💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
question

G.U.Y. It could have been a hit?

Focz

Featured Posts

The song is in my top 3 songs of ARTPOP :pray:

And I would like to ask you what you would think would have happened if G.U.Y. had received a good promotion or had been the second single from ARTPOP

Would have had a good reception? And at what number it would peak if it was like that? :oprah:

💜

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TEANUS

I think with this scenario....

Applause - Aug 2013 (VMAs)

Do What U Want (feat. Miguel) - October 2013 (AMAs, X Factor, The Voice)

Gypsy - January 2014 (Grammys, Jimmy Fallon)

G.U.Y. - April 2014 (BBMAs from artRave)

MANiCURE - July 2014 (VMAs)

we could have had 2 top 5s, 3/4 top 15s, and  all singles top 40

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

Economy

The song itself had potential for the time it was released. The song matched radio pretty good

But Gaga was overexposed, people were not interested in her anymore at the time and on top of that video was way delayed (as usual back then for Gaga) and song got no promo

At the time I was surprised it flopped  that hard but looking back it's understandable why it did

letsgetdirrty

Yes! I don’t know why it flopped :saladga: maybe it was too ahead of its time for certain people 

Xtina | Gaga | Britney | Madonna | Beyoncé | Janet | Ciara | Ashanti | Brandy | Monica | Paula | Jessica

TEANUS
4 minutes ago, Faysalaaa said:

Its the worst song on ARTPOP, I still cant believe it was chosen as a single

I think a lot of people would’ve enjoyed it’s tongue-in-cheekiness, the ‘G.U.Y.’ / ‘Girl Under You’ double meaning....very Gaga and also in that time (Happy, Fancy, Talk Dirty, etc. were popular) upbeat, unserious, poppy songs were topping the charts and EDM was peaking....hip-hip hadn’t taken over yet 

British social ladies with upturned pinkies, glasses clinking // xoxoTEANUS

G.U.Y. still would’ve flopped no matter if the era was a huge success.

Looking back on this album. Applause and DWUW were the best single choice for ARTPOP. Gypsy would’ve been a better single choice imo. 

3 minutes ago, Faysalaaa said:

No Way Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

💜

JazzGa

I heard that radio DJs blacklisted it even when it got requested because they didn't "smell a hit" :rip: Whatever that means. No payola/radio deals? 

God created Adam and Eve, but Gọdga collabed with BrianđŸŽș and SteveđŸŽ·

I like the song but it's not the best. And The video for me was just too much. It's a great video of course but I feel like she tried to fit too much into it like the Minecraft shot for example; for me it made it less enjoyable.

rumours
24 minutes ago, Faysalaaa said:

Not when the abomination known as "Donatella" exists.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBCSchitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBCSchitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

boneknuckleskin

No. It’s just not a very good song. The video is atrocious. I have never gravitated toward it and never understood why so many LMs like it or MANiCURE. Or Swine for that matter.

Applause is without a doubt the biggest hit on ARTPOP. She should have continued with DWUW and released the video. Her AMA performance with R. Kelly is one of her best televised TV performances. PeriodT. We also got that amazing ARTPOP performance on Jimmy Fallon wasn’t it? Also one of her best but ARTPOP, while a good song I don’t think would have been a hit. Same for SexxxDreams. Dope was a fluke. She followed the correct trajectory with her ARTPOP singles as far as Applause / DWUW / Gypsy are concerned. She just didn’t commit with DWUW or Gypsy. She was really losing direction by the time we got the Gypsy SNL performance. Gypsy maybe could have been SexxxDreams and SexxxDreams would have done about as well or maybe a little better, but I don’t think it would have garnered the attention that Applause or DWUW did. Both Applause and DWUW still sound great today imo. Applause was her one true hit. That song was everywhere, car commercials, sporting events, and is just a bop. 

If we could be on a different timeline I would keep Venus as a buzz single, the Applause, DWUW w/ video, and SexxxDreams as the main three singles. Gypsy could have been a little gift for the fans to close out the era.

giskardsb

I don’t know why so many here hate GUY it was a very quintessentially Gaga song.  Should have been the lead it’s 100x better than Applause. 

Archived