💙 HEAVY METAL LOVER T-SHIRT 💚

Follow Gaga Daily on Telegram
celeb

Tyler, The Creator calls out the Grammys

Guest Blue Madonna

Featured Posts

Guest Blue Madonna

In an interview after his win for Best Rap Album, Tyler, The Creator has spoken out about how black artists (and I think his point in general also applies to non-white artists; I think the argument applies to a lot of Asian and Latin artists as well) are often confined to the 'Urban' or rap categories in award shows. 

I think he is totally correct. Listening to IGOR I can understand why it was placed in 'rap', but really it is just as much a pop album, a soul album, or R&B album as it is rap imo. Also something to keep in mind is that I interpret his n word comment not as saying that 'Urban' is a slur, but more that it is PC code for 'black music', which I also agree with. 

Post Malone easily switched between the rap and pop genres, and other artists such as Ariana Grande incorporated elements of hip-hop, R&B and soul without being confined to these genres. I am in no way criticising these artists, just pointing out the difference between them and artists of colour. 

here are two videos which I think fleshed out the situation quite well:

Spoiler

I think it's brave of him to speak out about this, but I'm glad he did. I think the Grammys are moving in the right direction but he has made some points. I hope this doesn't affect his relationship with the Grammys (currently on good terms obviously; they asked him to perform and he won the Rap Album Grammy) because I think he said it very well and comes across as appreciative for his award and not bitter. I hope they take what he said on board.

Thoughts?

“I'm not homophobic. I just think 'f*gg*t' hits and hurts people. It hits. And 'gay' just means you're stupid. I don't know, we don't think about it, we're just kids. We don't think about that ****.” Said the person now lecturing others on the problematic nature of the word “urban,” after building a career off of homophobic slurs and trolling about his sexuality. 

Cookie Tookie

He’s extremely repulsive. Igor was unlistenable. Azealia Banks was 100% with her analysis and criticism of him today. He should be thankful and honored to win for his “artistry” instead of complaining about non-issues. 

Runway

Urban is code word for black music just as Pop Solo is code word for “girly music” lmao, but you don’t see pop girlies complaining 

he's totally right, I don't see IGOR as an rap album though, more of an alternstive r&b

truly one of the best albums 2019 left us, he deserved more

... and now i just sit in silence.

1 minute ago, Runway said:

Urban is code word for black music just as Pop Solo is code word for “girly music” lmao, but you don’t see pop girlies complaining 

girl... :awkney:

... and now i just sit in silence.

3 minutes ago, Runway said:

Urban is code word for black music just as Pop Solo is code word for “girls music” lmao, but you don’t see pop girlies complaining 

Maybe because the "pop girlies" don't suffer the same way in the industry that black people do.:messga:

Delulu Rogers

At least atm rap and urban allows for more artists to be recognized and win. If everyone was confined to just the pop category then imagine how many snubs and even more problems ppl would have with representations etc. Not saying it shouldn’t change or that he’s wrong but I think either way people would be complaining 

Guest Blue Madonna
12 minutes ago, SKANK said:

“I'm not homophobic. I just think 'f*gg*t' hits and hurts people. It hits. And 'gay' just means you're stupid. I don't know, we don't think about it, we're just kids. We don't think about that ****.” Said the person now lecturing others on the problematic nature of the word “urban,” after building a career off of homophobic slurs and trolling about his sexuality. 

He said some awful things ten years ago. he certainly did not build a career of homophobic slurs, don't you think others would have capitalised on their homophobia if it were that easy? he built a career off music. if trolling about his sexuality is joking about it and being ambiguous because it's difficult to be a member of the LGBT community in the rap game, then sure. as of 2017 he has been open about his attraction to men.

I certainly don't stand by his use of the f word back in (2009, 2010?), but he has totally grown past that and hasn't said **** like that in nearly ten years. He can't take back things he said years ago, but he's not like that anymore and is doing the next best thing in showing his support for minorities and making statements such as these.

30 minutes ago, SKANK said:

I feel like you've missed the entire essence of what he was saying which is that he hates that people of color get boxed into a category no matter what style of music they put out which  it true. He certainly didn't build a career out off homophobic slurs and his sexuality is his business. He can troll as much as he likes. I mean artists like Harry Styles use sexuality & gender identity as their image so it's really not that serious.

11 minutes ago, Fish said:

literally a ridiculous rant 

This comment is ridiculous and ignorant.

Archived