💓 DAWN OF CHROMATICA 💓

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
other

DJWS suggested R Kelly for DWYW

Regina George

Featured Posts

Luke78619
22 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

This is a forum, if you're not okay with discussions (sorry to inform you) but then you should leave this website :triggered: he clearly said that many people tried to explain him why they shouldn't work with him and they still did it. At the end of the day like you said this is only a discussion because I read in a thread last week that fans blamer her make up artist for R Kelly thing and no one was there to be THIS vocal about it like you are now.

Huh? Where?

"It wasn't like we did the record and everybody's like, 'Oh my God, don't put R. Kelly on this. He's an asshole.' I think, dollar for dollar, R. Kelly as a songwriter—not as a human being, but as a songwriter—is one of the most talented people in the last 20 years," 

“Gave it to Jimmy [Iovine, former chairman and CEO of Interscope Records]. Jimmy was like, 'This is dope.' Put it on a Beats commercial...”

“and, listen, that thing went from the bottom all the way through the machine to the very top to the radio. Nobody said s--t to us, right? So it's not just her.”

Three times he said the exact opposite :green:

insta: good_lukeing | I have nothing else to promote

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regina George
1 minute ago, Luke78619 said:

Huh? Where?

" It wasn't like we did the record and everybody's like, 'Oh my God, don't put R. Kelly on this. He's an asshole.' I think, dollar for dollar, R. Kelly as a songwriter—not as a human being, but as a songwriter—is one of the most talented people in the last 20 years,"

“Gave it to Jimmy [Iovine, former chairman and CEO of Interscope Records]. Jimmy was like, 'This is dope.' Put it on a Beats commercial...”

“and, listen, that thing went from the bottom all the way through the machine to the very top to the radio. Nobody said s--t to us, right? So it's not just her.”

Three times he said the exact opposite :green:

I misread the first wrote aka 

" It wasn't like we did the record and everybody's like, 'Oh my God, don't put R. Kelly on this. He's an asshole.' I think, dollar for dollar, R. Kelly as a songwriter—not as a human being, but as a songwriter—is one of the most talented people in the last 20 years," I read ''wasn't'' like ''was''.

Sorry for that and I'll edit my reply but I still think that allegations against Kelly were more than loud at the time and that everyone knew about them - even Gaga talked about it during DWYW promo.

LilyLark
18 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

I misread the first wrote aka 

" It wasn't like we did the record and everybody's like, 'Oh my God, don't put R. Kelly on this. He's an asshole.' I think, dollar for dollar, R. Kelly as a songwriter—not as a human being, but as a songwriter—is one of the most talented people in the last 20 years," I read ''wasn't'' like ''was''.

Sorry for that and I'll edit my reply but I still think that allegations against Kelly were more than loud at the time and that everyone knew about them - even Gaga talked about it during DWYW promo.

Agree. I do think it's historical revisionism, though, that the music industry acts like he was being ostracized at the time—dude was still being invited to MTV and being put in the front rows next to huge artists and was working with many huge A list stars (not just Gaga...but Gags the one who ate the most sh*t about working with him). Jimmy Iovine was also heavily pushing his "comeback" at the time.

I think it was a huge f*ck up on Gags part, but she also went through a psychotic break less than a year afterwards...she was clearly not in a good headspace. Plus, many of us think she was on hardcore drugs at the time, too. So I can sort of understand how it all happened, even though it doesn't excuse it.

But anyway, all this sh*t is why I wish fans would just let the song die. There's nothing wrong with listening to it, imo, or discussing it on GGD.... but talking about it on social media, posting youtube clips, etc.....it just reminds people of the whole mess. The general public has a short memory, and most would forget it/let it go (like they have with other artists who worked with him) despite all the news...but stans constantly bringing it up in the public sphere doesn't help.

1 hour ago, Morphine Prince said:

And he was right. DWUW is one of Gaga's BEST singles. R. Kelly sounds amazing on it. 

Musically, he was right. I don't care what anyone thinks. 

When he and Gaga launch into the second chours:

570.png

It sounds SO good its unreal, I had this part on loop or a while :giveup:

LilyLark

Also, side-eyeing him for not dodging this question or saying "it was a mistake, not going to say anything more." As I said in my other post, it doesn't help Gaga to have it brought up.

Daylight Jokers

1 hour ago, ReginaGeorge said:

LMAO at y'all wanting Gaga to work with him AGAIN after he decided it's a good idea to bring this pedo into her album:

I mean, I personally would like to see him work with Gaga again. He's a great producer, and at the end of the day, he is not the criminal. R Kelly is. And I still listen to DWUW (the Xtina one) from time to time. 

Regina George
Just now, LGs LM said:

I mean, I personally would like to see him work with Gaga again. He's a great producer, and at the end of the day, he is not the criminal. R Kelly is. And I still listen to DWUW (the Xtina one) from time to time. 

It's comes off like me not wanting it but I was just trying to make a point about fans attacking RO for no reason and them wanting her to work with him after this... 

Daylight Jokers
3 minutes ago, ReginaGeorge said:

It's comes off like me not wanting it but I was just trying to make a point about fans attacking RO for no reason and them wanting her to work with him after this... 

