Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
event

Shakira & JLo Halftime Show Rises In Ratings

ThisGuyTony

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I'm not attacking them in the slightest, I'm talking only about the show.

You called them has-beens which is one of the worst things you can say about an artist. You've been a member here for 8 years, nobody is going to hate you for this, just say you were wrong and let it go.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jaXXXon
43 minutes ago, _Scheisse said:

Hasbeens lol

Shakira has had waaay more WW hits than Gaga in the last 7 years. Take a sit. 

Overall though Gaga has more WW hits and bigger ones than Shakira though. I mean TF + TFM + BTW + ASIB spun more WW hits than Shakira's entire career. I know Shakira is still big in Latin America but she hasn't had as many hits as Gaga in Europe, Australia, Japan or America. 

Also, I find them extremely talented as performers and entertainers and they are icons BUT they aren't relevant in terms of hits as much as they were. J.Lo can't score a hit and last I checked Shakira's "WW hits of the last 7 years" aren't THAT big. 

Lastly, these ratings have more to do with the game itself than who performed though. Or are you guys saying Katy Perry is the most iconic, popular and interesting artist to EVER do the Super Bowl since her ratings are historically the biggest? :giggle:

I LOVE GGD
1 minute ago, Didymus said:

I'm not telling them ****. I'm just saying I didn't like the show and stating my reasons why. I'm not attacking them in the slightest, I'm talking only about the show. You guys are just being way too sensitive about this (I probably worded it too dramatically too, ngl). It's just my irrelevant ass opinion, which I do have the right, coincidentally, to share, just like Shakira and JLO have the awesome right to perform whatever show they want to perform. How is telling me I need to get over my "retrograde ideas" any different from me metaphorically telling Shakira and JLO they need to get over their own outdated ideas about how to put on an entertaining show?

Watch what you say/write. And don't put the pretext that you have the right to express your obvious judgmental ideas to demerit what these women do.  It comes across as  low key as misogynist which you might not be, but your wording shows other wise. 

Florian

Who the F are we to judge two talented artists based on their attitude, behaviour or pieces of clothing ?! :toofunny:

These strong women are reclaiming their bodies and the image they want to show. If they want to be sexy, let them be sexy. If they want to show that at 50 you can put on a show, do splits, do kicks or whatever, let them be. They're showing women that if they want they can.

Some here are trying to set themselves as some paragon of freedom but their views and speeches are so retrograde :toofunny: The irony of it.

Davian

So first you say this.

34 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I'm not shaming them.

And in the same post you said things like this...

35 minutes ago, Didymus said:

Why is the only way older women can prove they're still relevant by trying to be as hot as a 20 year old? Because women like Shakira and JLO refuse to switch things up, that's why. They're defending an old paradigm: that women should act like wh-res on stage and be called "empowering". Nah. I'm over that and I'm not gonna shut up about it either because it's not politically correct.

I don’t even have words for this:saladga: You’re not only shaming them for their sexuality, but also their age. I’d recommend you to think about what you said and try to understand why it’s not ok on many it ways. This has nothing to do with you not liking the performance, because that’s ok! It’s about how you express it and shaming them in such way is not cute imo. It’s so not what you expect from a Gaga fan, especially not in 2020.

What you want Lady Gaga🥂 What you want with Christina🥂

TheArcher

Shakira is big in Latin America, Europe and Middle East. But like all artists, she has weak markets: Asia, Oceanía and North America. 

I LOVE GGD
7 minutes ago, jaXXXon said:

Overall though Gaga has more WW hits and bigger ones than Shakira though. I mean TF + TFM + BTW + ASIB spun more WW hits than Shakira's entire career. I know Shakira is still big in Latin America but she hasn't had as many hits as Gaga in Europe, Australia, Japan or America. 

Also, I find them extremely talented as performers and entertainers and they are icons BUT they aren't relevant in terms of hits as much as they were. J.Lo can't score a hit and last I checked Shakira's "WW hits of the last 7 years" aren't THAT big. 

Lastly, these ratings have more to do with the game itself than who performed though. Or are you guys saying Katy Perry is the most iconic, popular and interesting artist to EVER do the Super Bowl since her ratings are historically the biggest? :giggle:

I love Gaga. I truly do but let's not pretend that the actual show was offered to Gaga because it was first offered to Adele. Gaga was not in the peak of her career and the songs she majorly sang were old hits. It's not about being a top of the billboard what made her or Jlo or Shakira to be ultimately be chosen but their career as a whole.

Didymus
1 minute ago, Admin said:

You called them has-beens which is one of the worst things you can say about an artist. You've been a member here for 8 years, nobody is going to hate you for this, just say you were wrong and let it go.

I obviously worded my opinion (read: I think Shakira and JLO have nothing interesting to say anymore, artistically) wrongly.

I just don't get this place anymore. Madonna's a constant target for "she's too old to act like a stripper, her Holy Water songs are so ****ing embarrassing and try-hard" bashing here (which goes completely unchallenged), I've seen more than 100 comments describing Beyoncé as a performer who "does nothing more than shake her ass" but I'm now saying that JLO and Shakira's performance was uninteresting because they simply tried to be "sexy" and I'm being called a sexist? I feel like I'm in the twilight zone rn.

There's an obvious double standard here and I'm not liking it.

jaXXXon
41 minutes ago, Admin said:

"Chantaje" alone has 2.5 BILLION views on YouTube.

That's because YouTube is the main way people consume music in Latin America. If the same applied for Gaga, Shallow would've had 3 BILLION at this point.

I live in Europe and Chantaje wasn't a huge hit, especially in Scandinavia where no one knows wtf that is. Her last big hit was Waka Waka, she's been irrelevant here since. Some European countries did bop a bit more to her latin singles in the past decade but those are like, what? Two songs all in all? 

She's an icon, she's very talented but she ain't exactly super relevant. Gaga is waaaaaaay more relevant globally. 

Gagaloo911
43 minutes ago, Rio said:

Has she? You mean the few Latin pop hits that hardly anyone knows

So, what, because they're hits in Latin countries, that don't speak English, but who have millions and millions of people, they don't matter and so equate to nobody? 

The ethnocentrism jumped out.

Like just because they may not be hits in English speaking countries, doesn't mean no one knows them. :awkney:

Literally tens of millions of people in Latin countries know them, from countries the songs were hits. 

The world doesn't revolve around Anglo countries.

And this is coming from someone who's from an English-speaking country.. 

OT: Good for them! The Art Police LOST! 

TWICE on hatius

Not y’all discredit the biggest WW superstar who is multitalented. At least, Shakira can still move her hips in all 4 directions, which I know many of you, or all of you wish Gaga still does hihi. No Shakira slanders on my watch.

Edit: I regretted with the hips comment. But we really don’t want be in arguments with Shakira’s stans right now.

Please ignore the spelling in username. I am a Beyonce stan afterall.

Thomas P
10 minutes ago, Didymus said:

I'm not sexist in the slightest.

Maybe not you, but much of what you’ve said in this thread, yes

I’m a simple guy to please, if you like Melodrama, we chill.

Didymus
5 minutes ago, Florian said:

They're showing women that if they want they can.

If they want... to be sexy? Right. Fine.

I just expect a little bit more from a show nowadays. No hate. I just think plenty of female artists these days have shown that "sexy" doesn't immediately have to translate to having a rapper touch your butt. I'll stand with  them, not because I think JLO is doing something wrong but just 'cause I think it's not the best representation of female sexuality. It's more about what male viewers want to watch, really. And that's my problem. How that's sexist I still don't get.

Archived