagree, anyone can belt or sing out as you put it. In Opera it is the easiest part of what we do. It takes much more support to sing piano than it does forte. Is she going for a certain sound probably. Is that being forced on her, I don't think so. The female voice matures in the mid 20's. So we will see if she wants to go that way, but what she is doing now takes great control and vocal technique. I think she naturally has this and if and when she wants to go full voice she will do so and it won't be hard for her.

Archived