I will never get those fans who attack RedOne. He literally produced 80% of Gaga's hits. :saladga:

Regina George
1 minute ago, LGs LM said:

I will never get those fans who attack RedOne. He literally produced 80% of Gaga's hits. :saladga:

same! :saladga:

JustJames

Sorry but I find it incredibly naive that anyone would ever say that Gaga had the final say on the collaboration; everything we know and love about Lady Gaga says that she isn’t someone who would ever let her or her art be compromised. Do people really think, knowing her character, that it is more plausible that she smoked too much weed in 2013 to know better than to turn her song of empowerment against the machine into a collaboration with an alleged sexual predator vs. that these artists are extremely controlled and that having her verse that spoke most poignantly about how the industry was using her replaced by a hyper-sexual contribution by R Kelly was the labels way of putting her back in line?

Like wake up. Watch her solo performances from the start of the era and listen! You think she developed a canon of songs like the solo DWUW, Princess Die, the original Manicure (“I quit!”), ARTPOP (“I tried to sell my soul...”), Aura (“I killed my former”), etc. just to pull a 180 and decide DWUW was now going to feature R Kelly humping her unconscious body in its music video?

For anyone who prefers the RK version, please tell me what his verse means in the context of the song’s original message of Gaga’s body hurting from the use and abuse of the industry but that it could use her body, the media could say what they want, but that they’ll never have her mind her or own her life? 

“Taking shots” and “getting naughty” are not the lyrics of a brilliant songwriter adding their spin to an extremely powerful track. The final LP was stripped of almost all of the cries for help Gaga tried to give us. That she was forced to sell and promote her defiled art was sick; that people still can’t see that this is what happened is sad; but, that fans continue to say things like “she was just acting out” and “his version slaps!” are honestly depressing and show how the industry succeeded in its mission.

Gagaism

One thing is different from another. R. Kelly is trash, YES, he is.

But we can’t deny DWUW is one of her best songs like, waaaay good. I love her version with XTina, I got shocked and loved them performing but the version with him is better, their voice sounded good together. Just a shame Gaga has to cut that off because all of his mess.

FameHookah

One of the top 3 songs on ARTPOP, had the potential to be #1 ...

Such a shame that it was stained with that collab and she will never aknowledge it or sing it ever again :(

WTF is MDNA

FameHookah
14 minutes ago, JustJames said:

Sorry but I find it incredibly naive that anyone would ever say that Gaga had the final say on the collaboration; everything we know and love about Lady Gaga says that she isn’t someone who would ever let her or her art be compromised. Do people really think, knowing her character, that it is more plausible that she smoked too much weed in 2013 to know better than to turn her song of empowerment against the machine into a collaboration with an alleged sexual predator vs. that these artists are extremely controlled and that having her verse that spoke most poignantly about how the industry was using her replaced by a hyper-sexual contribution by R Kelly was the labels way of putting her back in line?

Like wake up. Watch her solo performances from the start of the era and listen! You think she developed a canon of songs like the solo DWUW, Princess Die, the original Manicure (“I quit!”), ARTPOP (“I tried to sell my soul...”), Aura (“I killed my former”), etc. just to pull a 180 and decide DWUW was now going to feature R Kelly humping her unconscious body in its music video?

For anyone who prefers the RK version, please tell me what his verse means in the context of the song’s original message of Gaga’s body hurting from the use and abuse of the industry but that it could use her body, the media could say what they want, but that they’ll never have her mind her or own her life? 

“Taking shots” and “getting naughty” are not the lyrics of a brilliant songwriter adding their spin to an extremely powerful track. The final LP was stripped of almost all of the cries for help Gaga tried to give us. That she was forced to sell and promote her defiled art was sick; that people still can’t see that this is what happened is sad; but, that fans continue to say things like “she was just acting out” and “his version slaps!” are honestly depressing and show how the industry succeeded in its mission.

This.. thats why she self sabotaged the whole era, she was rebelling and hurting so bad, i still dont know WHY she renewed her contract...

WTF is MDNA

freebit

He's explaining how R.Kelly wasn't considered a complete pariah back then like he is now. I also agree R. Kelly is a muscially talented man and DWUW is a great song while also wishing he'd rot in hell -  think most of us would agree. Things don't have to be absolutes. He can be a completely terrible person and talented.  It would be nice to add that he doesn't approve of him now, but it would also feel a bit performative. :shrug:

2 hours ago, ReginaGeorge said:

''As Blair recalled, it was he who suggested Kelly jump on the track. "It wasn't like we did the record and everybody's like, 'Oh my God, don't put R. Kelly on this. He's an asshole.' I think, dollar for dollar, R. Kelly as a songwriter—not as a human being, but as a songwriter—is one of the most talented people in the last 20 years," he explained, citing hits like "I Believe I Can Fly" and "You Are Not Alone" as instances of Kelly's unimpeachable songwriting prowess.''

And y'all dare to come for RedOne who was nothing but nice and respectful towards her. SMH

Yes there is already a topic about this interview but I thought this would be an interesting topic to discuss on it's own :) 

What does this have to do with RedOne? I still don't understand the RedOne stans. A better argument would be posting a recent work of his that is great (good luck on that :fan:). 

Archived