celeb

Billie Eilish reveals she almost ended her life

Morphine Prince

Featured Posts

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didymus

I like how she doesn't twist this into an inspirational story or whatever to bank on her trauma. Like, when Gayle asked her "what held you back" she had every opportunity to be like "there's light at the end of the tunnel, you can get through this too!" etc. but she just thought about it and said "my mom" :giveup:

Love her. Brave of her to speak about this. I'm sure way too many people can relate.

Lord Temptation
Just now, WholesomeOOf said:

Uh what are you trying to convey by saying this? What you're seemingly implying is a very ignorant and narrow-minded point of view.

Yes people deal with depression and suicidal thoughts, it not new nor is it "the thing now".

Well, the way Billie is portraying suicide as “artistic” is pretty new.

nenhures
3 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

Are you kidding me? Since when haven't people portrayed their afflictions through art? Because she's young she couldn't have possibly experienced any of it or have the need to talk about it? Must everything she does be performative and attention-seeking and not a genuine expression of her feelings? People like you are the reason why so many are afraid to reach out and talk about their woes, because then it gets brushed off and mocked. Having empathy doesn't cost anything, you know.

Didymus
4 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

That's not really true. Rock and metal bands (which, yes, believe it or not, were played on the radio as pop songs once) have been toying with suicidal lyrics forever. Evanescence, for example, mentions suicide literally as a soul's salvation in one of their songs.

It's true that pop stars have generally stayed away from those themes but Billie, of course, is more of an alternative artist who happens to make music that appeals to a very wide audience than a Taylor Swift. So it's no surprise there's more lyrical depth and variety in her songs.

geusst1235
13 minutes ago, Lord Temptation said:

The melding of art and those types of thoughts/struggles was happening years before Billie even began entertaining. Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, and many more have all touched on these ideas decades ago.

So I wouldn't necessarily say that this is new or anything at all. Perhaps it has changed in some ways sure, but overall it's been happening for quite awhile.

Archived