question

G.U.Y. It could have been a hit?

Focz

Featured Posts

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FfFfFfFF

Released by someone else or by Gaga at a different point in her career, for sure. The song is electro-pop perfection.

Andreu
1 hour ago, PartySick said:

The choreo alone>>>

It's so hard to resist doing the dance when it comes on at work :enigma:

Really, Applause, G.U.Y., DWUW, and Gypsy were the only single-able songs on ARTPOP imo. Dope and Venus were good buzz singles (Dope hit #8 on some chart, right? :enigma:).

But every song on that album is amazing :diane:

on some chart :triggered:

on the effing Billboard Hot 100 :triggered:

:vegas:

illySpencer
5 hours ago, TEANUS said:

I think with this scenario....

Applause - Aug 2013 (VMAs)

Do What U Want (feat. Miguel) - October 2013 (AMAs, X Factor, The Voice)

Gypsy - January 2014 (Grammys, Jimmy Fallon)

G.U.Y. - April 2014 (BBMAs from artRave)

MANiCURE - July 2014 (VMAs)

we could have had 2 top 5s, 3/4 top 15s, and  all singles top 40

More like this

Aura - Lead

Venus - 2nd single

MANiCURE - Third single

ARTPOP - Final single 

ltlmnstr
5 hours ago, the Devil of Pop said:

I heard that radio DJs blacklisted it even when it got requested because they didn't "smell a hit" :rip: Whatever that means. No payola/radio deals? 

Elvis Duran still to this day pisses me off

ArtGagaPop
5 hours ago, the Devil of Pop said:

I heard that radio DJs blacklisted it even when it got requested because they didn't "smell a hit" :rip: Whatever that means. No payola/radio deals? 

The pretty much same thing happend to Million Reasons/shallow before the Superbowl/Oscars success pretty much forced them to play the songs. US radio really hates Gaga :wtf:

nattuggla

Imho G.U.Y., Venus and Aura are fan favorites and never would have done well with the GP.

I think Applause, DWUW and maybe Gypsy and Manicure are the best single choices from the album. 

Didymus

No. It's too loud for radio. But it could've been a hit in the clubs as well as an audience favorite. ARTPOP's sound just wasn't radio friendly enough to compete with other pop music at the time.

And that's a good thing :whitney:

SevenWonder

Gypsy would have been a huge hit. The GP would have love that song. I like GUY. But Gypsy is so good. 

JustJames

We still talk about ARTPOP because we stan Lady Gaga, an incredible artist whose limited official discocography is amazing yet still pales in comparison to her unreleased material. She is an artist who has shown her brilliance in songwriting, singing, instrumentalist, actress, and other areas; she tried to convey complex messages through her albums, and many feel that attempt came to a 'fork' of sorts with ARTPOP as the released product didn't seem to match any of her communicated intentions. Why WOULDN'T we continue to discuss this era that had so much promise, but ultimately derailed our favorite artist - one of the best artists of our time - and is still a puzzle we can't solve? 

So, anyway... I totally agree that Applause was the best choice as a lead single. However, DWUW was obviously - even with the weird R Kelly verse and new message - the next in line as a viable single with its sound and ability to propel Gaga in the GP as an artist. It needed to have pixel-perfect promo and release cycle, but beginning with its status as a 'promo single / replacement single' and continuing with its controversial performances and weird context surrounded by her "Lady Gaga is over" series (which makes sense w/ the album breaking down the artist as a medium of art; but that hadn't been conveyed nor had the album dropped) and culminating w/ the dropped MV ruined all momentum. 

I don't think the era was hopeless re: GP's perception. Sure, she was oversaturated but the artRAVE sales, Applause chart numbers, and DWUW acclaim/early charts indicate the music would've won over the media. The problem was that nothing was there to get things back on course once DWUW went awry. Aura was not going to be successful with the intro and lack of bridge; Venus was far too camp and she hadn't introduced the mythology theme of the era well enough for it to make sense; G.U.Y. was too loud and produced while a bop; a ballad like Dope was a no-go; Fashion, Donatella, Swine, and JnD were never going to be singles; ARTPOP was gorgeous but only as a promo vehicle. That left Sexxx Dreams, MANiCURE, and Gypsy. 

Sexxx Dreams could have done very well if there was 0% chance that censorship would impact sales and radio play. On its own, the song was catchy and would have hit Top 40 easily. A fantastic MV and performances would have gotten it into the Top 20. A remix with Rihanna/similar feature would have gotten it into the Top 10.

MANiCURE was a safer option; it wasn't as overproduced as other songs, it had catchy lyrics, danceable beat, and crazy-enough sound/lyrics that it was on-brand. Her looks - the 'nerd' with crazy/messy hair and glasses - would have made for an iconic promo/MV time. Its peak may have not had as much potential as some others, but it would have done far better than #76 and after the DWUW crash, a safe #36 would have allowed the era to continue. 

Gypsy, while I much prefer one of the demos that was less produced and had less of a 'Mario' gamer sound to it, should have been the final single for the era regardless of what came before it. Its storyline songwriting was a new sound for Gaga, its chorus was anthemic, and the lyrics+sound made it sound like an updated EOG song for her catalogue. The MV would have been epic. Following a decent recovery single after DWUW, it would have ended the era around #15 IMO. Following G.U.Y. or DWUW immediately, it would have been closer to #40. But, with a flawless rollout:

Applause (#4) > DWUW (#5) > Sexxx Dreams (#8) > Gypsy (#6) ; if Sexxx Dreams would have been censored:

Applause (#4) > DWUW (#5) > MANiCURE (#12) > Gypsy (#10) 

I remember calling KISS FM when the music video came out requesting them to play it and they said “I don’t think we  have that anymore”. I was so embarrassed. Honestly, at that time, the media pitted KP against LG and Prism was such a success with the GP.  I’ve always thought ARTPOP in its entirety was underrated. 

Archived